Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MY 625 A Hunting Gun ?

MichiganShootist

There is good news here:

-did you know that your 625 is also chambered for .45 Super? Every 625 ever made is suitable to

handle the .45 Super. The Super is a brand new caliber that most folks do not know about; its only been around since '88.

Would you guys doubting the 625 for deer change your mind if it launched a 230-grain bullet at 1,100 ft/s.??? (and that is only with mediocre powbers; I bet Vihta Vouri powder could come up with some amazing loads for this one!)

Just a quick search turned this info up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Super

http://www.realguns.com/loads/45Super.htm

I think it's a valid point, .45 ACP is one of the more notoriously non-penetrating rounds going, and since we're talking about competition, I think everyone has 230gr @750 fps in their heads. A good bullet at 900+ fps should certainly do the trick. But I think the sticking point is this:

In hunting, the "trick" is killing the animal nearly instantaneously with a good shot.

In self-defense, the "trick" is to stop a threat, and screw their feelings.

In competition, the "trick" is to make the Major powerfloor while being able to shoot as quickly as possible.

All three are completely different, IMHO. In hunting you can fail to cleanly kill an animal by not bringing enough gun, making a bad shot (be it by judgement or ability), or by bad luck. Since you can't control bad luck, why not make sure you have the other two covered?

That being said, I'm considering going hunting with my 610 and some factory 10mm ammo. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with any type of .45acp.

H.

+1 for 45 Super . I have 230 XTP running 1050 fps in mine ;)

I would not hesitate to use my .45 revolver for hunting deer. I know my limitations and have no problem with that.

I normally use a 657 (.41 mag) instead though (I really like it, and it has a nice scope that with a good rest the thing will group 6 inch or less at 100 yds)

Hop

I wonder how much venison has been harvested over the

last 200yrs by round ball muzzle loaders from .32 cal to

.64. Seems like the 625 would be up to the task. He did

say he was hunting venison.seen many a black bear run

off 100 to 200 yrds after being shot by a bow hunter on

some outdoor tv progam with a couple thousand $$'s of

equipt strapped up to a tree over bait.shooting a deer for

venison up close with a good 625 load seems pretty damn

humane to me.

I would not hesitate to use my .45 revolver for hunting deer. I know my limitations and have no problem with that.

Hop

I agree. I've purchased at least 2 .44 Mag's with the intent to deer hunt with them but never handgun hunted because it's hard to leave a perfectly good .308 at home. Having said that, on a hunting trip several years back, I was sitting in a chair on the ground & ended up shooting a 6-point at <7 yards (no bait - hunting a trail in thick woods) with a 7mm Rem Mag (slight overkill). A 625 would have been just fine for that.

You just have to know your limitations. When it comes to ethics (not to mention safety), some people don't need to go in the woods, no matter what gun they're carrying, but no need to start those stories.

Edited by chemepharmd

I do not see a problem with the .45acp at VERY close range on a deer ---- as been said , a 245/260 grain hard cast SWC knocks the Hell out of bowling pins , almost as much as a .44mag. ---- will do the same thing to almost any deer.

So, I'm intrigued by this .45 Super thing. I assume it uses a different case? What's the difference between .45 Super and a hot .45ACP? Anybody got any load data?

Don't get too intrigued, there, Skippy. I don't want you blowing up my gun before I have a chance to buy it back.

• 2 months later...

I have taken a deer with a .45 ACP. 230gr Gold Dot factory load. 35yds broad side double lung shot. At the shot she didn’t react I thought I missed then she ran 40yds and fell over dead. A .45 cal hole in and a .45 cal hole out. I had a similar thing happen with a .44 Mag with 240gr XTP handloads. I switched to .44 Mag 180gr XTPs and it opens up on deer .44 cal hole in and big hole out. It puts them down. Keep the ranges short and shot placement is the key.

Good Luck,

Walt

I have taken a deer with a .45 ACP. 230gr Gold Dot factory load. 35yds broad side double lung shot. At the shot she didn’t react I thought I missed then she ran 40yds and fell over dead. A .45 cal hole in and a .45 cal hole out. I had a similar thing happen with a .44 Mag with 240gr XTP handloads. I switched to .44 Mag 180gr XTPs and it opens up on deer .44 cal hole in and big hole out. It puts them down. Keep the ranges short and shot placement is the key.

Good Luck,

Walt

I was thinking along similair lines. Why not a 185 grain HP? Flatter shooting, etc... I know it's no .44 mag though many favor the lighter .45 boolits for self defense.

I've taken numerous whitetails and feral hogs with Federal Hydrashoks 230gr, from a Commander, STI Eagle, and HK usp. good penetration, and good expansion. On deer its generally a 3/4 to 1" hole on the exit, with hogs it depends on how big and the angle it was shot. All were shot inside 50yds, and all fell within 50yds, all left a good blood trail.

provided you do your job, the caliber and bullet will do its job. I can highly recommend the Hydra shok 230gr.

trapr

I know this years opening day morning, I was sitting in some heavy dark pines, holding my Freedom Arms 83 (and wondering where the sights were), all I kept thinking was "man I wish I had my 625 and that SDM front sight." ^_^

Edited by cas

OP did you get one or not?

I'm new to this forum, but not new to hunting deer with a handgun. Over the past years I've killed 40 deer with revolvers in .357 mag., .44 mag, 45 Colt, and the 45 acp 625. So I think I know a little about it.

First off, the 45 acp doesn't always work properly with jacketed hollow points due to lack of velocity. So I would recommend cast bullets of the flat point variety or a good semi-wadcutter. Something in the 250 to 260 grain weight range. At 1000 f/s muzzle velocity they will always penetrate completely, and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a .44 mag and a 45 acp out to about 75 yards.

For what it's worth, the load I use is one of the above mentioned bullets ahead of 13 to 13.5 grains of Alliant 2400 and a Federal primer. Work up to this load carefully, but any 625 in good condition should handle it. Don't recommend this load in a semi-auto though....