Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&w 686 .38 Super In California

lcambre

Hi, first let me say that I am a revolver guy and that I don't think anyone needs a reason to buy a new gun, I just have a question (that was intended as a "flame-proof" disclaimer). Is a 686 in .38super a good IDPA (which I've never shot) set-up or is there another need driving the develpoment? Pardon my ignorance if this comes out as a stupid question but I've been curious about a possible use since I saw that S&W was producing one.

Thanks, Chris

Chris,

I have the new 686 38 super.. Man it is great.. Yes it is good for idpa.

and the 686 38-357 is also.

But the 38 super comes from the factory set up for moon clips. so if you want a great moon clip gun it is the way to go.. Because if you change a 357 to a moon clip you cant shoot it in idpa.

Leroy

Leroy-

What kind of power factor loads would be o.k. to shoot in the 686 .38 super?

Would you want to shoot major loads for any reason, such as IPSC, or would you simply want to shoot minor loads for all the games?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

A 686 38 Super with a barrel of 4.2 inches or less is good to go in IDPA SSR Division with a PF of 105.. IF.. you load it from a speedloader. If you load it from moon clips it moves to ESR and must make a 165 PF. I am a IDPA SO, and a copy of the current Rule Book lives in my range bag.

Toothguy, You are correct, but check the specs on a 357 and then match it to a 38 super.

There is only a minute difference.

The 38 super has a smaller rim and that is about the only difference.

On most 357's, the 38 super falls into the cylinder, but...when loaded into a 60-14, they are caught by the ejector.

Then after fired, they eject fine.

I have two 60-14's and they both work well with 38 super.

Of course you get the same recoil as with a 357 in the J frame.

Before I bought my 60-14's I checked to see if the ejector caught the 38 super first.

I only wish my Dan Wesson would have been suitable to shoot 38 supers in, but it wasn't.

The real question is: Was that the rule 9 years ago when this thread was relevant?

-ld

Negatory. Just one division back then. I tried to find a 9mm Speed 6 -thought it would be a neat little gun to shoot in SSR. Never found one though.

Toothguy: "I wasn't sure why you would want to shoot 38 super (.356) in a .357 J frame. There are so many loads available with the correct ammunition. I guess in an emergency?"

I get the same fire power that one would get with a 357 when using 38 super and the cost is quiet a bit less.

Of course there is always the 38 standard or + P.