Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Things to do in Honolulu in one day

Ok, never been to Hawaii, and heading there in early October to meet the USS Abraham Lincoln for a Tiger Cruise (my brother's stationed on the ship). I'm arriving a day before embarkation, and we won't be departing Pearl Harbor until the third day (at least, that's the plan). So, I've got a day, maybe a day and half, to nose around Honolulu and surrounding areas.

It goes without saying that I'll be hitting Pearl Harbor and the associated sites there. ;) My brother has suggested hitting luau at Paradise Cove one of the nights - supposed to be the best one in the area. We have to work out travel logistics there (no car), but that can be figured out.

Anything else that's a "must see/do" given the short time frame I've got to work with? Any ideas on a good place to stay near the airport or PH? I'm a photographer, so I'm obviously a little bit biased towards good places to take pictures :)

Right on Waikiki beach you can take a submarine ride....goes down to about 125ft and they have different artificial reefs set up to include an intentionally sunk Navy oiler, concrete donuts, an airplane, etc. We saw Moray eels, sharks, sea turtles...you name it. Very cool and takes less than an hour if my memory is correct. I was staying right near there....think it was the Royal Hilton Village or something close to that and it was like a 100yd walk to where you signed up and paid. R,

Two words. Scuba Dive!

You gotta go diving.

J

Yup, dive. The oiler that Bart mentioned (YO-257) is a pretty nice dive. It is close in so it doesn't take too much time out of your day. I seem to recall that I did a dive on the 257 and one on a shallow reef in only a few hours. Pretty nice. And you get to make gestures at the folks in the Submarine :rolleyes:

Aloha,

Chuck

+1 on the snorkeling suggestion.

Also they now have "SNUBA" which is an air line is connected to you so theres no certification needed and you have a guide with you .

I snorkeled every day on Maui and they were great days.

Like having your own private aquarium you could swim in to see the fish.

CLear water like you cannot believe.

JK

thats too short for honolulu. There are the memorials, a day in the beach relaxing, water sports, international marketplace, great food, beach strolling, hanauma bay snorkling.

You wont need a car, the bus service is good unlike maui where there seems to be no bus at all :)

Two words. Scuba Dive!

You gotta go diving.

J

+1!

I have never been to Hawaii, but won an all inclusive trip to the great state my senior year of high school and gave it to my folks for a wedding anniversary present. They got the most value out of their scuba adventures and taking in the culture.

As a photographer, there are many fresh waters pools and waterfalls where you can do figure studies. Or there is a famous bay where people snokel because there are a billion fish in very shallow water. Oct is good for windsurfing. North shore is a great place yeararound.

If you go to the Arizona, et al, GO EARLY. They issue tickets first-come first-serve, and there is a limited availability. I got lucky and only had to wait a couple of hours for my time slot, but others soon after me were scheduled for the shuttle boat 5 hours later.

If it's not crowded, you'll still have a full day to do something else. If it is crowded, you won't kill all day standing around waiting.

the culture show is a whole day affair but if your not into it, better get alternative activities.

You can experience the culture at honolulu in a lot of venues. even the hotels along the beach offer some sort of dinner entertainment with a lot of cultural shows

. And you get to make gestures at the folks in the Submarine :rolleyes:

Aloha,

Chuck

So that was you Chuck! Hmmmm....I seem to recall their wasn't quite enough room in the sub to turn around and moon the divers, but I did think about it :roflol:

Things to do in Honolulu in one day...

Jump on the morning flight to Maui and put on a training class for us that day. Write the whole trip off as a business expense :lol:

Have a great time!!!

Somehow, I think the Navy will take issue with me wanting to return with my racegun in my bag, Don, but... :D Something to keep in mind for the future, though, especially if you guys have interest in a class! I'll certainly be returning at some point, when I have time to do a little more than a whirlwind sightseeing tour...

Diving sounds great - but I just don't think I'll have time. Trying to see the Arizona memorial is really high on my list - and getting that done, plus embarking on the ship (ie, boarding and loading on all my crap, etc) are two things that have to get done that day, so I don't really have much time for water activities. Yeah, i'm just gonna have to go back! :D

Uh, about 'loading all my crap,etc' Dave. Things may have changed since I went on a Tiger Cruise on the Enterprise, but there's precious little room on board ship for the etc. much less all the crap. Pack light! :)

Its really amusing - they tell you to pack "light" - and then they give this laundry list of crap to bring!!! I'm trying to fit it all in one duffel and a camera/laptop bag... we'll see how it works out... ;)

If you've only got the one day

-- If you want to do the diamond-head hike (which I highly recommend if you have the time), hit that *really* early - like 6am. It is less likely to be bogged up with lumbering tourists, it won't [yet] be stuffy-hot in the crater, and the views are stupendous. If you make it for sunrise (hey, that's like 10am Texas time!), you're in for a treat.

-- then beat feet to Pearl and see the Arizona and Missouri. If you get there before 9am, you should be ahead of most of the crowds. Be prepared for an emotional few hours. (If you're like me, also be prepared to get pissed off at the multi-media show they provide before taking you out to the Arizona. I'm just not prepared to believe that December 7th was all our fault because our oppressive imperialistic policies left Japan "no choice but to attack". But that's just me :ph34r: )

-- after that (which can easily fill up a day), reward yourself with a stroll down Waikiki beach. Very touristy, but... um... scenic. Start at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and work your way down to Kapiolani park, stopping periodically to dip in the water and enjoy a beach-side shave ice or mai-tai, as befits your taste. Repeat as necessary <g> If you need to acquire tourist swag, there's plenty of opportunities on Kalakaua avenue, including the "international marketplace"

If you want, you could start at Pearl, then drive to Waikiki, wander along the length of beach, past the park, and end up at Diamond Head. Just expect more crowds (and heat) along the beach and on the hike. If you've got wheels, you may want to drive around Diamond Head, stop at Hanauma Bay (used to be one of the best-kept snorkeling secrets, now it is ove-run with so many tourists the water isn't even all that clear, but it is still very pretty), Stop at the "blow-hole", keep going to Kaneohe, and then make your way back towards Pearl by way of the Pali highway. It's a pretty drive.

B

PS - another option, if you want to see fewer tourists and more of Hawai'i, is to avoid Waikiki altogether. Beat feet for the north shore - the main highway takes you through pineapple and cane fields to Haleiwa, which is a wonderful little north-shore town. Be *sure* to stop into Matsumoto's general store - best shave-ice *anywhere*. Then meander up the way past the famous north-shore surf spots (Waimea Bay, "banzai pipeline", Sunset beach) to the Waimea Falls park. It's gotten pretty touristy (I think they actually have "trams" that take you up to the falls, now), but it is a nice park, and [probably] worth it. Then, having done the requisite touristy things, find some mai-tais and head to the beach. Enjoy the sunset!

Edited by bgary

I wish, guys :) I'll be there in early October, during mid-week, so...

Bruce, the Diamond Head, Arizona/Missouri/Bowfin, beach/luau action sounds like about a full day. We'd probably have to do the stuff at PH first, and then go down to Waikiki and do Diamond Head, etc, just because of the way things will work out (no car, being based out of PH, etc).