Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G35 Barrel conversion to 9mm Good or bad Idea

SammyK

Well I am asking for some advice from the experts. I was thinking about buying a G34 at first but the more i think about it I was thinking abou tgoing with a G35 and buying a 9mm conversion barrel for it so i have basically two guns in one. I currently own a G22 and a G17 so i would already have all the mags i need as well.

Is my idea good or bad? The thought is i have options if i go with a G35 and an aftermarket conversion barrel. I can then shoot what ever ammo i happen to have the most of for range practice.

What barrels whould you recomend? KKM, Barsto or am i missing another brand.

Edited by SammyK

SS makes a fine point. Otherwise I think there are sometimes extractor issues (although I've seen an equal number of opposing anecdotes about this) but little else. For my money, join GSSF and use their program to buy a new G34 for $480 and call it a day.

H.

The real question is what do you plan to use the pistol for. If you are thinking of shooting Production the G35 with a 9mm conversion would not be legal.

Well, I guess i would want to use it for IDPA and production. I haven't had the chance to try any uspsa stuff yet though. But that is the eventual plan.

SS makes a fine point. Otherwise I think there are sometimes extractor issues (although I've seen an equal number of opposing anecdotes about this) but little else. For my money, join GSSF and use their program to buy a new G34 for $480 and call it a day.

H.

What is GSSF? Sorry not familiar with that one.

Both of you make a good point though. I really didin't think that out that well before i asked i guess.

I was kinda on the fence about this for a bit. 9mm bullets being cheaper to shoot. I was going to get a G34 slide/barrel combo that I saw for sale, but then I'd have to get an aftermarket barrel to shoot lead and make it super cheap to shoot.... so I've decided on a conversion barrel since it'd be cheaper and I can shoot lead out of it straight away...

I wasn't planning on competing with it, since I'm not sure how a g34 recail feels compared to a minor g35 which I like... somehow I've just got anitch for a 9mm. The Lone Wolf ()Edit for mistake) is the cheapest I've seen so far. I still don't have one tho, still have the itch, and bought a bunch of 9mm mags (the only glock I own is a G35)

Houngan does make a good point tho. I think I'll get the conversion and if I like it, I'll bite the bullet and get a G34 through the GSSF program. I didn't realize they were so cheap tho...

Edited by MustangGreg66

I picked up a 40-9 LoneWolf barrel for my G35 and love it. During a FBI Firearms Instructor course I shot 2500 rods and didn't have one problem with either factory or handloads. I liked it so much, I just ordered a 40-9 threaded barrel which I will mate to a suppressor.

I shoot the G35 in production, but I also have a lone wolf 9mm 4 port barrel. It was around $120, and I've shot about 2000 rounds of lead through it. I love it for cheaper practice, but the ports black out the front sight fast. To extract reliably, I bent the ejector slightly(no stovepipes since then). It's accurate, has the same point of impact as my stock .40 barrel, and really helps me concentrate on my trigger pull for practice. But as stated before, it will be illegal for IDPA or production USPSA. My buddy has the 6 port barrel, but we both are thinking about selling them and getting the non-ported versions.

post-16106-1225155065_thumb.jpg

post-16106-1225155146_thumb.jpg

I shoot the G35 in production, but I also have a lone wolf 9mm 4 port barrel. It was around $120, and I've shot about 2000 rounds of lead through it. I love it for cheaper practice, but the ports black out the front sight fast. To extract reliably, I bent the ejector slightly(no stovepipes since then). It's accurate, has the same point of impact as my stock .40 barrel, and really helps me concentrate on my trigger pull for practice. But as stated before, it will be illegal for IDPA or production USPSA. My buddy has the 6 port barrel, but we both are thinking about selling them and getting the non-ported versions.

First off, Thanks to everyone so far for their input. Alot of people with more know than I.

Okay, if i go with a G35 it is legal for production class in stock form right? It is not legal for any IDPA shooting regardless (Sorry thought someone said it was).

Because 9mm ammo is cheaper right now and no ammo is really cheap right now a conversion barrel would pay for it itself and i could practice and plink at the range with the conversion barrel and save some money. While returning the G35 back to stock for anything technical.

I had no idea the lone wolf barrel was that inexpensive. Sounds like it is as accurate as the stock one as well.

Sorry, I made a mistake in my last post. The Lone Wolf are the cheaper guys on the block, not KKM. I'm not sure if any of the brands are better than any other.

Also I've heard more experienced competators say that keeping things the same for competiton and practice is important. The recoil tendancies for 9mm and .40 are much diffrent an switching back and forth all the time might not really give you quality training... that being said, I've seen people practice with .22 conversions and claim that so long as they go through a practice session with full power ammo before the match, they're fine..

