Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major .40 w/ TG questions

Mattog22

Hi guys, new to this forum, new to IDPA and USPSA. I've been using 5.1 gr. of TG under a 165 gr FMJ bullet. I am shooting out of a stock 3rd Gen Glock 22. Another guy I was shooting with uses the same load, just coincidence we were using the same load. I don't have a chrono yet but he said he was making major with this load using a Glock 35. I have been doing some reading on this forum and it seems as if TG may be dangerous to make major with in .40. I have looked at my brass and I see no pressure signs. It seems very accurate and clean burning. I would like to know if some other people are safely using TG to make major or should I change powders. I just need a reason since I have had such good luck with it. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by Mattog22

I and many others have used pounds and pounds of the stuff.

Thanks, sometimes you only get to hear the negatives about stuff. Since I'm a bit new to this I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake.

Up to a point, a heavier bullet going slower will give more of a push rather than a slap in recoil. Depends on what you like.....I like a 200gr bullet but the cost difference makes a 180gr feel just fine to me.

Lee

TiteGroup is common with heavier bullets. (180-200+gr)

Not common with 135-165gr bullets. Slower powders are

best for them. Their's much to learn. Do a search in 10mm/.40

reloading sub-forum. Use search phrases like titegroup+major.

Huge resource.

Jim

Only thing i've ever used for 165 and 180s, works fine. 5.1 seems a little high if your loading to 1.135. You should get a chrono soon so you don't over pressure. You only need 917 ft/sec for maj. with 180s

Only thing i've ever used for 165 and 180s, works fine. 5.1 seems a little high if your loading to 1.135. You should get a chrono soon so you don't over pressure. You only need 917 ft/sec for maj. with 180s

the 5.1gr is using a 165gr bullet, not 180gr.

Get a Chrono!

From http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

165 GR. SIE JHP Hodgdon Titegroup .400" 1.125" 4.6 961 27,000 PSI 5.1 1047 33,600 PSI

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

5.1 at 1047 is almost a 173 PF and at Max PSI!

Edited by North

Pounds and pounds here too !! I love my TG !! What got me hooked was a test a buddy of mine and

I did a while back after hearing all the hype. We loaded a handful of rounds with a common powder, I

think it was Power Pistol or Bluedot, to the same chrono results as a handful loaded with TG. Then we

switched between magazines loaded with the different powders, man what a difference in "felt recoil" TG made ...

I bought a couple pounds of Tightgroup, and tried various loads in both .40 and .45, and I simply didn't care for it. Compared to other pouders with similar burn rates, Win-231, Bullseye, Solo-1000, N-310, and Trailboss, I found little or no difference in felt recoil, but found Tightgroup to be much more temperature sensative, and much dirtier and smokier than most of the others. I've settled on Solo-1000, I find it's not as temperature sensative, much cleaner burning, and very versital for a fast powder. I now use it in my 12ga loads, and have worked up loads using it in .380, 9mm, .40, and .45 I find having one powder that works for almost everything is really convienient, as I can now go buy a 25# keg once every year or so, and use it for almost everything except .38SC and rifle calibres. I have also settled on Varget, in much the same way, for all my rifles.

Titegroup and JHP 180's are a match made in heaven. It's all I shoot in my 35 to make major. Just do your research and load it with care paying attention to all the details and don't get sloppy or you will pay for it. As a side note, Titegroup and molys equals a lot of smoke and barrel cleaning. Stay away from that combo.

Matt - As you've seen, there's no lack of opinions here. :) I just want to reinforce the suggestion about getting a chronograph. They're relatively cheap (<$100), and will give you the confidence that your load makes the PF from your gun, or will let you know that it doesn't so you can adjust and/or change it.

My experience with Titegroup is that it works well in autoloaders, using bullets with enclosed bases (plated, JHP, CMJs, etc.). It's what I use for 9x19.

FWIW, 180s seem to work better for me than lighter bullets, at least in terms of recoil. Heavier (than 180 grain) bullets seem to work well in 1911s, but not in standard .40s (Glock, M&P, XD, Beretta, etc.) due to the differences in seating depth. On that line of thought, be really careful using .40 data on this site; many shooters will post their loads without mentioning that the loads are 1911-length, which will yield higher pressure when loading to fit your Glock. Factory Glock barrels work well with normal pressures, but not with higher ones due to their design.

I've burnt a few pounds of TG.

I don't like it in 9mm, but love it for the .40S&W and as of this time haven't tried it in my 45ACP revolver nor my 38SP +P.

4.7gr/TG under a 180gr Frontier CMJ gives me a PF of 177 out of my STI Trojan and my G35.

Edited by RePete

#1 - Get a chrono.

#2 - Another big fan of Titegroup for 40 Caliber. I've loaded it Major with 180 & 200 grain Montana Gold AND 170, 185 and 200 Precision Bullets with excellent results. I've also loaded it Minor with 155 Montana Gold. I've experimented with a few other powders and always gone back to the TG. It rocks!

I didn't care for Titegroup myself. My favorite load in the G22 for major PF is 4.3 grains of Universal Clays and a 200gr. Precision (moly) bullet for about 170PF. I have a KKM barrel in my gun though. I've always been a little paranoid about having as much chamber support as possible in .40. Anyway, it's very soft recoil. More of a slower "push" than a snap, kinda like I was used to coming from shooting .45 for so many years. Depends on what feels best to you really. To me, heavy bullet and fast-ish powder feels best out of 5" or shorter barrels. When I shot a Glock 24 with a 6" barrel, 180gr. bullets felt better.

I am going to get a chrono this weekend. I know this is probably a question with lots of different opinions but what is a good chrono for starting out? I don't know if I really need all the extra gadgets but if most of you have found out that you eventually do like the extras it would be better for me to get it now than buy a second one later. Thanks for everyones input so far.

I've got a Chrony, forget the model, but it's got the remote display/control. The Chrony is OK, but I'd probably buy a CED if I was going to do it over again since that's what they will probably have at matches. The Chrony can be finicky sometimes, but I think they all are to some extent. Try to chrono on cloudy days and it'll work better.

I agree with everything that is posted here - I am loading 4.6 TG behind 180 Gr MG JHP, getting around 168 - 170 PF out of STI Edge. And if I had to do it over again I would buy the CED Chrono over the Pro Chrony.

just my .02

Titegroup in my gun with moly bullets did not leave any lead residue

+1 - Many thousands of rounds of Moly and tightgroup, no leading, very little smoke. Much less than lead and lube. But I only use Precision and Masterblaster moly, YRMV with other makes. All Molys are not created/formlated/applied equal.