Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloading .40 cases fired in Glock22

waynewal

Have about 500+ .40 S&W cases fired from G22. Someone said there might be problems reloading these cases. In the once over I have given some of them, can't see anything different from the ones i have fired from a USP .40.

Any input?

Thanks!

Wayne

You should stop right now! DO NOT reload brass fired through a Glock!

send it to me for immediate disposal. :D

Seriously, I've reloaded 1000's of Glock fired brass. I use a Lee sizer die and have had no problems whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

But as an FYI, what those folks are warning you about is the "glock bulge" formed near the bottom of the casing that is created from shooting from an unsupported Glock barrel. It's only a big deal to folks that "don't" reload. Most everyone I know that runs a Glock 40 they reload for do not have problems. It's notable, but not a deal breaker.

Edited by Aristotle

I never used a UDie, not that it would hurt. All I use is a Lee Factory Crimp Die and I've never had much issues reloading and shooting brass from my Glock 35.

Same here. I use the Lee FCD and everything is fine.

But as an FYI, what those folks are warning you about is the "glock bulge" formed near the bottom of the casing that is created from shooting from an unsupported Glock barrel. It's only a big deal to folks that "don't" reload. Most everyone I know that runs a Glock 40 they reload for do not have problems. It's notable, but not a deal breaker.

If you're reloading Glock-fired brass and then shooting it in a Glock it makes no difference, but it makes a big difference in something with a tight chamber.

The idea that Glock barrels are unsupported is 100% false. They're supported roughly as much as any other ramped barrel out there, but the chamber mouth is slightly larger, which allows the case to expand a small amount more. It will still prevent a case failure/rupture just like any other supported barrel, which is all that the supported area does aside from smoother feeding.

The Lee FCD is considered by many expert reloaders to be a BAD idea. It squeezes the entire case, which can actually reduce bullet pull (neck tension) since it squeezes below the bullet and that can lead to bullet setback, less consistent velocity, etc, etc, etc. It does a decent job of hiding problems, but it really doesn't fix them.

For cases that have been fired in larger chambers a U-die combined with a good seating die (nothing tops the Redding Comp Seating die) and good taper crimp die is the only real way to get rid of the problem and not hide it. I've added a shell holders cut down to get the very last little bit of the case above the extractor groove, but that's going above and beyond. R,

Thanks! I just got the egw dies. they are Lee dies. I will try to run 100 or so brass thru the Dillon dies and then run them thru the SAMMI size checker.

Got the .38 super as well and will run all the 'non' sAMMI brass thru the Lee die and see if they are 'fixed'.

Thanks very much to all!

Wayne

If you're reloading Glock-fired brass and then shooting it in a Glock it makes no difference, but it makes a big difference in something with a tight chamber.

The idea that Glock barrels are unsupported is 100% false. They're supported roughly as much as any other ramped barrel out there, but the chamber mouth is slightly larger, which allows the case to expand a small amount more. It will still prevent a case failure/rupture just like any other supported barrel, which is all that the supported area does aside from smoother feeding.

The Lee FCD is considered by many expert reloaders to be a BAD idea. It squeezes the entire case, which can actually reduce bullet pull (neck tension) since it squeezes below the bullet and that can lead to bullet setback, less consistent velocity, etc, etc, etc. It does a decent job of hiding problems, but it really doesn't fix them.

For cases that have been fired in larger chambers a U-die combined with a good seating die (nothing tops the Redding Comp Seating die) and good taper crimp die is the only real way to get rid of the problem and not hide it. I've added a shell holders cut down to get the very last little bit of the case above the extractor groove, but that's going above and beyond. R,

Thanks! I have 2 sets of bras about 1/2 fired from a Glock 22 and 1/2 from a HK Compact. Will run them thru the Dillon sizer and see how they turn out.

If needed will try the Lee die after for any not SAMMI sizing...

Thanks!

Wayne

I'm presently in the process of running somewhere between 6000/8000 pieces of .40 range pickups through the EGW U-Die before putting them in my rotation. I'm checking the sized cases as I go and so far, every single one case gauged perfectly. Most of the cases have no noticable bulge but a respectable number do...after sizing, there is no apparent difference.

