Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

which lb spring to use

Lead slinger

I use a 13lb variable recoil spring. I like the way the gun reacts with this spring. I shoot a STI Eagle 5" also the factory spring is 14lbs. You need to test different springs and pick which one works best for you. You will find 12lb - 14lb springs are the norm for the 40 some may go a little lower.

The number 1 thing is reliability the gun must function 100% with what ever spring you choose.

BK

Edited by bkeeler

I use a 13lb variable recoil spring. I like the way the gun reacts with this spring. I shoot a STI Eagle 5" also the factory spring is 14lbs. You need to test different springs and pick which one works best for you. You will find 12lb - 14lb springs are the norm for the 40 some may go a little lower.

The number 1 thing is reliability the gun must function 100% with what ever spring you choose.

BK

Thanks BK

I shoot a .40 Eagle with a bull barrel. I've been using Sprinco 12lb springs for a long time. I really have a firm grip on the gun...if I held it a little lighter, I would use an 11lb spring. I use a Haarts guiderod with no recoil buffer. I have used a heavy Recoil Master with a 10lb progressive spring and it works nice.

EG

I picked up an old trick from a fellow club member and it's been really close on everything I've tried. Load a dummy round in a magazine, lock the slide back, insert the mag and take a normal grip on the gun. Get a nice sight picture on something and release the slide with your support hand while watching the sight picture. If the front sight dips down a bunch you want a lighter spring. If the spring is pretty close the front sight won't move hardly at all. I tried it and found that I've picked 12.5lb ISMI springs for both Limited and SS guns and when I do the test he suggested, the front sight stays put. I'd tried a 14lb spring and it was just too much and the front sight was diving pretty hard.

Keep in mind this will only get you in the ballpark, and if you really want to get involved you can do timing drills with different springs that are 1lb apart until you find the exact one you like, but I've found that if it's close and you shoot the gun a little bit you'll adapt to it without even trying. R,

I run 10's and 11's in my 40's with bull barrels, 12 with a bushing barrel. If an 8 had enough power to strip off a 22 round mag when the gun was cold and dirty I would be running 8's, but it is too close to the hairy edge for comfort. 10 or 11 runs no matter what in my guns.

I picked up an old trick from a fellow club member and it's been really close on everything I've tried. Load a dummy round in a magazine, lock the slide back, insert the mag and take a normal grip on the gun. Get a nice sight picture on something and release the slide with your support hand while watching the sight picture. If the front sight dips down a bunch you want a lighter spring. If the spring is pretty close the front sight won't move hardly at all. I tried it and found that I've picked 12.5lb ISMI springs for both Limited and SS guns and when I do the test he suggested, the front sight stays put. I'd tried a 14lb spring and it was just too much and the front sight was diving pretty hard.

Keep in mind this will only get you in the ballpark, and if you really want to get involved you can do timing drills with different springs that are 1lb apart until you find the exact one you like, but I've found that if it's close and you shoot the gun a little bit you'll adapt to it without even trying. R,

That is an interesting idea Chris. I will have to remember to try that out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I am shooting a STI eagle 5.0 .40 cal. My rounds are 185gr precision bullets with 4.3g of TG. Wanting to hear what lb spring you guys use and why. I find that what I currently use is a little slappy. Any advise would be appreciated.

i use 10# spring gun tracks flatter for me.

Sorry to post on an old thread, but I had another related question......Will the lighter springs cause more wear on your pistol? If so, I guess that is the cost of doing business.

BTW, I'm shooting an Edge based 40 also. For the last 1500 rounds it had a 13 pound spring (tungsten FLGR , bull barrel) and it shot fine. I replaced it today with a 14 pound that I had on hand.

I'd be glad to go lighter (11-12 pound) but I don't want to damage my pistol.

Sorry to post on an old thread, but I had another related question......Will the lighter springs cause more wear on your pistol? If so, I guess that is the cost of doing business.

BTW, I'm shooting an Edge based 40 also. For the last 1500 rounds it had a 13 pound spring (tungsten FLGR , bull barrel) and it shot fine. I replaced it today with a 14 pound that I had on hand.

I'd be glad to go lighter (11-12 pound) but I don't want to damage my pistol.

I posted earlier that I use a 12lb spring in my Eagle with no buff. I have over 175,000rds through it and it still seems to be OK. In my setup, I think anything lighter than 11lbs will beat the gun up a bit too much. If you can stand the way they feel, using a shock buff should help prolong the life of your gun.

How does the weight of the main spring come into play with the recoil spring weight? This is also assuming no light strikes are not an issue. So how would a 12.5 ISMI recoil w/ 17# main compare to 12.5# w/ 19# main? Will that have any affect on the recoil dive and what if any affect on slide movement and lock up?\

Reason i'm asking is my son's Edge we put in 12.5 ISMI recoil spring to get rid of the recoil master. Gun feels great but it had some malfunctions. I can't remember what at the moment it has been a while. I know he liked the way it shot better and i would like to get it figured out for him.

My Edge runs a heavier recoil spring in it, my guess 14#. I bought mine Edge used with the spring already int it. I do remember shooting his with the light spring and it seem to shoot nicer and better dbl taps than mine. Gut feel no timer work.

Edited by dstroyed

How does the weight of the main spring come into play with the recoil spring weight? This is also assuming no light strikes are not an issue. So how would a 12.5 ISMI recoil w/ 17# main compare to 12.5# w/ 19# main? Will that have any affect on the recoil dive and what if any affect on slide movement and lock up?\

Reason i'm asking is my son's Edge we put in 12.5 ISMI recoil spring to get rid of the recoil master. Gun feels great but it had some malfunctions. I can't remember what at the moment it has been a while. I know he liked the way it shot better and i would like to get it figured out for him.

My Edge runs a heavier recoil spring in it, my guess 14#. I bought mine Edge used with the spring already int it. I do remember shooting his with the light spring and it seem to shoot nicer and better dbl taps than mine. Gut feel no timer work.

First you need to find the right combination of springs that work for you and that the gun will function 100% of the time.

Let me try to explain what I think happens.

Take a gun with an 18lb recoil spring in it. Grip the gun like you are shooting it(Make sure gun is unloaded).have someone rack the slide as you are griping the gun notice what you feel in your wrist as the slide is being pulled back with the 18lb spring your wrist is going to be harder to keep the gun straight(it is going to take more force for you to keep your wrist straight as the slide is being pulled back.) Now put in a lighter spring 12-14lb and do the same test and notice the difference in the feeling in your wrist. Not only is it going to make a difference coming to the rear but also coming forward with a lighter spring the gun is not going to dip like it would with a heavier spring when the slide closes.

This is all a matter of feel and each shooter is different in what they like. You have to test this for yourself but the gun needs to run 100%.

Also when you change springs your timing of the gun changes. So you need to do timing drills after you change the recoil spring. You need to get a timer and see if changing the springs makes any difference in your time and points. If it doesn't then it is just about how the gun feels when you shoot.

Hope all that makes sense.

:cheers:

BK

• 2 weeks later...
I am shooting a STI eagle 5.0 .40 cal. My rounds are 185gr precision bullets with 4.3g of TG. Wanting to hear what lb spring you guys use and why. I find that what I currently use is a little slappy. Any advise would be appreciated.

Good information. I guess the same rules apply to my 1911. Sounds like I need to go down.