Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New folding knife recommendations?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They all pretty much can be speedy opening. It all depends on how fast you want it open. Anything from Benchmade would be good. You would have to choose since sizes vary.

Emerson has the 'wave' feature that is fast opening as it comes out of the pocket. It's a little more stout than the benchmade. For ropes and boxes, I'd go with the Emerson.

I have a lot of folders but always go back to my Gerber Harsey Air Ranger for daily carry. It is lightweight without feeling flimsy, holds an edge well and can be snapped open very quickly.

-ld

A good inexpensive EDC would be a Spyderco Native. You can get one for about $40 at walmart. Great little knife, Great steel (S30v), the rest of the knife is what you would expect for $40

For assisted opening, you could try a Kershaw. one of their speed safe might fit the bill. Something Like the Boa.

Any benchmade with the axis lock are fast opening knives

I just purchased a Zero Tolerance 0300. Great knife, very strong, Built like a brick and about the size of one too.. Go to a local knife shop and find a knife that fits your hand and is a size you would be comfortable carring everyday

I have Benchmade autos, Kershaw and CRKT but the one I most often have in my pocket for a working day to day knife is a Buck Folding Hunter.

Damn buddy.... is that a knife in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? heheh That's a pretty large/heavy one to carry in a pocket. You are talking about the 110?

I have Benchmade autos, Kershaw and CRKT but the one I most often have in my pocket for a working day to day knife is a Buck Folding Hunter.

Damn buddy.... is that a knife in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? heheh That's a pretty large/heavy one to carry in a pocket. You are talking about the 110?

Yeah, the 110. It only seems overly large to todays wimpy youth. When I began carrying it more than 20 years ago it was because it was Airline legal to fly with since the blade is less than 4" at 3.75" and Buck would replace it if you broke it. Buck still has a lifetime warranty and great customer service from what I hear, I've never needed it and trying to fly with it would most likely get you declared an enemy combatant and a one way ticket to Gitmo these days. The folding hunter has been a knife, bottle opener, box cutter, letter opener, pry bar and hammer for a generation now; a life my Ken Onion Rainbow Leek can only aspire to emulate.

:cheers:

As an every day carry, I always seem to come back to the Spyderco Delica.

Delica

I also like the new Spyderco Tenacious - which is IMO one of the best deals around. Tenacious

I also like the Native, but find it slightly hard to open than the Delica and Tenacious.

I also like the BM Griptilian, but find it slightly too thick in the pocket. The Mini-grip is nice too, but doesn't alow a full have grip for me. I modified the handle and it now works for me.

Edited by chp5

I like the Kershaw Ken Onion 1660 for daily carry. 3" blade and spring assisted opening. Nice and thin in the pocket. I also carry the 1620 when I want a smaller knife. When I want to dress up I carry a Josh Smith(joshsmithknives.com) custom liner lock damascus folder with mother of pearl grips.