Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para-ordnance Lda

mpolans

Why would anyone want one? Seems like you've got most of the disadvantages of a double-action only gun (long trigger pull, more moving parts, etc.) with none of the advantages (heavy trigger pull for "safety", uncompressed mainspring (in theory, safer), increased reliability (when compared to double action revolver, not auto).

Why does the LDA exist? Para Ordnance isn't planning making ALL their guns like this in the future, are they?

The LDA is one of the most versatile handguns available, it can be used in all USPSA Divisions other than revolver and can be used in SSP in IDPA - if somebody wants to buy just one handgun and compete across a whole bunch of divisions the LDA is the one!

They are a very slick trigger pull for double action. The only draw back is the fact that if there is a misfire the slide must be racked to reset the trigger. Unlike other DA autos or revolvers that just require you to pull the trigger again. This is a little thing but a draw back to me. My $.02 TXAG

I'm sure people are going to say they bought one and gush lovingly over it, but if you're competing in IPSC or IDPA, why buy an LDA rather than a regular Para-Ordnance?

I mean isn't saying it has a "very slick trigger pull for double action" is sorta like telling someone they don't sweat much despite being fat?

What can the LDA do, that can't be better done by either a single action or double action?

Or better yet, in what areas does the compromise between SA and DA that the LDA is supposed be serve a purpose?

I don't care about or have an opinion on the LDA. I'm not even sure why I was reading this post. But the comment about not sweating had me sitting here by myself laughing out loud.

Thanks for an amusing start to my day. I'm going to steal that quote, hope you don't mind.

Smitty

MP,

the LDA can be used in IPSC/USPSA Prod Division. No other Para can. It also has the highest magazine capacity of any Prod Div gun allowed under IPSC rules (19/20). Yes, if you did not "have to" use a DA trigger action, you would indeed not choose the LDA over its SA cousins...

--Detlef

I'm guessing the main reason the LDA was designed was for law enforcement. Many departments won't allow officers to carry single action guns for perceived liability issues. The LDA looks less "scary". Even though it is not really a double action it appears to be one. Officers who are married to the idea of carrying a 1911 can now get LDA's on their approved list usually.

JK

From what I can tell, the LDA won't fire a loaded round if the hammer's down and the mainspring energy suddenly gets released (due to part breakage, abuse, whatever)-- The hammer needs to swing to slap the firing pin hard enough. Sorta like a Glock where the striker spring is partially compressed, but with not enough energy in it to fire a primer. Some people think that's a safety advantage.

While the trigger pull is lighter than a typical DA, it is a meaningful "pull" as opposed to just a tap or flinch on a SA trigger. Some people think that's safer too.

Detlef and JasonK: You bring up some interesting points.

Shred: I might be wrong, but I don't think so...it appears to me the mainspring is fully compressed. There's no other action occurring during the pulling of the trigger to further compress the mainspring (hence the light LDA trigger pull).

Yeah, the Lda may sweat less than any fat gal you ever knew but is was developed and pointed directly at USPSA production class (double action only firstshot) It also fits well into idpa and le agences that are limited to double action pistols, I don't have or want one but they do fill this nich in the market and its the only 1911 type that can. Larry

"why would anyone want one?", why do I have 40+ guns when I can only shoot one at a time, why do some people have 5 open guns (I only have 3), why do some people collect stamps, the question is why not? Its just like my other Para's (except for the trigger), holds 18+ rounds, it's a better gun for production than a Glock if you shoot 1911's for the other games you play, I can afford one, I have 10 hi-cap mags for Para's in 9mm/38 Super which together are worth more than the gun, and I got a $50 mail in rebate for one!

What can the LDA do, that can't be better done by either a single action or double action?

Or better yet, in what areas does the compromise between SA and DA that the LDA is supposed be serve a purpose?

It allows you to carry a 1911 ready to fire with the hammer down. Many police departments do not allow carrying guns cocked. As for the LDA trigger action: it is very easy to shoot straight. Period. My theory is that the long (very light) take up gives you trigger inertia which makes the trigger break cleanly without extra effort from the hand or trigger finger which moves the gun off line. What I know for a fact is my wife was shooting 2" groups at 15 yards with mt Para 1640 LDA the first time she shot it.

Para's make good competition guns. I shoot and/or have owned three of them including an LDA .40 and i can say this: anyone who carries a stock Para as a self defense gun needs to have their head examined. Obnoxious statement? Not in this case, Para's are that bad. The magazines are even worse.

This threads had enough.