Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide rips into my right thumb!

lcs

MMMW.jpg

On my limited with the standard STI magwell, the slide bites the rear part of my thumb (nice blood flow) as my hands are so big. I thought this magwell might solve the problem, but don't want to spend the $$$ without some opinions. In addition, I wonder if my hand would then be to far down?

Anyone use one or have a used one sitting around? Thanks

http://shootersconnection.com/store/produc...products_id=550

Later,

Chuck

Nope as the rear of the slide catches the rear of my thumb and the swensons are more for stopping your thumb from dragging on the slide. Thanks though!

Wow, that's a meaty hand. I think the only fix, (other than get some exercise with that hand to slim it down :rolleyes: ) would be to have someone weld up a grip safety with more of a skirt on the left side to keep the top of your hand pushed down. A lower grip probably won't help your shooting!

Later,

Chuck

There is at least one thread on this magwell I know. I have very large hands and struggled for years with magwells. I finally got to try this magwell at the vendor tent at Area 2 a few years ago. I was the same way, wanted to try it to see if I liked it. I slipped it on a frame and knew instantly that this was it. I bought it and installed it that night at the hotel and shot the rest of the match with it. I have since put another on on my backup. If you need more room ont he grip, this is the only magwell I would suggest.

Neal in AZ

MMMW.jpg

On my limited with the standard STI magwell, the slide bites the rear part of my thumb (nice blood flow) as my hands are so big. I thought this magwell might solve the problem, but don't want to spend the $$$ without some opinions. In addition, I wonder if my hand would then be to far down?

Anyone use one or have a used one sitting around? Thanks

Thanks guys for the suggestions. My smith all ready did the "chamfer " trick. The chamfer did work some.

Thanks Aircooled6racer, I had not thought of removing the magwell and see if that works. Should also see how it impacts my shooting.

Ya gotta love this forum!

Fullrace,

I don't know if it will totally relieve your problem but I have been running the cape magwell for two years and love it. I have some pretty thick hands and magwells like the ICE reduced the room for my hand and actually slowed down my draw. This one still allows for a high grip but gives much more room to the rest of my hand.

take care, Craig

Looks like it already has an Ed Brown beavertail based on the pics, the STI beavertail has a knuckle relief cut into it. Your best bet is to put a heavy chamfer on the bottom outside edges of the slide and slightly round the back bottom corners.

Edited by BEDELLCUSTOM

Looks like it already has an Ed Brown beavertail based on the pics, the STI beavertail has a knuckle relief cut into it. Your best bet is to put a heavy chamfer on the bottom outside edges of the slide and slightly round the back bottom corners.

Thanks Dan. My gun is not pictured, just a shot of the Cape Magwell on a gun. I have done all the things you suggested. The slice and dice is not quite as bad now, but still a distraction when shooting. After a couple of stages it gets a little painful.

Fullrace,

I don't know if it will totally relieve your problem but I have been running the cape magwell for two years and love it. I have some pretty thick hands and magwells like the ICE reduced the room for my hand and actually slowed down my draw. This one still allows for a high grip but gives much more room to the rest of my hand.

take care, Craig

Craig,

They have three sizes did you go for the low model? The low giving the most room.

I had the same problem to the point I started to build up callous since it kept

getting cut over and over. I dont think that the magwell will work as your subconcious

grip will still be the same. If I thought about placing my thumb more loosely I would

be ok but who has time to think. Cutting the slide will keep from geeting cut and the safety

could also work as it will place your thumb farther out, enough to clear those serrations.

For me, I happened to completely rework my grip for other reasons which completely solved

the problem. I reworked the strong hand into a looser grip away from the safety, sitting loosely

on my weak hand. Major trigger jerk fix !!

Fullrace,

take care, Craig

Craig,

They have three sizes did you go for the low model? The low giving the most room.

The low one is the ticket :cheers: