Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mobil 1 oil

Steve S

For the last several years I have been using Break Free oil on all my guns in both summer and winter. I have been playing with Mobil 1 0W-20 weight fully synthetic oil on some pistols. Seems to work just fine at a fraction of the cost of Break Free. Has anyone tried this or other similiar motor oils?

I think if you did a search you might find there's a thread or two on mobil 1.

My warning would be to not use it with moly lube bullets. Mobil one is a detergent oil and will soften up the moly lube making a hell of a mess in your chamber should some oil from the hood actually make it in there. Just ask me how I know (and how I managed a 127 second stage at an area match because my drop checked ammo wouldn't chamber).

Edited by carinab

I have used Mobil one a bit a while back on my limited gun. All of the synthetic motor oils are excellent lubricants and I think you will find that they stay put much better than breakfree. Breakfree tends to run off the gun very quickly in hot weather and I was finding my gun dry in the middle of a match even though I had applied it liberally right before. I switched away from Mobil one because of the smell and because I found a few other lubricants that seemed to be even better. I am now using an oil called Friction Defense from Brownells that is by far the best gun lube that I have found.

I used to use Mobil 1 but it gets my nice shirts dirty, my glasses dirty, etc, so I use Slide Glide. Works awesome and no smegma (word of the day boys and girls) splattering around. Stays put under high heat better than anything else you can buy.

I used to use Mobil 1 but it gets my nice shirts dirty, my glasses dirty, etc, so I use Slide Glide. Works awesome and no smegma (word of the day boys and girls) splattering around. Stays put under high heat better than anything else you can buy.

You applied more oil than necessary.

FM

Edited by Front Man

You applied more oil than necessary.

FM

In the immortal words of Engineer Dave Marques who's always convinced he knows what he's talking about: "There's no such thing (as too much oil)" :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

My particular theory is that shotgun and rifles get oil --- because I'm actually willing to prep them prior to a match. Handguns get slide-glide a few times a year; a process that got much easier when Brian started tubing it in addition to the tubs....

A couple of years ago I saw the following recipe on another BBS:

1 qt mobil syn. 5w30

1 qt syn trans fluid

1 stp oil treatment

1 pint marvel mystery oil

1 oz of militec

The poster on that board had gotten the recipe from one of the Baretta armorers in Maryland where it's used as the standard lubricant for their guns. A friend and I thought it seemed like a decent mix of short- and long-term lubricants, with the majority of the volume from two synthetics. So we mixed up a batch and split it. I now use it for my general purpose gun lubricant and I've found it to be a very good product for a fraction of the price of the commerical lubes. It's very slippery, but doesn't run off. With my half of the recipe, I've got enough to last a lifetime.

a friend and I mixed up a batch