Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Michael Phelps

markcic

Holy crap that was a tight race.

Amazing!

A famous golfer once talked about winning majors and he talked about how you have to perform, but you have to have luck on your side too. MP has been amazing this week, and what he's doing is absolutely amazing. I'm a fan of a dominant performance so I'm particulalry loving this. I'm also glad to see a little luck pulling his way. From the pull away that Lezak made happen in the relay to winning by .01 seconds last night along with his dominant performance in so many other races (oh, and also account for the fact that most of his competitors aren't exactly racing as much as he is) those are the little things needed to do something historic.

I know the relay tonight is supposed to be a virtual lock, but I can't wait to watch it. Something about watching (good) history that just captivates me.

J

Wiggens, the British cyclist, won his second gold and became the first man in the 44 year of Cycle Pursuit to repeat. He has two more events to go and could become the most decorated Olympic cyclist in history with 7 golds.

This started a conversation between the commentators about how this year is so incredible. I think it has to do with where athletics have come, medically. Once, the Olympics was the event of a lifetime. Now it is possible to be competitive in two or three Olympics games, thats a 8 to 12 year period of top competitivesness!

Wiggens, the British cyclist, won his second gold and became the first man in the 44 year of Cycle Pursuit to repeat. He has two more events to go and could become the most decorated Olympic cyclist in history with 7 golds.

This started a conversation between the commentators about how this year is so incredible. I think it has to do with where athletics have come, medically. Once, the Olympics was the event of a lifetime. Now it is possible to be competitive in two or three Olympics games, thats a 8 to 12 year period of top competitivesness!

Not to rain on the parade or anything, but I hope that these atheletes prove/test "clean". Truly amazing accomplishments are being set and broken on a daily basis, but as also in the recent press, Gold Medals and records have been stripped even many years after competition. It just kind of makes me reluctant to truly be a fan, when we have been burned so many times before. <_< But as has been stated before Phelps is accomplishing some amazing records, and I hope he continues to do well....

Not to rain on the parade or anything, but I hope that these atheletes prove/test "clean". Truly amazing accomplishments are being set and broken on a daily basis, but as also in the recent press, Gold Medals and records have been stripped even many years after competition. It just kind of makes me reluctant to truly be a fan, when we have been burned so many times before. <_< But as has been stated before Phelps is accomplishing some amazing records, and I hope he continues to do well....

They said that the swimmers have to get RIGHT out of the pool and go and do a piss test immediately. They are watching Phelps very closely I'm sure.

The other reason these Games have been so historic is that new suits and pool designs have redefined the sport. So we are seeing the next generation of world records here.

The only thing I can say about that article is that Zuckerbrot is a frickin' idiot. I won't go into why, because that would be serious thread drift :lol: Feel free to PM me, though....

If you think about the fact that the man is in the pool 8+ hours a day, it becomes abundantly clear that he's torching some serious calories. At some point, simply getting that much energy in becomes really tough, and you have to convert to high caloric density foods - ie "crap" (pancakes, pizza, etc) - just to get the calories onboard. This is an extreme situation, obviously :lol: Looks like he's consuming more carbs than a Zone ratio would have him eating, but that's only a short glimpse of his diet, and only presented by someone who thinks high glycemic carbs are God's gift, so... ;)

Yeah, fueling the machine is critical, and that man is like a top fuel dragster in terms of fuel consumption (32 gallons to the mile!)

Edited by XRe

Michael Phelps has almost the perfect body-build for a swimmer.

With arms almost reaching to his knees while in standing position. The Ape-factor.

Perfect body-build in classic-mechanics+the willpower to perform to the Max!

Awesome...I truely believe that M. Phelps is clean, this is no kind of athlete that is in a need of any drugs to perfom well,

he has it and he deserves the win! Wow...to break the record of Mark Spitz makes him one of a kind!

Imagine the money management firms that must be bugging the crap out of everyone he knows trying to get some of the action from his up coming GLOBAL advertising contracts...

Whether he gets the eighth gold or not he is one very wealth 23 year old fella. He's earning it and you can see on his face that he's having a blast!!!

Lots of fun to watch!!!

The only thing I can say about that article is that Zuckerbrot is a frickin' idiot. I won't go into why, because that would be serious thread drift :lol: Feel free to PM me, though....

I know exactly what you are talking about.....I damn near had a seizure when I read that quote too. So much for "experts"

Back on topic, now :D

Phelps, Torres and a few others volunteered to be "super tested" this year. They are getting tested something like every day doing blood, urine, and anything else they can think up. Most other Olympians are only tested right after their events but the super test group is tested every day. That makes some sort of statement I guess.

What Mr. Phelps (why no one has tripped to the Mission Impossible link here is beyond me) is doing is incredible. I still remember watching Mark Spitz win his seven medals.

And all of us that over part of the "over 40 crowd" are certainly cheering for Dara too. And how about that sportsmanship of Dara yesterday holding up the race so a competitor could replace a torn suit? Awesome. :D

#8!

Move over Mark Spitz.

What an awesome feat.

Indeed awesome.

To be fair, Mark only entered 7 events and won 7 gold, he also set 7 WR. I have no doubt he would have won 9 had he entered them.

Edited by JThompson

#8!

Move over Mark Spitz.

What an awesome feat.

Indeed awesome.

To be fair Mark, only entered 7 events and won 7 gold, he also set 7 WR. I have no doubt he would have won 9 had he entered them.

I did say move over... not down. ;)

#8!

Move over Mark Spitz.

What an awesome feat.

Indeed awesome.

To be fair, Mark only entered 7 events and won 7 gold, he also set 7 WR. I have no doubt he would have won 9 had he entered them.

Maybe --- though that would have required learning more strokes. As Costas pointed out tonight, Spitz only competed in freestyle and butterfly, limiting his events a bit....

Phelps swims all four strokes....

In all this discussion of the fantastic Olympic athletes, we can't forget the amazing feats that have been performed by our Olympic SHOOTERS! Today, 19 year old (!!!!) Vinnie Hancock won the gold in men's skeet with a new Olympic record, after a sudden-death shoot-off after being tied after the final. He was named athlete of the year at 16 by the International Olympic Committee--so that is athlete of the year over ALL Olympic sports. He is the youngest gold medalist ever in shooting sports. The kid is rivaling Matt Dryke, if any of you remember him from the 1984 Olympics--or more likely from his exhibition shooting video of him shooting skeet from a unicycle. Vinnie currently holds all US, Olympic, and world records in skeet--all at 19 years old!

Then there is Matt Emmons, who looks like he is well on his way to a gold (after his embarrassing cross-fire in Athens that cost him his gold), and 3-time medalist Kim Rhode's silver medal in skeet, and Glenn Eller's gold in Men's double trap. America kicks butt in shooting too--let's hear it for them! :cheers: