I just got the word to send my gun into EGW,

and I'm all excited about that - but remember

reading somewhere that you have to send it

UPS Overnight, and there might be other

restrictions. And, heavy insurance...

Can anybody point me in the right direction so

I don't run afoul of the law?

Jack

Put it in a box, declare it as a pistol, and insure it for what it's worth. Shouldn't run you more than $45-65 depending on insurance.

And take it to an actual UPS customer center, not an outlet store.

Edited by Matt Cheely

I inform the UPS shipper that it is a target pistol and pay them for "economy" overnight delivery and insure it accurately. That's it. Last time it cost 60-70 bucks IIRC.

Jim

UPS and FedEx have really gone up in the past year.

what was about $45 to $50 is now $65 to $70 for Next Day saver.

to use USPS it needs to go FFL to FFL

Not true. A very well known gunsmith shipped my single stack directly to me via USPS a few months back. He said he'd just started sending them that way and it's like half the cost of UPS/Fedex. I can't recall if it was registered or what, but it was overnight service. R,

Edit: After reading through the link Sethmark posted, I think I see how it was possible for that to happen. The next time I talk to him I'll ask for the particulars because it sounded like he was using USPS to ship to lots of folks that weren't FFL's....but I may have taken it out of context. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

I JUST looked into it and USPS still lists firearms as not acceptable from an individual, only FFL to FFL.

Edit:

Here's the USPS link. I've shipped an gun several times in the last few months and have been looking for a cheaper way that doesn't exist...

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#wp1065405

Edited by Sethmark

I JUST looked into it and USPS still lists firearms as not acceptable from an individual, only FFL to FFL.

Edit:

Here's the USPS link. I've shipped an gun several times in the last few months and have been looking for a cheaper way that doesn't exist...

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#wp1065405

Reading through the info on your link I think I see how it may have been within the rules for him to ship to me that way...I don't know if he's that smart or just got lucky! R,

I just paid $96 to ship my pistol from NY to a smith in PA. :surprise: I was told Next Day Saver service was not available in that area.

$53 for Next Day Air

$23 for $2k insurance

$18 fuel surcharge

$2.50 delivery surcharge

Thanks, everybody, from the last post about it costing $100 (I'm in

NY sending to PA also), I think I'll just drive the 100 miles down there

and say hello to George, and ask some questions.

Sounds like a pretty hairy experience shipping the guns, and

expensive as well.

Jack

Ya right- I just sent one :ph34r: to Sailors- insured for $1,000-overnight $53.20 and

the fuel charge of $18.35! Total $80.55- I thought I was paying for a one

way ticket for myself on the OOPS jet! :surprise: And forgot to tell you- it was

for a 10:30 AM drop off- the driver must have been in a hurry-no one answered the

door-they must have been to slow to open the door-he left-and msg stated see ya

tomorrow. Don't they make a second attempt of such a package? Go fedx I am not

saying its less money- but they have better service! :cheers:

Edited by Rolex

Not to go OT but do you have to declare it as a gun and do over night if it's just the frame?

Yep.

UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources...ch_phr=firearms

Edited by 03k64

Not to go OT but do you have to declare it as a gun and do over night if it's just the frame?

Yep.

UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources...ch_phr=firearms

Thanks- I'm in MA and the frame isn't considered the "firearm" until it's assembled... I had a lapse and forgot the fed definition.

Disclaimer: This is not legal advice.

USPS is a governmental entity, therefore, bound by federal laws. For LE only, however, there is an exception for shipping pistols to FFL or manufacturers. You just need to fill out a special exemption form they have, show your ID and mail it it a proper box. In fact, it doesn't even need to be overnighted and if you did, its only around $35. Again, this is for LE only.

In regards to Fed Ex and UPS, those regs regarding "Frames" being defined as a firearm are THEIR OWN regs and not some federal charging statute making it a crime. So lets say one "got caught" shipping "gun parts" in two boxes or had to file a claim on a loss. I suppose the worst thing they would/could do is flag your name and never take your money again.

A few months ago, UPS wanted $82 to mail my duty XD back to Springfield. As you can imagine, this was vulgar to me but I was in uniform. I decided against it and checked with USPS. I kept the tag UPS gave me and I plan to speak to my senator about this as I feel it directly impacts interstate commerce, which UPS and Fed Ex have been given a license to conduct in my state.

I've shipped quite a few firearms now and have found this to be true (not saying it's universal so take it for what it's worth).

1. I always use Fedex now. I've had way more issues with UPS customer counter people not knowing regs/rules then Fedex. I've heard shipping as a business eliminates this issue but it's just not an option for me. Also when you find a customer center that is close and doesn't freak when you say you are shipping a firearm that's reason enough to stick with them (Fedex or UPS).

2. Complete firearms To or From individuals go UPS/Fedex period. They both request Next Day for Pistols but don't specify morning/afternoon/etc.. so take the cheapest Next Day. Long guns can go Ground service still so that's nice.

3. The BATF considers a receiver a firearm but Fedex does not. Only complete pistols must ship next day. If it's incomplete (not just disassembled) it's just parts. Check the Fedex rules, they never mention the receiver or registered part only complete Pistols (unlike UPS). If I'm shipping more then one gun I'll split them up (frames and slides) into two shipments and send them ground. Typically saves about 30%. I asked the first two times I did this and got the OK from Fedex both times. Now I just declare them as "Firearm Parts" or "Machine Parts". Personally I think Machine parts is a better description :)

4. Insure the gun for what it's replacement cost is. Don't low ball yourself on insurance. If they do loose it they'll usually give you less but NEVER give you more. Also they tend to not loose $5,000 packages as much as $100 ones.. Go figure.

5. Be honest if shipping a complete pistol. I always have and it saved my ass once now. I had a pistol lost at the shipper (never left) and called their customer support. Once you mention it's a firearm they don't screw around. I had hourly updates via phone as well as an apologetic call from the Manager of the site as soon as they walked in the office that morning. If it's a gun they WILL find it!

Edited by JoshF

I've had good luck with our UPS counter people here..they know their rules and regs.

Handguns overnight saver, long guns ground, ammo marked ORM-D....easy stuff.

from here in the middle of the country..shipping an average priced gun ($500-$700) to either coast and in between..has been about $65 insured.

FWIW, I recently sent a handgun cross country via UPS (insured, next day air saver, adult signature required) and it cost me about 90$ (can you say rip-off). I put a copy of the FFL and a return address label in the package just in case.

When I took it to the customer service center, I informed the clerk it was a handgun even though I never did see anything in print that said I had to. He thanked me and put the package into the big pile with all the other packages. Now, please tell me why I spent all that money and went to all that trouble so that the package could be treated just like any other package.

Answer, as with most things, it's their game and their rules. You can probably get away with sending a gun ground but if it does get lost or damaged, you are likely going to be screwed since they can now claim that you didn't follow the rules.

And, as always, the people who follow the rules pay double for doing the right thing over those who ignore the rules.

So lets say one "got caught" shipping "gun parts" in two boxes or had to file a claim on a loss. I suppose the worst thing they would/could do is flag your name and never take your money again.

I think the worse thing they can do is deny your insurance claim altogether because you didn't follow their Terms and Conditions. Might be worth the risk if you're saving $20-50 on a ~$500 gun but maybe not for a $2-$4K gun.