Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best muzzle brake for a Saiga 12 Ga.

swandme

I am looking for input on muzzle brakes and 10 or better magazines for a 12 Ga.

Saiga.

PS The bbl is already threaded from the factory. I am unsure of the threads any in for on that would also be great...

Also would a 410 Saiga work for 3 gun and what class would it be in with 10 or 20 round box mags ?

Thanks

SwandME

Edited by swandme

Polychoke makes a nice adjustable choke for the Saiga-12.It has slots on the end of it, that work reasonably as a brake. There are some aftermarket brakes for the S-12, one in particular made by TROMIX. As for 10-round mags, AGP has a production line already established and are pretty reliable. Only other game in town at the moment are factory 8 rd mags and the 5 rdrs...good luck. :cheers:

I recently installed the Polychoke II on my saiga and it seems to have less felt recoil than without it. The issue with the Saiga is you really need a choke if you are using Wal-Mart bulk ammo (low brass). Without the choke....some moderate range and low brass you might as well be throwing rocks at large poppers or a "death star". I have not shot the Saiga in a match yet with the Polychoke II but I did pattern it and you could dial the pattern down considerably...that and the less felt recoil makes it the only way to go IMHO.

You need atleast a 20ga for 3 gun...plus a .410 would have some real issues.

Edited by THM7

Might wanna check that rule.....minimum caliber for Major is 20 gauge. We had talked about using 28 guage in the past.

Now....I may be wrong, but that was how the rule 'used' to read.

Tim

• 8 months later...

Update

I went with the Tromix Brakes and they are GREAT I went with the competition Model 3 port 3 gill

I am amazed

I also chose the Tromix Shark Brake for 2 of my AR's and they are the best I have tested so far.

Thanks

Update

I went with the Tromix Brakes and they are GREAT I went with the competition Model 3 port 3 gill

I am amazed

I also chose the Tromix Shark Brake for 2 of my AR's and they are the best I have tested so far.

Thanks

I like the Competition brake. We also have the new Surefire clear mags in.

Greg

post-13304-1239678409_thumb.jpg

PS The bbl is already threaded from the factory. I am unsure of the threads any in for on that would also be great...

Thanks

SwandME

The thread on the outside of the 12 ga barrel is M22x.75

I have threaded a couple of the Saiga 12 for standard screw in chokes tubes. We went with the Tru-Choke tube to be able to keep the barrel's OD threaded section as thick as possible in the expectation of other items getting screwed onto the barrel.

Remington choke tubes would work..... but the minor diameter of that threaded section is getting mighty thin and might cause a problem on some guns. Of course if you are cutting that section off the barrel its a non issue.

Edited by GunCat

swandme,

Check out the comps that Robert Wright of RandRRacingonline is using on his Saiga's! He cuts the threads off the end, threads the internal for Remington chokes and cuts the forcing cones to reduce recoil. Of course the gas system is shortened to make them work better. Great setup and here is some proof on youtube:

RLTW,

Scott

I have Dreadnaught Industries mid comp on my shotgun and UNA choke. Good combination. :)

Molot_comp01.jpg

Molot_comp02.jpg

how much gunsmithing is involved in installing this?

Send Alex Wakal a PM. He is a few posts up. He will take care of you. It is his design.

Greg

AtomicFerret,

Not a lot of gunsmithing needed putting the Dreadnaught Industries mid barrel comp on, just drill holes in the barrel and install the comp which is in 2 peices and clamps to the barrel pretty easy! If the Dreadnaught comps are to loose then just file or sand one of the two halves and that will make the comp fit tighter. Now, knowing where to put the holes, comp and how many holes and size... that might be another story:-) I can't help you with the above since I had the below done to mine.

I started with one comp and that was not working the way I wanted (still too much recoil) so I ended up putting on 2 of the Dreadnaught comps on my Saiga and they work very good (this system is not for the faint of wallet)! I had my gas system shortened prior to putting them on and that is not for the backyard gunsmith since you have to weld the existing gas system holes and smooth all out so I sent it out to RandRRacingonline.com to have it done. I am now thinking of using the RandRRacing.com comp which is something like the Dreadnaught comps but have exhaust holes in the top too and are one large comp vs 2 of the Dreadnaughts. The exhaust holes in the top hold the muzzle down better, but the Dreadnaught does help a great deal with recoil for some of us with the sensitive skin...and having the forcing cone done was a help too.

Since having the Dreadnaught and RandRRacing comps easy to remove, they are also easier to clean. I am not sure what is getting into the comp... it seems to be some plastic from the SG wad and carbon but I can clean pretty easy since you can just remove and soak and then clean. Wish my AR was as easy.

Hope this helps,

RLTW,

Scott