Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trojan .38 super for IDPA?

PistolPete

I'm an avid USPSA shooter and shot my first IDPA match today. It was fun and I didn't do as well as I would have liked but that's another story. Anyways, I shot an M&P which I like the gun but I totally prefer a 1911 100%. So, since shooting USPSA I got rid of all my single stack 1911's because I didn't have a use for one but now if I start shooting IDPA I will need one because none of my limited or open guns will work. That being said I'm thinking of staying with either .40, 9mm or .38 super. I'm leaning towards Super because I shoot super in open division for USPSA and my new open gun will be able to switch from minor to major so the minor ammo will work in the single stack gun.

Now I was thinking of picking up an STI Trojan in .38 super from Brazos (I get most of my guns from him) and having him tune the trigger (so it's similiar to my limited and open guns) and have him put his F.O. front site on it. Is this a good idea or is there a better gun to get? I live in Massachusetts so I'm limited to S&W 1911's, Paras, and I can get a STI by jumping thru some hoops. If I get this gun I will add a magwell and that's prob. it. Just curious what your thoughts on this gun are and are there 10 round .38 super mags around?

I know I should shoot what I have but I just want to keep the platforms similar and triggers etc. similar which is why I want another 1911.

Thanks,

Pete

:cheers:

Don't be too quick to buy 10-round, rather than 9-round mags. Most IDPA stages have only paper targets, engaged two-each, and starting with 9+1 can actually confer advantages compared to 10+1.

Don't be too quick to buy 10-round, rather than 9-round mags. Most IDPA stages have only paper targets, engaged two-each, and starting with 9+1 can actually confer advantages compared to 10+1.

Yeah, then you get the smart match directors who make 11 round stages, where you have to reload and everybody that is at 10+1 doesn't, if they don't miss. Been there done that, and not because I was gaming it, but because 9 round mags where all I could find that where reliable with my 9mm 1911 at the time.

Wilson's 10 round 38 super mags rock, Tripp's mags are suppose to be great as well. I'm going to try Tripp when I get my 9mm 1911 rebarreled.

I think any of those calibers would be just fine, all three can make for a soft shooting gun. The only reason to consider the .40 over the others is the option to shoot L10 is USPSA and still make major.

I'm an avid USPSA shooter and shot my first IDPA match today. It was fun and I didn't do as well as I would have liked but that's another story. Anyways, I shot an M&P which I like the gun but I totally prefer a 1911 100%. So, since shooting USPSA I got rid of all my single stack 1911's because I didn't have a use for one but now if I start shooting IDPA I will need one because none of my limited or open guns will work. That being said I'm thinking of staying with either .40, 9mm or .38 super. I'm leaning towards Super because I shoot super in open division for USPSA and my new open gun will be able to switch from minor to major so the minor ammo will work in the single stack gun.

Now I was thinking of picking up an STI Trojan in .38 super from Brazos (I get most of my guns from him) and having him tune the trigger (so it's similiar to my limited and open guns) and have him put his F.O. front site on it. Is this a good idea or is there a better gun to get? I live in Massachusetts so I'm limited to S&W 1911's, Paras, and I can get a STI by jumping thru some hoops. If I get this gun I will add a magwell and that's prob. it. Just curious what your thoughts on this gun are and are there 10 round .38 super mags around?

I know I should shoot what I have but I just want to keep the platforms similar and triggers etc. similar which is why I want another 1911.

Thanks,

Pete

:cheers:

Now what if you bought some 10 rounders and some 9 rounders? Couldn't you switch back and forth or is that gaming to the fullest? :roflol:

I'm not going to be super focused on IDPA because USPSA is my lifeline and I'm an open shooter so that is where 99% of my focus is but the other 1% can be for IDPA where I can just shoot to have fun instead of putting a ton of pressure on myself to do well.

I just know to keep things consistent I need a 1911.

Pete

The Trojan is a fine choice. A .38 Super will compete in Enhanced Service Pistol (ESP) which I think was originally set up to provide a home for IPSC-obsolete .38 single stack iron sight guns. But you see a lot of tweaked plastic there too, these days.

Magazines:

Wilson and Tripp make 10-round Super magazines.

You may not mix magazine capacities to schedule reloads, you have to use the same all the way through the match.

You must load the magazine to its full capacity (or the Division limit of 10, inherited from the AWB, for a high cap) plus a round in the chamber to start all stages unless otherwise provided in the CoF. They REALLY don't want you scheduling reloads for the individual stage.

If a 9 + 1 loadout is advantageous for five double taps, reload on the transition, and resume shooting, then your MD is of limited imagination. A few stages with triple taps, Poppers, and/or "freak out and hose the first target with 6 rounds" will make it clear that more ammo is better.

My previous Area Coordinator would not approve a 10 or 11 shot stage for a sanctioned match. The official position is that the Divisions compete only within themselves, there is no Match Winner trophy. But everybody looks at their overall placement anyhow. So he did not want anything that would make a strong difference in requirements for medium length stages. Make it a 12 shot stage and everybody has to reload once, even the revolver shooters.

But he never minded setting up an 18 shot stage (IDPA maximum) where a CDP .45 at 8+1 has to make an extra reload.

You are going to have to get out of the speed load habit. IDPA does not allow discarding a magazine if there is a round left in the chamber. Shoot to slidelock most times and learn the Tac Load or Reload With Retention for the occasional need.

A 38 Super would be the last round I would use. Who wants to pick up brass at a match. I would go with a 9mm Kimber. You can also fit a .40 barrel to it if desired and shoot Major. Kimber uses the same breech face for 9mm and .40.

A 38 Super would be the last round I would use. Who wants to pick up brass at a match. I would go with a 9mm Kimber. You can also fit a .40 barrel to it if desired and shoot Major. Kimber uses the same breech face for 9mm and .40.

For me it makes sense to stick with .38 super. First off my open gun is .38 super and my 1050 is setup to load super as is my 650. Now all I have to do is set the 650 up with a different powder and charge and I'm good to go. I can switch the press to .40 as I have all the dies but I don't for 9mm. I have a ton of .38 super brass as well as a ton of factory ammo as well. I think I'll stick with the super for sure.

Are there any advantage of using a .40 over a 9mm or 38 super? I'm not talking about cost per bullet etc but more about having an edge one way over the other? I'm guessing the .40 round mags only hold 8 or 9 rounds vs. 10 for the super so I would think the super has an advantage there?

Thanks,

Pete

Edited by PistolPete

Another MA easy option is to buy the Performance Center SW1911 in .38Super. I can't remember where but I've seen them in stock here before.

If you're going to go STI, why not just get an Eagle in Super with 126mm mags? You could use it with your current holster set up and mags for steel too.

Edited by GTOSHootr

Or you could just get an Eagle in .40 and get some duty mags. Then you have a back-up limited gun at the same time.

Pete already has a back-up Limited gun for his back-up Limited gun. :roflol:

You can never have enough back-up guns. You never know when a new shooter might show up with ammo and no gun.

Or you could just get an Eagle in .40 and get some duty mags. Then you have a back-up limited gun at the same time.

Pete already has a back-up Limited gun for his back-up Limited gun. :roflol:

You can never have enough back-up guns. You never know when a new shooter might show up with ammo and no gun.

I think I have 5 backup limited guns and I don't even shoot limited. HAHA Never thought of the Eagle!!! I think I will prob. just get a single stack to have something different. I don't know...

Steve, thanks for throwing the wrench into the mix. Now I'm thinking the Eagle would be the way to go. I would just do it in .40 and have Brazos tune the trigger and put his F.O. front on it and call it a day. :cheers:

However, I no longer have a single stack 1911 as I haven't had a use for one in a long time. It would be a lot different than my other guns. The cost differnce after the mods on the single stack won't be much at all so I'm not sure what to do. Maybe I just need to stick with USPSA... HAHA

If I were to get the Trojan I could also use it in USPSA in single stack but if I get the Eagle and I decide to shoot limited I'll shoot one of my Brazos limited guns instead of the Eagle. But, the Eagle will be more like my other guns because of the double stack.

Why does everything have to be so difficult. HAHA

Edited by PistolPete

If I were to get the Trojan I could also use it in USPSA in single stack but if I get the Eagle and I decide to shoot limited I'll shoot one of my Brazos limited guns instead of the Eagle. But, the Eagle will be more like my other guns because of the double stack.

Why does everything have to be so difficult. HAHA

As Joe says, it's nothing money can't fix.

It's mostly difficult because ESP is only friendly to a narrow subset of USPSA Limited guns. Glocks and 1911's (mostly) transfer easily.

An Eagle is advantageous in ESP because it's a double-stack. Downsides are cost, and magazine headaches. It took me a while to get a couple mags that worked reliably (fit the box, magwell, and locked slide-back) with my 9mm Eagle. I have 3 more magazine that aren't 100% reliable but I load to those...

A single-stack is something different from what you have, as you say, and would allow you shoot SS USPSA (though why minor??). You'll be competing against some double-stacks; OTOH, day-in, day-out, 9+1 is a minor but real advantage. Yeah, yeah, lots of stages obviate this advantage; some MD's have visions and stage designs that would shame Dali, etc., etc....But I'm just saying.

I don't see any point in .38 Super, given brass costs (and minor-scoring if cross over to USPSA SS) but if you have brass to spare....<shrug>

I have a 9mm eagle that I use for ESP and pretty much just for ESP. The back up to that is a 9mm SS. I haven't had a lot of problems with mags, get 126mm STI mags, spacer, 140mm springs and all of mine have fed 11 rounds and lock back fine. If you don't have a Single Stack, my heart goes to .45 but my economical/gamey side goes to .40. In Single stack the only advantage is cost of bullets in the 2. In IDPA you can shoot the .45 in CDP and ESP if you like.

If you have a stock .40 eagle laying around that would work out fine in ESP, slap on a SVI or a Trimmed down STI magwell, get 126mm mags with wedge pads and go have fun. Hell if you really want to get gamey and use up some of those bullets you have laying around you could have a 9mm topend fitted to it.

Edited by steel1212

I don't shoot IDPA so I've got no opinion relevant to competing there, but I've got a single stack in Super that a use for steel, and its a blast.

Minor PF rounds are so easy to shoot, the gun feels great, and as Pete said, since I'm already reloading Super for Open division its no problem to load minor for this gun.