Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Moonclips

D.Hayden

Any suggestions on bulk cleaning moonclips?

I'd like to throw 30 or so into some solvent.. have them nice and clean again.

Any tricks?

Thanks, Dave

I put mine in the vibrator with the brass (disassembled of course). After a few trips most folks comment on my shiney "stainless steel" moonclips.

my moonclips go into the tumbler along with the brass.

I do have to sort out the moonclips from the brass when I dump the brass/clips/tumbling media into my Dillon case/media separator. Not a big deal, it adds about a minute to the process.

If I don't, the moonclips get stuck in the slots of the separator, or get lost in the tub with the used media.

The moon clips do get nice and shiny with the brass polish. :D

zip tie together and put them in the dishwasher

:surprise:

The gunk you get off moon clips contain a number of compounds you wouldn't normally want in your diet. How do you get the lead, mercury, and nitrocellulose ash (and other stuff) out of the dishwasher mechanisms before you put the family dishes back in?

Mine don't wipe clean.. maybe it's the TG I'm using now (Until I switch to Clays)

Larry.. That's part of what i was wondering.. it doesn't interfere..it just sot of 'bugs' me..

Since I switched to Trail Boss all I get is this sort of sooty residue that mostly comes off on my fingers. Even when they are really nasty they seem to work just fine. Dillon sells this green stuff that I think is called Killz which is advertised as a carbon killer. When I do clean my clips I load them all up on a piece of wire, dip them in the Killz jar and pull them out 15 minutes later. Then they just wipe down.

-ld

• 2 weeks later...

I have a tupperware container that is filled with a mixture of 50% Kroil penetrating oil and 50% Hoppes #9. I pitch in the moon clips and leave them over night (often with my cylinder or a whole disassembled 1911---minus the grips)

They are then a breeze to blast with some form of spray cleaner like Gun Scrubber or carb cleaner.

If I only have a few to mess with.. I put them in a sandwich bag and spray them with WD-40.. and let them soak while I'm cleaning my pistol.. then just wipe with a paper towel or rag and they are like new.

Edited by MichiganShootist