Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Watching my dog go downhill

Jeeper

My old girl dalmatian is now 14.5 years old. I have had her since my freshman year in college and we have been through my entire adult life together. Hell, her name and birth date is the serial number on my limited gun. It really sucks watching her starting to whither away. About a year ago she hurt her back pretty bad. I don't know what she did but I think she fell down the stairs. She couldn't walk for about a week. I took her to a my vet and a neurologist and they were hesitant to operate on a 13 year old dog that had a pretty bad heart murmur. They basically made me kennel her to get rest. This dog cannot be kenneled. She pushed her nose so hard against the gate that it bled every day. She has gotten a lot better in that she can walk without many issues, but she sags if she is up for a long time. The problem now is that she cant control her bowels. she craps in her sleep and when she is just walking though the house. Thank god for tile floors in my downstairs. I don't know how much longer this will be tolerable since my youngest child is just starting to crawl. That and I have my third kid on the way. I think that the worst thing is that she knows that she cant control it. You can just see the shame in her eyes when she realizes she pooped in the house. I know that this is inevitable but it still is depressing to watch.

Jeeper,

I've been there and it just sucks. My old guy Chester got to the same point last year, due to a degenerative spinal cord disease that slowly got worse. He was also 14.5yrs old and experienced the same problems you're going through now. It was probably the hardest thing I've ever dealt with, but I know he's in a better place now, waiting for us. Nothing anybody can say will make you feel better, but our family has you in our thoughts.

Jeeper, if you haven't already, let me suggest a book that may hold special meaning for you. "Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog by Ted Kerasote. The author, a well-known outdoor writer, faces the same problem after a long and well-lived life with a friend that shared much of his adult life. It captures the joy of their life together, and the inevitable sorrow of impending loss. Wonderful book, with lessons we all must learn. Peace to you and to your beloved pet.

EDITED: to correct spelling in author's name.

Edited by BayouSlide

Jeeper,

I know what you're going through.....just 4 months ago I had to put my Dobermann down. She had the canine form of hepatitis, and was in liver failure. She was on so much medication & special diet for her liver, but everytime her blood tests came back from the lab she had gotten worse. I think it was something like 3 weeks from the time she was diagnosed to the day we made "the decision". She went downhill so fast, it was unbelieveable. Watching it was really hard! The night before we did it she was up all night, vomitting, diarrhea, restless, she hadn't been eating much of anything in days. She was only 6 yrs old.

Jeeper,

Tough to watch our friends in decline, you will know when the time is right. I remember when it was time for my childhood dog under similar circumstances. My sis-n-law waited too long for her dog just yesterday, and it turned into a horrific end. Made me angry to hear about it and brought a tear to my eye.

I feel for you too... we had to put my best friend down last year... I still think of her a lot and her collar resides on the mirror of my car. I put it there the day I had to take her in. I haven't had the courage to remove it.

This also has added meaning as my other best buddy is undergoing a tricky surgery as I type this.

Try and bring all the good times back and remember him that way. My prayers are with you bro....

Jim

I'm sorry for what you are going through.

It's one of the real sadnesse in life that such good and loyal friends live such a short while.

Last year we lost our golden retriever, Bonnie, to cancer. Clyde, her brother, then went everywhere with me so he wouldn't miss her so much, just like when he was a pup - - if I left him at home when he was young, he'd have bonded first with my wife as even snakes will bond with her. :rolleyes: Last month we lost Clyde too. He was just over 11 and had been slowing down for awhile. Fortunately it was quick, I suspect a heart attack. When he was still here, I used to worry some about how I might deal with it after he died - - I couldn't imaging how I could. There were tears, but I didn't bawl like a baby, might have been easier had I done that.

My plan was for Clyde and I to grow old together, but he passed me up. I still shuffle my feet on the carpet when going to bed, so I don't step on him in the darkness. During the last few weeks he'd taken to sleeping closer to my bed than on his. I miss him.

bumper

Thanks for all the nice comments. I am not giving up on her just yet. She is too tough for that. Back when I raced mountain bikes she would run with me, sometimes up to 30 miles. I have a few precriptions and other things to try. That and the last resort is the diapers. She ought to love that. There is no way I could put her down unless she got really bad. Just the other morning I woke up and saw her rolling around in the grass like she did as a pup, with a big stupid smile on her face. Then she came in and licked my hand.

BayouSlide, I ordered that book

Jeeper,

Sorry to hear about your dog. The problem is they are not pets they are family members. Just try to keep in mind it is not what is best for you ,but what is best for the dog. Hope the meds work.

T.C.

Keith, I so sorry to hear about your troubles with the girl. These threads always get right into the middle of my heart. I do like hearing about her frolicking in the yard, though.

Best wishes inbound for both of you.

you will know when the time is right.

Sorry to hear this kind of knews Jeeper. I agree with Greg, you'll know when the time is right. When I had my dog, I always thought I'd never put him to sleep. That changed when I saw him suffer, and there was no other help for him. The worst part was he looked right at me as the sleepy shot went in. I think dogs know what's going on right as it is happening. It was his way of saying goodbye.

Jeepers,

Excellent book recommendation by Bayou Slide. Enjoy it.

Been there way too recently, and it was a hard choice. You'll make it on your own when it's time, and not a minute early.

I got a 3 day notice with mine, and it was damned hard to do, but I loved him enough to let him go ahead and wait for me on the other side. We squeezed 6 years of love affection and loyalty into 72 hours, and yeah, I bawled like a baby when he went. I loved that one more than my w... oh never mind. She already knows.

There is a special bond between a man and his dog, and it's a tough one to beat. I wish nothing but the best for you and yours.

When my Husky died, he was 12. He started to have the same problems yours has. I thought he was just acting up so I was hard on him. It wasn't until he died that I realized it was old age. I've regretted getting mad at him ever since. It took 4 years before we got another dog but I still think of him alot. They do get a hold of you.

I'm hoping for the best for you.

Sorry to hear about her decline. Twice in the past two years we were faced with the same thing. Your remark about mountain biking with her hit home for me. My best dog, Bud (sir Budwieser) used to accompany me on rides also. He never tired, even when I was exhausted. One stretch of hillside trail droped about 40 ft to a lake and turned right at the waters edge. Bud bieng a Lab never made the turn and always ran strait into the water. Cherrish the memories.

I have been in a very similar situation for about two years. Last summer, my 12 year old Great Dane/Yellow Lab mix didn't move for about a week. We got her to the vet, and they said she must have hurt herself when she ran into the fence.

She has since got better, but is now growing large bumps, which we suspect to be cancer of some sort.