I say anything that gets you out shooting more is good. and shooting more for cheaper, even better in my book..... but I'm also fairly new to this sport, so this is all jus my 0.02 worth

GLOCK SHOOTING SPORTS FOUNDATION. It costs about $35 to join and $25 to shoot in their match, the only thing I liked about joining was the nice hat you get. I decided not to renew my membership, I will use the $60 to buy reloading components. You can buy a lot of .40 cal bullets for $480. Just a thought? Good luck in your decision. Dan

Edited by danscrapbags

Okay, if i go with a G35 it is legal for production class in stock form right? It is not legal for any IDPA shooting regardless (Sorry thought someone said it was).

A G35 is legit for IDPA as long as it has a .40 caliber barrel in it. It doesn't even have to be the factory barrel, a replacement with square rifling for cast bullets is fine, as long as it is a .40.

If you would rather buy a 9mm barrel to practice with econo-ball instead of reloading .40, that is fine. Just put the .40 barrel in for matches. Simple.

Sammy,

Stick with revolvers... a lot less confusion.

Tom

You know you are probably right but for some reason i just want one of these.

Besides I've already got the revo mastered :roflol: JK

Email me or give me a shout when you get a chance.

Ah so it is legal in IDPA with the 40 barrel in it.

HMMM ,decisions, decisions.

Out of the box, you can shoot either (34 or 35) in idpa ssp or esp or uspsa production. The different sports have different rules on changes that are allowed. Both rule books can be looked at on line. I don't know about barrell swaps.

Good luck. If you reload, the 35 could be used in SSP, ESP, PROD, L-10, AND LIMITED and just change the PF for respective divisions, but with factory ammo the .40 could put you at a dissadvantage.

Why is a G35 with a 9mm barrel not allowed in IDPA stock or USPSA production not allowed when all you now have is a G34? That doesnt seem to make a lot of sense.

Just curious.

I don't know about IDPA, but in USPSA Production, the gun has to be as produced by the manufacturer. Changing the caliber from .40 to 9mm makes it illegal in prduction.

Here are the allowed mods.

Authorized modifications

(Strictly limited to these

items and their stated

guidelines)

•Internal throating and polishing to improve accuracy,

reliability and function

•Sights – trimmed, adjusted, replaced, colored, or

fiber-optic.

•Slide – refinishing. Milling of slide – only as

required to insert sights.

•After-market slides and barrels – provided they are

the same length, contour, and caliber as original factory

standard.

•Grips – Internal beveling. Checkering, stippling, and

addition of grip tape or grip sleeves. (see Appendix

E4)

•Exchange of minor components (springs, safeties,

slide stops, guide rods).

Hope that helps clear it up.

Why is a G35 with a 9mm barrel not allowed in IDPA stock or USPSA production not allowed when all you now have is a G34? That doesnt seem to make a lot of sense.

Just curious.

Regarding USPSA, the short answer is, (IMHO) an extremely poor decision.

The supposed reasoning was, conversion barrels are thicker (and thus, heavier) than stock G34 barrels, so this would provide an advantage and there was paranoia that there would be an arms race where folks would buy a G35, then spend extra money to buy a conversion barrel to have the hot set up.

However, the difference in weight between a stock G34 barrel and a conversion barrel is tiny...it's not like running a bull barrel instead of a bushing barrel in a 1911...certainly less than the 2 oz variance allowed under Production rules for the overall weight of the gun.

Ah so it is legal in IDPA with the 40 barrel in it.

HMMM ,decisions, decisions.

Out of the box, you can shoot either (34 or 35) in idpa ssp or esp or uspsa production. The different sports have different rules on changes that are allowed. Both rule books can be looked at on line. I don't know about barrell swaps.

Good luck. If you reload, the 35 could be used in SSP, ESP, PROD, L-10, AND LIMITED and just change the PF for respective divisions, but with factory ammo the .40 could put you at a dissadvantage.

Well, at this time I am not reloading but plan to in the future. Why would the factory .40 ammo put me at a disadvantage? Is it due ot power factor issues? Sorry for all the questions. this is all new to me.

Regarding USPSA, the short answer is, (IMHO) an extremely poor decision.

The supposed reasoning was, conversion barrels are thicker (and thus, heavier) than stock G34 barrels, so this would provide an advantage and there was paranoia that there would be an arms race where folks would buy a G35, then spend extra money to buy a conversion barrel to have the hot set up.

Ahh, ok. Well, whether it makes sense or not, at least its a thought out reason. I was just thinking a 35 with a 9mm barrel was essentially just a 34, if you refinished the slide no one would ever know the difference. I didnt really think about the difference in the barrel outer diameter was different and would make a difference.

Although, if the outer diameter of the barrel is the same on both, then there really isnt any difference at all as a stock G34 barrel would be the same as a barrel that fit the G35 slide.

Thanks for the explanation.