Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fast Holster and Blue Finish

p7fl

Most of my pistol looks like they have been dragged behind a truck. The ones I compete with look like a truck then backed up over them.

Just got a brand new STI Legacy in 9mm for Steel etc.

The blueing is very nice. I've been happy with my Comp Tac holsters for my single stack guns but I would like to not "kydex" this blue finish.

Any suggestions for a fast holster that won't scratch up the finish. At least I can then have one decent looking gun.

TIA

jon

Keeping the blue on your pistol is not compatible with kydex holsters if you shoot much at all...Blue is a rather fragile finish for the amount of drawing from the holster that goes on in this sport...Hard chrome is better but not the end all either...good luck in your search.

I wore the blue completely off of the right side of the slide flat on my Baer from my draw stroke out of Kydex. I had Virgil Tripp hard chrome plate it in bead blast satin finish and proceeded to mark the same spot on the slide. Yes, the Kydex holster with the help of the grit from shooting and shooting ranges made streak marks in the hard chrome. The good news is that I found that I could buff out those marks with a Dremel 320 grit finishing buff. You do have to buff all of the slide flats so that they match, but it's not hard. Just go ahead and get it a hard chrome or Ion bond finish for it. Blue is so last century. :D

ehobbyland_2007_57149085.gif

Edited by Steve J

I wore the blue completely off of the right side of the slide flat on my Baer from my draw stroke out of Kydex. I had Virgil Tripp hard chrome plate it in bead blast satin finish and proceeded to mark the same spot on the slide. Yes, the Kydex holster with the help of the grit from shooting and shooting ranges made streak marks in the hard chrome. The good news is that I found that I could buff out those marks with a Dremel 320 grit finishing buff. You do have to buff all of the slide flats so that they match, but it's not hard. Just go ahead and get it a hard chrome or Ion bond finish for it. Blue is so last century. :D

ehobbyland_2007_57149085.gif

Blue might be So Last Century, but some of us think that Nothing looks better than a well done two tone pistol, and after all, it is a tool and a few tool marks just enhance its appeal for those that understand how they got there. :)

I picked up the Legacy this morning from Derek at Millennium. Added some oil and headed for a test run.

It came with one mag.

The 4 Tripp 10 rounders ran flawlessly with CCI Blazer and some WWB.

It was only a 100 rounds but a very positive start when every thing runs as it should.

Yup, the Safariland 567 looks worth trying.

Maybe I will own one gun that doesn’t look like I found it in the trash.

:cheers:

I am going to order Comp tac single stack mag holders like the ones I use for Single Stack. In theory the same ones should fit a 45 or 9, but the 9 Tripp mags seem very loose in the ones set for 45s.

Yup, the Safariland 567 looks worth trying.

Maybe I will own one gun that doesn’t look like I found it in the trash.

:cheers:

I am going to order Comp tac single stack mag holders like the ones I use for Single Stack. In theory the same ones should fit a 45 or 9, but the 9 Tripp mags seem very loose in the ones set for 45s.

While I like the Safariland 568 I have (my Single Stack rig) it did wear some rather distinct lines down the slide of my Trojan and it did so quickly. Very fast for a SS rig, and comfy, but it's going to hurt the finish on your gun, no doubt.

All 1911 magazines are the same width regardless of caliber. (ETA:) That is they are the same general width. Tolerances vary some from magazine to magazine. I have a mess of old Colt .45 8-rounders. Some are decidedly loose in my carriers that are just snug with my newer .45 Power Mags.

Comp-Tac is the best. It's all I'll use.

Edited by Steve J

Brownells carries a Helwig 1911 holster that is Kydex with a full suede lining. I used one for years when I shot IDPA it did not wear the slide. I sprayed the lining with pure silicone once every six months or so. It is completely adjustable for cant and is IDPA approved so it will be legal for SS.

I've been having a really hard time with the decision to hard chrome my primary competition gun. I love the gun (a.k.a. Larry). I will never sell him. In fact, I don't let anyone shoot him (except at the chrono and I give them a hard time about it). I don't even like to let people handle him in the safe area. Everything I own has price on it, including my kids. But that particular 1911 will go to the grave with me.

He's a premier II, blue and WORN OUT. I love how he looks!! The only problem is he's starting to rust which causes me great mental anguish. I don't know what to do. I have a dehumidifier going 24/7 right next to his bedroom--my liberty safe. I check on him frequently. I give him fresh oil and rub it on very sexy.

It's like stretch marks on your wife or girlfriend. Don't worry about! Just bend her over from time to time and show her how much you love her.

You can't be concerned about holster wear and how the gun looks at the same time. Good luck.

"All 1911 magazines are the same width regardless of caliber. (ETA:) That is they are the same general width. Tolerances vary some from magazine to magazine. I have a mess of old Colt .45 8-rounders. Some are decidedly loose in my carriers that are just snug with my newer .45 Power Mags.

Comp-Tac is the best. It's all I'll use."

Is it worth the $150. to get mag holders that just fit the 9mm? :huh:

I am getting the message:

There is no pretty answer, either it is for competing or a safe queen. I am not a safe queen shooter, everything gets used hard.

In a week or two I will stop fondling this Legacy and choose Kydex. :rolleyes:

Hello: That a boy! Since you are going to use Kydex then buy a Comp-Tac belt holster and Uncle Mikes double mag holders. After the pistol is all scratched up then have it Ion Bonded or hard chromed or just leave it nasty :cheers: Thanks, Eric

you have two options really. A) leave it in the safe to show your non-uspsa buddys and watch them go oooh ahhh, then show your uspsa buddies the blued gun that looks like you found it in the trash from all the shooting and watch them go ohhh ahhh. B) shoot the holly living snot out of the gun, that was what it was designed for.

Nice gun either way :cheers:

"All 1911 magazines are the same width regardless of caliber. (ETA:) That is they are the same general width. Tolerances vary some from magazine to magazine. I have a mess of old Colt .45 8-rounders. Some are decidedly loose in my carriers that are just snug with my newer .45 Power Mags.

Comp-Tac is the best. It's all I'll use."

Is it worth the $150. to get mag holders that just fit the 9mm? :huh:

Absolutely, not. You're only going to shoot one caliber at a time probably. Stick that allen wrench that comes with the gear in and give it a quarter turn. It shouldn't take any more than that.

Edited by Steve J

My last gun from Benny has a hard chrome frame with a ionbond slide. Its still too soon to tell but I think that gun will wear a hole in a kydex holster without getting a mark.----------Larry

It appears to me, ya'll are starting to have a little "cult" thing going in the Corpus area!! Just remember, we're all Texans here. Even if I'm East Texas White trash right now. I may have to make a little trip down there soon to meet up with all of you BE members. Lets see:

Benny

Merlin

Aircooled

Larry

and I'm sure the list goes on and on

My last gun from Benny has a hard chrome frame with a ionbond slide. Its still too soon to tell but I think that gun will wear a hole in a kydex holster without getting a mark.----------Larry

Larry, that gun is "dead sexy"! I bet it don't sit in the safe wondering where all his buddys go every weekend :roflol:

I feel dirty after reading this....

I've been having a really hard time with the decision to hard chrome my primary competition gun. I love the gun (a.k.a. Larry). I will never sell him. In fact, I don't let anyone shoot him (except at the chrono and I give them a hard time about it). I don't even like to let people handle him in the safe area. Everything I own has price on it, including my kids. But that particular 1911 will go to the grave with me.

He's a premier II, blue and WORN OUT. I love how he looks!! The only problem is he's starting to rust which causes me great mental anguish. I don't know what to do. I have a dehumidifier going 24/7 right next to his bedroom--my liberty safe. I check on him frequently. I give him fresh oil and rub it on very sexy.

It's like stretch marks on your wife or girlfriend. Don't worry about! Just bend her over from time to time and show her how much you love her.

You can't be concerned about holster wear and how the gun looks at the same time. Good luck.

Hello: That pistol of Larry's is even nicer in person, can't say that for Larry though. Kidding Larry(but you know that). Larry will be shooting his SS tomorrow I bet. I think the Ion Bond is great but I like the look of chrome as well. The two tone may be the way to go in a Kydex holster. The chrome shines up at the wear points from the holster. I saw Kurt Miller's Fat Free pistol at Benny's and it is very shinny after a millon draws. Then again you could leave it blued and rusty like my Spartan :cheers: Thanks, Eric