Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge Loads

MTrout40

Hey all!   Can you hard core steel junkies give me an idea on the favorite loads for the super?  I shoot a 115 MG over IMR 4756 for major PF in USPSA.  Are heavier bullets preferred for SC? Hows about powder speed?  Any thoughts are appreciated..

Thanks

Trout

Hey MT,  haven't seen ya around for a while.  But then most GM's probably spend their time practicing or something instead of typing!!!  (or maybe school work, ugh!!!) I'll send ya the 'Girls of IPSC' story this weekend.

Have you been to Jeff Maas's site for loads?  I just quickly checked it and he has some non-VV stuff.  May not be what your looking for thou.

Heres a link;

http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/documents/hl38sup.pdf

James.

Hey 3QT!!  It's been a while!  I haven't been on the net or the trigger much..pulling my hair out over other things  I can't wait to hear the "girls of IPSC" story!!

My parents just moved to CA in August, and I found out they live about an hour from the SC match!  That ones on the list for '03  Thanks for the link..I'm new to this open stuff and that's the direction I needed to get started..lots of good data there!

Austin..thanks for the tip..I'll fly him an IM and get his expertise on some data..

-Trout

I am currently using  4.1 of WST behind a montana 115 Jhp.  Keep in mind though that this is in a radically lightened steel gun with a bushing barrel  and an aluminum comp. Also the main reason i'm using WST is that i have a boat load of it. I have been told that the faster powders ( like 231,titegroup, n320 etc.) are more suited to SC loads . My load is going about 950 fps.and is very quiet . I have tried loads with n350 and the gun cycles better and is more reliable with the faster stuff.

James Ong

The load I used this year was 4.8 grs of N320 with a 115 gr. JHP Remington running at 1070 fps. I know that there are some slower (fps) loads out there but this one worked for me. I have a new steel gun in the works over at Tommy's now. It is going to be a lighter pistol than the one I used this year, but I am going to start with the same load in it for my testing.

• 1 year later...

3.1 gr. BA-10 under a 124 gr. LRN

3.4 gr. BA-10 under a 124 gr. JRN

Gun: 4.5" slide, extremely lightened, 3 chamber comp, cut 7# spring.

For steel challenge, you definitely should lean toward the faster powders. At $8/lb, it's hard to beat BA-10.

• 4 months later...

Thanks guys!

I ended up using 5.6 of titegroup with a 115 JHP at the PSA shoot. I didn't change anything on the gun from my USPSA set up. I kept the 12# ISMI in and the gun worked great with this load. My brain on the other hand could have used a few more grains of powder.

This load seemed to work the comp good enough for quick recovery and it was under their velocity limit.

Btw, this year I'm running 6.6gr 4756 and a 121 JHP.  135 PF.  It's what I had handy and works well.

Shred,

Are you changing your spring weight at all to run this load?

-Chet

Nope, stock 7lb spring in the Dawson Minigun. Same load runs the supertanker open gun with a light Recoil Master in it as well.

Ten virtual lashes for not using the search function!

http://www.brianenos.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard...rum=4&topic=163

http://www.brianenos.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard...rum=4&topic=176

(Edited by Erik Warren at 6:18 pm on Dec. 20, 2002)

Is it me or do those links above not work :blink: (I know, it's probably me)

404 error for me as well :mellow: