Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which is the proper way to shoot a Glock?

DenGuyTx

I've heard two different schools of thought and was just wondering if there was a right way to do things.

I've been told, after a shot, to ride the trigger back out just until I feel the trigger reset. This seems more precise.

But I've also been told, after a shot, to quickly let the trigger back out completely and then quickly take up the slack again. This seems quicker.

Is there any kind of consensus as to which way to do things?

I've heard two different schools of thought and was just wondering if there was a right way to do things.

I've been told, after a shot, to ride the trigger back out just until I feel the trigger reset. This seems more precise.

But I've also been told, after a shot, to quickly let the trigger back out completely and then quickly take up the slack again. This seems quicker.

Is there any kind of consensus as to which way to do things?

The first method is what I use and works faster than the second you wrote about.

You need to practice it.

Dry fire a LOT.

JK

Not to be a wise azz but the platform doesn't really matter the method may change as you progress.

Find spot, AIM, shoot spot, move along. Shot calling is the goal, what ever floats your boat to acheive that objective is "the best" for you at that moment. Only the moment matters.

Edited by Crusher

Controlling the release and reset of the trigger is generally considered to be the optimum way to shoot any semi-auto, but it takes a hell of a lot of practice -- more than I think most people are willing or able to muster. Plus, the fine level of control when running and gunning is going to be darned hard to manage. Here is an article that I think says it all: Trigger Control

Glock triggers are different and can take some getting used to. I don't pin the trigger though I believe some in the game do. My Glock triggers are made strictly for competition. Both break at 2# with very little take up to begin with. If your are learning to shoot your Glock competitively I suggest Matt Burkett's timing drills. Few thing will provide more input on trigger technique, regardless of make.

Link to drill http://www.doublealpha.biz/tip_burkett.htm#Timing%20Drills

Have fun, be SAFE

Jim

I don't think there is a consensus. Riding the trigger is thought of as a more advanced technique, but with Glock triggers generally not being super scary light, I think its not a big issue. Either might work for you. You might, as pointed out, have your technique evolve and end up changing over time, regardless of what you start with.

So, to quote the might Flex:

P.O.A.P.!

(pick one and practice)

Call Vanek and you won't have to think about let off!

Try a Glock with this setup and then you'll understand

my statement! :cheers:

That's one option sure - but I bet if you ask around you'll find that most of the upper end glock shooters are running fairly close to stock set ups. There isnt a need to throw high end trigger parts on the glock to make it shootable. Just ask Dave S or Robert Vogel or Flex or a few others.

Both of the methods mentioned for managing the Glock trigger will work, the critical thing being that the sights are not disturbed when the trigger is pressed to break the shot. Some people can use more of a slap method and attain good speed and accuracy, and for others riding the reset is a better way to go. I think that for beginning shooters riding the reset is a better way to go because their grip and stance is not developed well enough to allow them to keep the sights aligned as they stroke or slap the trigger all the way through its travel. As others have mentioned, as a shooter's overall technique develops and improves their technique for pressing the trigger might develop into more of a slap, but before that can happen a sound grip and stance is necessary to support the slap.

Call Vanek and you won't have to think about let off!

Try a Glock with this setup and then you'll understand

my statement! :cheers:

That's one option sure - but I bet if you ask around you'll find that most of the upper end glock shooters are running fairly close to stock set ups. There isnt a need to throw high end trigger parts on the glock to make it shootable. Just ask Dave S or Robert Vogel or Flex or a few others.

I agree. I wouldn't exactly place myself in the company of the great Glock shooters that you mentioned, but I prefer a fairly "stock" trigger. The only mod that I've done is a Ghost Rocket connector. I've had too many issues when I've tried light FP springs and other bull$hit. I've handled Bob Vogel's Glock. Other than having the $hit shot out of it, it was pretty much just like mine.

The reset is the best thing about the Glock trigger. If you can train yourself to use it properly, it will probably pay off more than "flipping and pressing" the trigger. That technique is usually reserved for guns with terribly long resets, like sigs.

Edited by FJR