Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Stipple and Contour

G-ManBart

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Shannahan of Advanced Performance Shooting, also a vendor here, will do anything you want & will personally speak with you so you get exactly what you want, no one better in customer service.

Broke out the dremel and went to work today.

Used Freedoms thread insight along with other tips...

Used a dremel to take away most of the checking as I have girly hands and needed to reduce as much as possible...

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

022.jpg

I broke out the dremel and took Freedoms insight along with other threads and went to work...

Today's task:

Stipple and under cut...

Used dremel to take of most of original checkering. Kept front strap.

Edited by jswitt99

• 2 months later...

So I found this thread while debating on buying a reduced grip or doing it my self. Thanks to you G-Man I did it myself.

Here are some pictures, I'm in my Chem 106 clas right now but later tonight I'll add some more photos.

I followed your direction and removed a large amount from around the front and sides of the grip. I also under cut the trigger guard and smoothed the edges.

20120828_192656.jpg

Had to pause to get a drink.

20120828_194721.jpg

One side done working around the front now. I left the under cut arear and a little below it unstippled because I fell that with that area smooth I get a better draw. I did the same think with my M&p when i was shooting production.

20120828_202527.jpg

The last bit of stippling is fastest part. Every time i stipple something it always seems to go so slow until the last little bit.

20120828_212150.jpg

Done.... Finally

20120828_212300.jpg

I really really like the size of the grip now. Before it was so large that I never really felt like I had a good purchase on the gun.

Thank you so much G-man for the write-up.

Edited by Gimpy_ak

dude, take your grip off the gun before you stipple it.

Why? Because I couldn't take the grip off my M&p when I did it.

I wanted to make sure the mag well would fit plus I was doing draws trying to decide how aggressive to go with the stippling and where I didn't want to stipple.

Edited by Gimpy_ak

dude, take your grip off the gun before you stipple it.

Why? Because I couldn't take the grip off my M&p when I did it.

I wanted to make sure the mag well would fit plus I was doing draws trying to decide how aggressive to go with the stippling and where I didn't want to stipple.

because the plastic of the grip is under tension when installed, and the wrong application of heat in an area where youve sanded down the original thickness can cause the plastic to bend and warp.

And stippling is probably more for recoil control while shooting than for draws. In fact, a rough textured gun can impede your draws more than help.

• 10 months later...

The information on this thread is awesome, but it's mostly for 2011's.

I have a G34 that I'm setting up for Limited/L10. I'd like to grind off the finger ridges, and then stipple that area. Will I have a problem in that area?

Edited by atbarr

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...