Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Stipple and Contour

G-ManBart

I've been playing with making grips for my single stacks out of polymer sheets. There are different types of polymers and different melting points. I bought two different ones to work with to see if the higher or lower melting point works best. The nice thing about the polymer sheets is that I have lots of excess to practice with and try different things. The sheets would probably make 50+ sets of grips and cost, IIRC about $35.

One of the things I have found is that my results can be very different based on how smooth the tip is. I am using a pretty big tip with a flat bottom. I took the Tip and polished it on the buffing wheel that I use to polish my mags. The plastic does not stick at all to the highly polished tip, at least on one of the polymers and the temperture I am using.

Next thing I want to try is adjusting the tempertue of the tip.

I have made one set of grips, the stippling is not as uniform as I would like. I plan to try and make another set for my other single this weekend. I'll try to take some pictures this weekend.

Interesting idea!

I hadn't thought much about it, but I can vary the dimples based upon how hard I press and how long I hold it there. So, when I need to make a smaller dimple to fit a space I'll use less pressure and less time and if I need to fill a bigger space I'll push a little harder, hold it a little longer and even slightly move the tip sideways. I think that's very similar to altering the temp of the iron...at least functionally.

Can't wait to see the pics of your sheet grips!

Leave it to me to do it the hard way. I have been modifying tips to make different sizes.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still sporting G-Man stippled grips I ground on both my primary Open and Limited guns. They absolutely ROCK, and everyone that has handled them has loved them. I can do a pretty nice black grip but Bart is THE MAN with colored grips. I wouldn't do a sandpaper grip over these, I wouldn't even consider it.

Making Single Stack grips from scratch.

1. Get piece of polymer

2. Use existing grips to mark, then cut to size

3. Using a file and sanding shape to size

4. Drill holes for grip screws

5. Stipple

This set I made fairly thick to feel more like my STI Eagle and Open Gun. I think this pair are a bit too thick and so I will make another set a bit thinner. There are also some subtleties to shape, at least with thick grips, that can affect the idex.

It seems to be a pretty quick learning curve and the fact that your texture can cover a lot of things that were not perfect make it easy to fix most mistakes. Spent way too much time on the screw holes at first, with the grip bushings and screws, each hole in the grip has four different diameters at different depths. However, I think you could do just one diameter and when you stipple just melt the plastic to give the grip screws a ledge and then touch that up with a drill to make the surface flat for the grip screw.

Pictured is a Colt Gunsite CCO pistol and therefore are Officers Model length grips.

Edit to add detail

post-3253-1242182908_thumb.jpg

post-3253-1242182932_thumb.jpg

post-3253-1242182973_thumb.jpg

Edited by CenTX

• 2 months later...

Gman, these were great instructions.

I was shopping around the bargain bin today and found 2 large and 1 medium S&W M&P grips for $0.50 each. Thought I would try your instructions and they worked great.

post-1125-1248487191_thumb.jpg

The grip is the Large S&W grip with the top tang cut off, and some minor reshaping. Thus making it a medium-large grip, for those who like the tweener sizes.

I'm shooting in L-10 right now and use the same gun in production. Will this Mod bump out of production or L-10. Not to worried about production though.

Edited by ahudson

• 7 months later...

I'm shooting in L-10 right now and use the same gun in production. Will this Mod bump out of production or L-10. Not to worried about production though.

I have the same question. Will doing this bump me out of Production?

I have the same question. Will doing this bump me out of Production?

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/

Page 82, Appendix E4 of the 2008 rule book shows where you can stipple. Keep it within the confines of the delineated area and you're fine.

don't want to steal anyones thunder, but wanted to mention-if you are doing an S-I grip and want to relieve some area on the way to the mag release, be gentle or you will find the metal grip liner real quick, that is a bit of a thin area-

Jason

Jason,

I ran into that on one or two grips, but most it doesn't seem to be a problem. It even seems to vary a little based upon which color grip...which doesn't make sense unless they make them with different molds....could have just been a coincidence, but purple was the thinnest there. The closer to the side, the more likely you are to run into the liner, but extending the undercut up and around to the mag release on both sides I remove quite a bit and it's always been fine. I actually blend it right up to less than .100" from the hole on either side. R,

• 5 months later...

Got a buddy with a Glock that was talking about wanting to do this, has anyone tried this procedure on a tupperware gun?

I have seen it done on Glocks, XDs, M&Ps and anything with plastic grips.

Joe W.

Good deal, I thik I even have some stuff lying around I could practice on, now to figure out what to charge him if I decide to do it.

Picked up a wood burning hobby kit from Harbor Freight for around $10. Did all my practicing and now I am ready to get going. I read the rules for Production, and my understanding of them is that I can stipple anywhere inside the boundaries that they outline. What I do inside those areas is all good. Am I readying this correctly?

• 1 month later...

Picked up a wood burning hobby kit from Harbor Freight for around $10. Did all my practicing and now I am ready to get going. I read the rules for Production, and my understanding of them is that I can stipple anywhere inside the boundaries that they outline. What I do inside those areas is all good. Am I readying this correctly?

Probably a better question for the rules forum ;)