Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue fiber optic rod

lowetlx

I just bought and installed a novak front sight on my 1911. Th sight fit great with no issues. however i ordered the blue fiber optic to be a little different than the red and green thats out there. I have to say that i am pretty dissapointed in the blue rod. It is almost clear and does not "light up" like the red ones ive seen. I will call novak this week and get a red fiber. I just thought i would share this if anyone is looking into that color.

I ran red for a couple years and one day when the rod broke all I had on hand was green. I've never put red back in and switched everything to green.

I've tried yellow and went back to green after one practice session.

In watching guns at matches including nationals I'd guess that the world is split about 49/49 red/green with the other 2% being yellow and other colors.

I've tried various colors and always go back to red.

I'm going back in my memory a bit, but I read an article written by an eye doc that said the human eye detects the color hot pink quicker than any other color. They actually suggested that bicyclists should wear something with hot pink on it to help avoid car/bike accidents. They also suggest that hunter orange should be changed to hunter pink....don't see that one happening! I'd guess that the red FO dots are close enough to pink that the eye picks it up very quickly. R,

As far as blue FO... tried it once, and knocked it out of the sight that same practice session. I was so slow to focus on the front sight, and ended up using the top of the sight frame instead of the dot. As CarinaB stated, your shooting glasses have a lot to do with it as well. The blue failed miserably with smoke, amber, and clear lenses. Just my humble observation. Blue did not get my eye's attention in any way shape or form. Miserable.

OTOH... I run with a red FO 90% of the time. On occasion, I will throw in a green F.O., and watch my accuracy go up a ton. After awhile it tends to fade, and I switch back to red. My thoughts are that by changing the FO color I am forcing my eye to focus much more on the front sight, leading to (temporary) increased accuracy. A simple trick that works for me.

Well i called novaks today, i told them the blue wasnt what i expected and said i would like to buy a red rod. The gentlemen said he would sent me one of each of the colors to try out. I was quite satisfied as i was planning on buying the red one but he is sending them free of charge.

Speaking as someone who primarily shoots open, my limited guns have green fiber in them just to avoid confusing myself when I switch back and forth.

With the red fiber I tend to see the red dot on the target and shoot as with the open gun that would be all I need to see... The green triggers the check sight alignment response .

Peter Adams

FY 39604

With the red fiber I tend to see the red dot on the target and shoot as with the open gun that would be all I need to see... The green triggers the check sight alignment response .

Amen!! With a red fiber I am a complete disaster, with the green I shoot a lot better. People without much time on an Open gun probably don't have this problem.

Red and green are the only ones worth trying in my opinion, the rest change a ton based on light conditions.

Red and green are the only ones worth trying in my opinion, the rest change a ton based on light conditions.

Why I wonder. Not doubting your word as I have found the same thing but if we look at the light spectrum I can see why red seems to be the choice 90% of the time except for the open reddot limited green dot guys. Red is at the end of the visible spectrum and has the lowest freqquency and longest wavelength. Violet isnt mentioned but blue is close to being the other end of the spectrum and is allmost never used. Green is smack in the middle so an argument can be made it is the easiest to detect. humm kinda makes me wonder why one color is quicker to focus than others. Any light engineers out there ?

ok found it, evidently the eye has three types of cones, those sensitive to Red , Green and blue, Most eyes the red and green vastly out number the blue, in most people the red slightly outnumber the green, in some people usually men the green outnumber the red.

As Howard said completely true. Red fiber rods I can't even remotely shoot accurately. I shoot it like the open gun I just sort of put the red on the target and pull completely disregarding any alignment.

Amen!! With a red fiber I am a complete disaster, with the green I shoot a lot better. People without much time on an Open gun probably don't have this problem.