Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How legal would this be

Fireant

What you have there is a case of slide lightening. Not legal in ESP or CDP.

ETA: when you remove metal from the slide (espcially on a 9mm gun) you can't claim that it's cosmetic. We all know what it's for.

EXCLUDED Modifications (NON-Inclusive list):

1. Full length dust covers of carbon or stainless steel.

2. Oversize diameter magazine release buttons.

3. Trigger shoes.

4. Slide lightening (see “slide, lightening” in glossary for

further information).

Edited by Steve J

This is a rule I don't get. You can flat top a slide or tri-top it--which will remove far more metal that the above pictured slide.

Doesn't make any sense.

This is a rule I don't get. You can flat top a slide or tri-top it--which will remove far more metal that the above pictured slide.

Doesn't make any sense.

I think, as much as anything, it reduces the "impression" that the gun has been lightened. It may seem sort of silly, to someone who might massage every part on a gun used in competition, but a lot of IDPA equipment rules are intended to ensure that things look stock, even if they aren't (that is, can't be readily confirmed as stock). Reduces any perception that a modification is "needed" to improve performance. There's no way to tell if some mods have been made, such as internal lightening (or removing of "safety" devices . . .), but it is possible to police external lightening performed on a standard, round-top slide. I'd like to see a weight and dimension rule, and let the shooter decide how they get there, but HQ keeps forgetting to ask me.

I think we just had a thread about this with a gun that looked just like that. What it comes down to is if you want to make your slide lighter or just like the looks get it tri-toped. Anything other than flat/tri topped and your going into the realm of lightening. I also think, or more so agree with who said it in the first thread, its not so much a function thing as a "so and so did that and won now I have to do that to my gun" type of thing.

Edited by steel1212

I think we just had a thread about this with a gun that looked just like that. What it comes down to is if you want to make your slide lighter or just like the looks get it tri-toped. Anything other than flat/tri topped and your going into the realm of lightening. I also think, or more so agree with who said it in the first thread, its not so much a function thing as a "so and so did that and won now I have to do that to my gun" type of thing.

Or go with a Commander length slide.

Doesn't make any sense.

Would it? It appears to already be flat topped.

Or go with a Commander length slide.

Yeah, that would work but it would be a competition gun if it didn't have a 5" slide now would it lol. :D

FLAT TOP CUT, DEEP FRONT AND REAR COCKING SERRATIONS, TOP STRAP SERRATIONS, REAR SLIDE SERRATIONS, CARRY BEVEL MELTING, AND FRENCH CUTS ON THE SLIDE ARE ALL OK, AND ALL REDUCE WEIGHT. FLUTES ON THE OTHER HAND, CANNOT SERVE ANY OTHER FUNCTION.

FLAT TOP CUT, DEEP FRONT AND REAR COCKING SERRATIONS, TOP STRAP SERRATIONS, REAR SLIDE SERRATIONS, CARRY BEVEL MELTING, AND FRENCH CUTS ON THE SLIDE ARE ALL OK, AND ALL REDUCE WEIGHT. FLUTES ON THE OTHER HAND, CANNOT SERVE ANY OTHER FUNCTION.

Good points fomeister. This issues has been run to death already.

Whoa, dude! Turn down the volume. :lol:

Really? I think they are decorative, so I guess they can serve another function. Tri-topping would take way more weight off the slide than the flutes do.

"Really? I think they are decorative, so I guess they can serve another function. Tri-topping would take way more weight off the slide than the flutes do. "

Agreed. Unless those flutes are going to go all the way through and essentially become holes, they probably aren't going to take off much weight. Tri topping would be a much better option

Many "Tactical" knives have a blood groove. Just call the flutes "Tactical Blood Grooves". Their intended purpose would be to catch any "fluids" before they entered the cocking serrations minimizing slippage while performing the all important "Tactical Press Check". All would be well :D

Many "Tactical" knives have a blood groove. Just call the flutes "Tactical Blood Grooves". Their intended purpose would be to catch any "fluids" before they entered the cocking serrations minimizing slippage while performing the all important "Tactical Press Check". All would be well :D

hey Hey HEY...!!!

B)

I'm not trying to make it lighter, I just really like the look with the flutes. They are pretty shallow, so I thought it would be all right.

:roflol:

Hehe...the old arguement of, "I wanna do it, so it ought to be legal." Good luck with that one, brother. Let me know how it turns out. I like the looks of the flutes too.

Since I'm due to renew my membership, I think I'll call and ask who the decision maker would be. Then I'll send them the pictures and see if I can get an official verdict. I'm not so sure about the I want to do it so it should be legal argument. The book says you can put decorative cuts on it just not lightening cuts. We'll see.

Since I'm due to renew my membership, I think I'll call and ask who the decision maker would be. Then I'll send them the pictures and see if I can get an official verdict. I'm not so sure about the I want to do it so it should be legal argument. The book says you can put decorative cuts on it just not lightening cuts. We'll see.

Call Robert Ray. He is fair enough with his decisions I believe.....

But.....Ain't gonna happen.

You must avoid even the appearance of impropriety..... ;)

It you get an ok, have it laminated and sewn to the back of your concealment vest, you're going to need it. :P

Not blood grooves, but sand grooves. Check out the sand grooves starting on the 7th picture down here> http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/viewto...?f=6&t=4246

Not blood grooves, but sand grooves. Check out the sand grooves starting on the 7th picture down here> http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/viewto...?f=6&t=4246

I saw that one before. You mean it's the "let sand IN" grooves :roflol:

I saw that one before. You mean it's the "let sand IN" grooves :roflol:

As if you could keep the stuff out. :mellow:

I also think, or more so agree with who said it in the first thread, its not so much a function thing as a "so and so did that and won now I have to do that to my gun" type of thing.

Every single time I hear that argument I INSIST that they swap equipment with me. Then I just beat them again using their own gun. I wish everyone would do the same.