Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What mag pouches do you guys recommend for IDPA?

PistolPete

I'm an experienced USPSA shooter so I'm not looking to get flamed. However, I've never shot IDPA and I'm curious what people are using for mag holsters for an M&P. I'm going to try shooting IDPA to see how I like it compared to USPSA. I shoot open I'm keeping an open mind and going to give this I try. I was thinking of just picking up a few Blackhawk mag holsters and trying them but figured I would ask the experts here. Also, are you limited to 2 mag holsters or can you carry more if you prefer?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Hello: I would use the Uncle Mikes double mag holder. If you want to spend more get the Comp Tac double mag holder. I tried the Blackhawk and ended up getting the double mag holder bracket and then sold the whole setup. I like to be able to adjust the tension on the mag holders ;-) Thanks, Eric

Hello: I would use the Uncle Mikes double mag holder. If you want to spend more get the Comp Tac double mag holder. I tried the Blackhawk and ended up getting the double mag holder bracket and then sold the whole setup. I like to be able to adjust the tension on the mag holders ;-) Thanks, Eric

Same here, if I was going cheap I'd get the UM. If I wanted to spend more I'd get the CompTac, but I'd get two singles.

I shoot a 2011, and really like the Ready tactical from SKDtac.com

$22.95 single mag pouch. They stay on the belt and don't move around, I have never had to wrestle one out of it's holder....Uncle Mikes....cough...ehemmm..

Ron

Two singles are the way to go. I use Comp-Tacs, but there are other good choices out there. Before you buy anything, check in the IDPA rulebook here to see how the mag pouches have to cover two inches of the mag. Some makers (Comp-Tac for one) will ensure that the mag pouch complies with the IDPA rules if you ask them to.

The cheapest way to do it is the UM double pouch. I've got one, and it works and meets the rules, but I don't like it much.

I tried the single mag pouch route, and discovered the furthest back liked to wiggle around and "walk" on me at times. I also like the idea of indexing to the same spot for retrieval, which is as close to the hip bone as possible.

For pouches I like Bladetech double mag pouches with the TekLok.

I use 2 single Blackhawk mag pouches for IDPA and 3 of same for USPSA, and use the same holster and gun for both games (shoot Limited in USPSA and ESP for IDPA). For me it's cheaper, and easier to keep range bag packed. Good on you for looking at "the other" game (it's all about shooting), and keeping an open mind, but echo the earlier comment about getting smart about rule differences. Don't let the differences frustrate you; enjoy.

I like to use two single mag pouches. Reduces the risk of dislodging one during a reload and receiving a procedural if it hits the ground during the COF. Also, you can only use 3 mags during the COF.

Pete,

Since you're in Western MA, show up at a S&W match at the Shooting Sports Center in Springfield (2nd & 4th Thursday @ 18:00 and 4th Saturday @ 9:00). You'll find lot's of useful information and friendly, willing providers. There is a match Thursday.

Also, a review of the rulebook might be helpful. The ESP and SSP Division (both of which you could use your M&P in) and holster/ammo carrier sections take up all of about 10 pages, the print is large and there are pictures. If you are experienced in reading and applying the USPSA rulebook, it will not be a technical challenge for you. You can get one for free at www.idpa.com.

Welcome and Hope to see you at S&W,

Craig

Edited by Bones

Another vote for CompTac singles. I used leather for a few yars, but the eventually loosen up. I have two Comp Tacs for my G21, which is carried daily all year long. They are adjustable tension. They are positive on the belt, and will withstand being taken on and off every day, for years. You do not have to thread them on your belt, the clip on. Which is a plus if you carry and have to go into a " gun free" er, um..... "killing zone."

kr