Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Automated Reloading Press Kit by P/W

GunWhoreDer

I just saw an ad in Shotgun News for a kit to automate Dillon RL1050 and RL1000 Presses.

It's made by Ponsness/Warren and retails for $850. Added to website on August 21, 2008.

So looks pretty new on the market. Anyone here get a chance to see or use one yet.

The kit weighs 40LBS. And has instant breaking, reverse, and slip clutch so it should work well.

AmmoLoad automated presses retail around $18,000. about the same price as the Camdex.

Now you can get a Dillon RL1050 $1,540 + KISS Bullet Feeder $550. + P/W Auto Drive $850.

Total is only $2,940 for a Fully Automated Dillon. OH Yes!!!!!

Just keep your fingers clear of the press and all should be just fine.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so who's going to be the first to post some video of one of these in action? honestly, I can almost see myself getting one. almost. I'd like to see the manufacturer put up some video of the machine encountering problems like Berdan primed cases, debris in a case, stuck primers etc. just so we can see the clutch slip, or whatnot.

Edited by slavex

I was told one of the commercial reloaders that have some in operation are going to make them a video.

I found out the name of one of these companies so I had to ask them for the scoop.

The reloader told me the system works very well, and they load preprimed brass.

He had no details on priming problems to report due to this.

I hope this takes off, and maybe gets offered by someone at a discount.

I would need six units, or maybe just buy one and switch between presses if setup is relatively quick.

weren't there hydraulic setups for the 1050 years ago? I heard stories about broken presses and squished fingers from in regards to something like that. but with a bullet feeder. woah boy, these things could rock!

When I think automated, I think eliminating human intervention. Paying $850 and still having to hit the switch every time seems like a waste of resources when the old school method works this fast.

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jm...urrent=1050.flv

Now, tap into the electronic failsafe devices to stop the motor when they are triggered.

Then connect a switch that is triggered with each stroke to a delay off timer that has to be “recharged” with each cycle so if a jam occurs it doesn’t just sit there and run against the clutch….I’ll be back.

Well, all I have to say is that if there is a way for me to reduce the stress on my elbow, Amen to me. Some of us who suffer with pain throughout the year look for easier less concusive ways of doing things.

If I wanted to get ammo done REALLY fast...........Well, I would just order it and wait for the guy in the little brown truck.

My purpose for being interested in this add on is to save my elbow. Doesn't really matter to me if it is faster or not........

oooh I'm looking forward to what JMorris comes up with!!!

Give me a little while, I'm finishing up my "automated smoker". I did contact Ponsness/Warren and the told me they have two versions one is 15 rpm (900 rounds an hour) and 20 rpm (1200 rounds an hour). I'll have to see what speed gearmotors I have but I think a 30rpm (1800Rph) would be a good choice.

Well, all I have to say is that if there is a way for me to reduce the stress on my elbow,

I understand, thats why I lube all of my cases, rifle and pistol before sizing.

I bet they went slow to begin with to ensure 800odd good ones, not just lots of ammo. Plus with some of these machines in the hands of those who do not have a bullet feeder having a manual switch will absolve PW of responsibility for squished anything.

I will definetly have to look at one of these. Automating the cycle will be easy. Just add a micro switch to the tool head and when it returns to full up it will trip a delay and fire the motor. All you will then need is, an emergency stop, an all stop button, lots of primer tubes (filled), a bigger powder hopper, bigger tumbler, more brass and an understanding wife.

I did contact Ponsness/Warren and the told me they have two versions one is 15 rpm (900 rounds an hour) and 20 rpm (1200 rounds an hour). I'll have to see what speed gearmotors I have but I think a 30rpm (1800Rph) would be a good choice.

First off I do not know much about motors.

You really need to be sure the type you use is an Instant Stop type for safety and other reasons.

They use an Instant Stop, and instant switch reversable motor.

By the way I have to give it to you, Your projects are INCREDIBLE.

Bravo on the awsome work.

Best of Luck, GunWhoreDer

Well, got my unit and installed it. I ran about 100 rounds to test it and I can't find any flaws. Works very well and slow enough that powder wont spill out of my 38 super comp case.

I will post a video of it in action tomorrow. So far, I think this is a major step in saving my arm for the year.

Ok, so here is the video for the autodrive.

http://mnmapsa.com/Video/reloadingpress.wmv

To sum it up. I am very impressed with this machine. I loaded 800 rounds this weekend and what impressed me the most was the consistency. It looks maybe slow to the eye but with no down time other than reloading components, I clocked it at just over 1000 per hour.

I would rank this with the Kiss bullet feeder, if you can afford it, then it is a must have.

I recommend this Autodrive. Easy to install and adjust and my arm will reep the benefits of not cranking the handle.

Hello: I was just wondering what you guys are doing to keep the primers topped up? I can see the bullet feeder and this unit to speed up reloading but the primers are going to be the thing that slows you down. Any ideas? Mounting the RF-100 above the 1050 primer tube? Let us know. Thanks, Eric

Interesting idea but probably not worth it. Who knows. You have bullets, powder and brass to think of then as well.

Like I mentioned before, I think the real benefit here is the consistency and the elimination of concusive motions on the arm.

I guess maybe I look at it like this, If I was so concerned about speed and mass production, I would probably own a much different press.

This setup works very well for and I can produce WAY more than I can possible shoot. Like the bullet feeder, I am sure this is not for everyone.

I posted the video for those who "think" they might be interested and for an opinion of an actual user.

This machine works, and works well. My goals were accomplished. :)