Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New reloader concerned about loading in house

Douglas

I have noticed that a lot of you load in the garage, apartment, or somewhere attached to your dwelling. I have got a shed that I was planning to use, but don't have a way to control heat or cold (100 degrees to single digits in winter) or humidity. I also have a room that I can load indoors and alleviate those concerns. My concern is loading indoors and any safety measures I should take, like primers going off, etc. I sure would hate to have to look for a bridge to camp under. In fact the only bridge is over a railroad track and that doesn't sound too restful. If I am making to big a deal of this, just tell me to chill and start loading.

I have noticed that a lot of you load in the garage, apartment, or somewhere attached to your dwelling. I have got a shed that I was planning to use, but don't have a way to control heat or cold (100 degrees to single digits in winter) or humidity. I also have a room that I can load indoors and alleviate those concerns. My concern is loading indoors and any safety measures I should take, like primers going off, etc. I sure would hate to have to look for a bridge to camp under. In fact the only bridge is over a railroad track and that doesn't sound too restful. If I am making to big a deal of this, just tell me to chill and start loading.

live in South Florida and deal with heat in the garage year round. My solution isn't cheap but it works. I installed a Mitsubishi AC unit that is very small and hangs on a wall. You drill a hole in the wall and the outside unit is on the ground. I use a portable workbench for my Dillon 650. when I want to reload, I move a car out into the driveway and turn on the AC. Instant workshop and its perfect.

Douglas, you're where I was at 3 months ago, so far as concerned about the same type of things. I'm now loading in my garage in Central Fl in the summer - talk about heat and humidity. I'm not having any problems at all so far. I suppose if I had a place indoors I might do it just to be more comfortable. Based on your concerns, I'd have to guess you're a safety conscious guy who is going to take his time and watch what he's doing. I have friends who reload in their den/office/second bedroom and have for years. I'd pick a place and get to it. If you don't feel comfortable in the chosen spot - pick another one. nothing is that permanent. (and if you have primers going off all the time, then I've misjudged you :) )

JimInFL

Douglas,

Your fine. Here's what I do. Store primers in a cool dry place. Store powder in a different cool dry place. They come together only when I'm loading. My bench is in an air conditioned spare room due to it bein' in Arizona. :)

Keep it clean and organized and you're good.

Jim

Douglas,

Your fine. Here's what I do. Store primers in a cool dry place. Store powder in a different cool dry place. They come together only when I'm loading. My bench is in an air conditioned spare room due to it bein' in Arizona. :)

Jim

DITTO :rolleyes:

Just common sense...

If a primer tube were to blast off...its best nothing important is directly over it...

Jim

I lived in the St. Pete area for about 2 years and the humidity about did me in. Had to come back to the dry heat (New Mexico) where you just fry as opposed to being steamed. I take it that you are not concerned about humidity or heat when it comes to storing powder, primers, etc. Does that degrade your components or do you just shoot your ammo and use up your powder fairly quickly?

Finally got the kids out of the house so a spare bedroom opened up, just what I needed. Turned it into my gun room. I reload and clean my guns in comfort and the temp. and humidity problems in South Texas are cured. Just pay attention and keep things clean and you will be fine. If I had to load in my garage, I probably wouldn't. It is over 100 degrees here today - know what I mean.

Douglas,

Jim

Ya, but it's a dry heat. :devil:

Back to topic.

I just wait til it cools down a little at night. A small fan does the trick for me. It might not work there with all the humidity. My bet is, you don't cool off as much at night as we do. I've never had a primer go off, but it is still something I'm careful about. Always wear glasses. If you have small folks at you house, keep everything cleaned up, some of these components are pretty nasty. I saw a portable a/c unit at home depot the other day. It got me thinkin' that I might need to spend some dinero. Whatever you do be safe and have fun.

J-Ho

If you reload inside, be sure to tumble and seperate outside.(lead dust) I reload in the garage with fan at night as previously posted. In the summer it's in the 90s out there, that's ok. I jump in the pool afterward and sleep very soundly!

JZ

I've always reloaded indoors. I bought the house I'm in now so I could turn the downstairs bedroom into my gun and reloading room. Powder is stored in a cabinet, 3 feet away, in the closet is more powder and about 4 more feet away from that, also in the closet is all my primers.

There shouldn't be any health concerns with reloading indoors but you should take normal safety measures, i.e. safety glasses, fire extinguisher close by and if the loader feels like it's jamming, don't force it...

I've never had a primer blow while reloading, even sometimes when I did try to force the handle. I have had them blow up while vacuuming though. :surprise: That always breaks up the monotony of vacuuming.

I wish I could reload inside. No room!

One thing to think about is carpet. I frequently spill spent primers on the floor of my garage. The little catch bucket gets full, or sometimes one just misses it. It is nice to cleanup with a broom and dustpan, instead of a vac. If I had a reloading room inside, I'd use something besides carpet.

Another important factor...Let people know that when you are reloading you need to give it total concentration. If you get distracted take a couple minutes to check where you were before the distraction and then continue. Do not leave an unfinished round in the press even if you have to grab one primer to finish. Make sure you get the warning divises for your press and use them. Someone asked how primers in a primer tube can detonate. Trying to use too much force when reloading can cause problems so if something doesn't seem right - STOP - check it out ant then continue. I suggest you light a small amount of powder to see how it reacts. Absolutly no open flame any where in your loading room not even a scented candle.

Good luck and be safe

Richard

Another important factor...Let people know that when you are reloading you need to give it total concentration. If you get distracted take a couple minutes to check where you were before the distraction and then continue. Do not leave an unfinished round in the press even if you have to grab one primer to finish. Make sure you get the warning divises for your press and use them. Someone asked how primers in a primer tube can detonate. Trying to use too much force when reloading can cause problems so if something doesn't seem right - STOP - check it out ant then continue. I suggest you light a small amount of powder to see how it reacts. Absolutly no open flame any where in your loading room not even a scented candle.

Good luck and be safe

Richard

Oh, come on! I've been smoking cigars and watching 'Married with Children' while reloading for years!

:roflol:

I reload in the garage where the temperatures can peak at over a 100 with some insane Alabama humidity.

I have a sweet setup that is getting even nicer tomorrow, getting a new fan! I wish I had an AC in the garage but running AC in Alabama Summer already cost $300 for power for the main house. I spend more time in the garage than in the house maybe I should switch that around.

I didn't catch the environment you lived in. But safety should be a constant thought. I store my primers in the gun safe. The powder is in a fire rated safe from Home Depot. Unless you plan on storing lost of powder you can get inexpensive (not relative once you get there!!!) humidity controlled safes at your local sporting goods store.

For a bench I got the scratch and dent special on counter top ($36 for 10') and two damaged cabinets ($75 each) from Lowes. You can kind of see the pictures in a blog post about my Dillon 550.

A few days back I found a story about primers exploding in the machine on D9Firearms.

Jeff686 thanks for your input. I am just repeating what I read and heard for years (written by experts). I have also read where static electricity can set off powder! I am just presenting SAFETY TIPS to a newby. If he wishes to follow those tips that is up to him. I do not agree with your method but you have the right to reload any way you wish. I wish you continued success and safety.

Richard

Loading in an unheated uncooled area doesn't present any problems from the standpoint of affecting componants that I'm aware of, and I've been doing it 25 years. As far as operator comfort, I've got a fan. As long as its pointed right at me, I can reload through out the Texas summer.

In winter, I've got coats and sweaters. It ain't as bad as you might think. As they say, just do it!

I am lucky!!! When I bought my house it had a brand new 10'x16' storage building with a loft. I built a work bench across the back wall with shelves above it. I put a window air unit, a propane gas heat unit, a fan, 2-4' long halogen shop lights, and a metal cabinet mounted to the wall for powder/primer/loaded ammo. For more comforts I have added a love seat and more storage cabinets. I have an extra Directv receiver, but havent run a cable down to the building yet. For now I just have a stereo and a portable DVD. Next items will be a refrigerator and a skylight. My wife and child come down to visit every so often. It's nice...

On another note one friend I have is spoiled enough that his wife makes him a cooler up and sets it by his reloading table so that when he sits to reload he doesn't have to stop for breaks. Since it is a 1050 he has 1 hand on the drink and one on the roller handle.

Another friend uses an old bedroom and a metal desk. One side of drawers holds primers and the other side holds powder. He also sits and reloads in front of a tv while smoking cigars. Safe combo......