And in the FWIW department, G-ManBart is exactly right. At some point Glock has significantly (and quietly) beefed up their chamber support on the .40's. I just picked up a new G-35 (dealer said he'd only just gotten it) and the chamber support at the 6 o'clock position is not only good, its about as good as I've seen. To my eyes, support extends all the way to the bottom of the extraction groove.

Edited by D. Manley

Bart--we had a commerical reloader strongly suggest to me that using the FCD was wrong. He had all kinds of documentation about the crimp that was generated by noted rifle shooters, basically saying that crimping has an adverse effect on accuracy.

He used the FCD on my stuff. Tested it in his guns. He admitted he was wrong about using the FCD in a .40 S&W, espeically in my gun with a very tight and accurate Nowlin barrel.

Additionally, many of our club shooters went to a FCD to alleviate their reliability issues.

In my 1050 my first station is a normal Dillon die followed by the EGW Undersize die and my last station is the FCD. My only reliability issues for my reloads center around brass that has been reloaded too many times. This is my fault for not marking, keeping my brass and using others' range brass. As you may be aware we have a couple of guys that seem to reload their brass until it cracks. Brass that has been reloaded too many times and has weakened, expands too much for my tight chamber. So I get a jam-o-matic.

Bart--we had a commerical reloader strongly suggest to me that using the FCD was wrong. He had all kinds of documentation about the crimp that was generated by noted rifle shooters, basically saying that crimping has an adverse effect on accuracy.

He used the FCD on my stuff. Tested it in his guns. He admitted he was wrong about using the FCD in a .40 S&W, espeically in my gun with a very tight and accurate Nowlin barrel.

Additionally, many of our club shooters went to a FCD to alleviate their reliability issues.

In my 1050 my first station is a normal Dillon die followed by the EGW Undersize die and my last station is the FCD. My only reliability issues for my reloads center around brass that has been reloaded too many times. This is my fault for not marking, keeping my brass and using others' range brass. As you may be aware we have a couple of guys that seem to reload their brass until it cracks. Brass that has been reloaded too many times and has weakened, expands too much for my tight chamber. So I get a jam-o-matic.

Hey Paul,

I suspect that the U-die/FCD combo wouldn't cause the same problems as a standard resizing die and a FCD because the U-die reduces the size of the case enough that you're not going to be short of bullet pull/neck tension. With worn cases and a standard resize die using the FCD can cause a loss of neck tension leading to bullet setback and other ugly stuff. It certainly won't happen all the time, but it can happen.

I can say that using a U-die I've gone tens of thousands of rounds of .40 and don't recall any failures to feed of any kind. I get once-fired brass at work, mark it and only pick up my own, so I know how old the cases are which helps a lot in the regard, I'm sure. After they've been reloaded a couple of times I switch them to my practice bin and when I get the first couple of split cases or when I start having too many cases on hand I'll toss the whole batch.

LOL....yeah, I know a few of the folks that run their cases until they split! This quarter I'm going to try and pick up a whole bunch of once-fired .40 after quals and share the wealth rather than let it go in a dumpster....don't even get my started on why most agencies don't sell it or recycle it (it would require competitive bids and a contract to follow the rules...ugh).

FWIW, the FCD is made to bring ammo to minimum SAAMI spec to ensure that the ammo will chamber in a standard chamber. For my .40 ammo, it rarely touches the case, and that includes once-fired brass from Glocks. If you have a decent standard carbide sizing die and shoot the ammo in a factory barrel, it's unlikely that either the U die or the FCD are needed. Most of the folks having problems seem to have 1) a match barrel and/or 2) a Dillon sizer die. The match barrels are tighter than standard specs, and the Dillon sizers have a big funnel that doesn't size the brass far enough down on the case.

The standard Lee sizer I use works fine. The Steyr M40 I used to have jammed on Rem-UMC factory ammo, but ran the handloads I made up with that same brass flawlessly. The M&P .40 that replaced it has yet to jam in about 3k rounds, of which 90% were my handloads.

The FCD can cause problems when used with lead bullets and thick brass. That's the only situation where you'll find the FCD sizing the bullet down inside the case; i.e., .452 bullets in Winchester or CBC brass, or .358 bullets in the same brass in .38/.357. I've gone to a taper crimp die in .45 ACP and a Dillon crimp die in .38/.357 for that reason.

As for the OP - he could've probably used his original setup and ran the Glock once-fired brass in his H&K with no problems. :)

• 2 months later...

I may be the only one this applies to, or the luckiest man alive, but I don't give glock brass any special treatment. I played around with a press through die a few years ago, but couldnt find any quantifiable results. I have used the dillon dies on a Redding T7, my 550 and now my 1050 and as long as I had the height properly adjusted it was as if I had brand new brass. All my loads were hand cast .175 TC fired through glock factory, KKM and Storm Lake barrels. Also my CZ TS and STI bull barrel all handled them just fine. The only barrel I ever had problems with was a .400 Nowlin barrel, and it was too tight for some factory. Hope this helps. PM me if you would like to know how I hade me 5$ pass through sizer die.

Lee

PM me if you would like to know how I hade me 5$ pass through sizer die.

Lee

I'd like to know. How about starting a new thread and sharing it with us all ??? :)

I'm guessing that you can remove the crip thingy from a LFCD and figure out a way to push the case through. Some sort of anvil that would fit in the shellplate on your press should do it.

Just a guess,

Chuck

Have about 500+ .40 S&W cases fired from G22. Someone said there might be problems reloading these cases. In the once over I have given some of them, can't see anything different from the ones i have fired from a USP .40.

Any input?

Thanks!

Wayne

That's pretty much all I use. I have used the reloads in about 12 different pistols and I have had ZERO problems with them.

I have a Dillon 550 set up with Dillon dies. Nothing special.

I thought I was doing OK w/ my .40 reloads, but now I have some brass that appear to be oversized. Or, it could be my bullets are the culprit. I just started using Precision Delta 180 RNFP's about a week ago, and since then have run into a bunch of brass where the 180's fit loosely. So loose that I can seat the bullet by hand, then pull it out by hand.

Two nights ago I sorted through all my .40 brass, and separated out all the oversized brass that had already been tumbled and resized. Out of a coffee can size nut jar (that's what I use to store my brass) I only came up with about 70 that were oversized. In an attempt to resize them I even ran them through a LFCD, and they are still too large. The pedigree of the brass is mixed range brass that I've had for a while, and no obvious signs of over-pressure.

Anybody run into this? I don't believe this is the infamous "Glock-bulge" since my problem is more at the case mouth. Mic-ing them, I can barely discern any difference, and the only way I can identify the 'oversized' brass is a test fit w/ one of the Precision Delta bullets. Oddly enough, the oversized brass work fine with plated bullets from Berry or Frontier (which is probably why I didn't notice this before since I just switched to PD).

Anybody run into this? I mic'd the PD bullets, and they are within spec. But they are smoother (ie slicker) than the Berry's or Frontiers.

Am I in need of an EGW U-die? Or are those pieces of brass destined for the scrap bin?

Thx

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the U-Die in 40 S&W on my 1050. I crushed more cases and at the same time broke 8 decapping pins - yes, Lee pins do break, in spite of what Lee claims.

I now roll size my brass with a CasePro100.

I'm not saying that the U-Die is bad, just a bad idea on a progressive like the 1050. My die did work as advertised, when it wasn't crushing cases or breaking pins.

I tried the U-Die in 40 S&W on my 1050. I crushed more cases and at the same time broke 8 decapping pins - yes, Lee pins do break, in spite of what Lee claims.

I now roll size my brass with a CasePro100.

I'm not saying that the U-Die is bad, just a bad idea on a progressive like the 1050. My die did work as advertised, when it wasn't crushing cases or breaking pins.

Easy fix for that is to run a standard resizing die in station 1 and the U-die in station 2...seems to prevent that problem for most folks. R,

Don't lose to much sleep over shooting Glocked brass.

For the past 13 years all I've ever used has been Glock once fired range pick-ups, and standard Dillon factory dies. I set the dies up according to the Dillon manual, I do nothing special at all. I ran 22K through a Brazos, I'd pitch maybe 1 or 2% into the practice ammo bin, but even then, most of the rejects ran fine. I have cases I know for a fact I've shot 6x, they are relegated to practice only, but they still work.

Another 15-20K through G22's & Para's; and several thousand through a used G35, w/the same results.

Edited by Big Shooter