Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Stipple and Contour

G-ManBart

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, from Golf Equipment Afficianado, to Shooting equipment Afficianado, eudaman! ;-)

Seriously, this got me really tempted to do my SVI grip, what sort of tip do you use to get the bigger dimples like that? Sears?

Oh no....my GEA history has finally caught up with me!!! The iron I'm using is a cheapie Weller that I bought at Lowes. I took one of the tips that was included and rounded off the end (.160" shaft diameter). The harder you press, the deeper and wider the dimples get...you'll figure that out within a few minutes. It's definitely not all that hard...give it a try! R,

I want to see that purple grip

The little girl who owns it only had to pout a little bit to weasel me out of it...Im such a sucker for puppy eyes :closedeyes:

Jim :roflol:

I'm working on the purple grip now. I did the mainspring housing and it looks awesome...no discoloration and almost looks better after stippling!

I want to see that purple grip

The little girl who owns it only had to pout a little bit to weasel me out of it...Im such a sucker for puppy eyes :closedeyes:

Jim :roflol:

Ask and you shall receive....think it turned out pretty spiffy!

post-10163-1215733942.jpg

turns out nice Bart!

is that for a female shooter?

It sure is...nice young lady in our club who managed to trick Jim into trading!

When she stuck out her lip..and had puppy eyes :rolleyes:

Who on earth could refuse that :mellow:

And I happen to be quite fond of her and her Father.

Cant wait to see her smile :D

Jim

• 6 months later...
Are these the STI grips that are getting reworked with the stippling? I like the look of these that have been done.

Yeah, I sorta experimented on enough of them until I had it pretty well down, then did the write up and added pics. It's pretty much a 1, 2, 3 sorta guide on how to trim, shape and stipple a grip. A lot of folks find that as they go along it's easy to make slight changes so the grip feels just right compared with generic grips. R,

G-ManBart

Thanks for posting and bumping up to the top. This is the first I see of this post and really appreciate you sharing. I will be building a STI limited gun a little later on this year and was looking for someone to do this work on my grip. Now I will be able to do it myself.

Thanks,

they look cool, but is it better than grip tape? It's still plastic that gets slippery.

I'd say that they're generally not quite as grippy as most grip tape, but I guess that would depend on the grit on the tape. Also, if you use a smaller dimple size it will increase the total number of ridges which are what give you traction. With the right technique you can get pretty sharp raised edges around each dimple and they're probably even sharper than grip tape, but not as numerous. Since going to this sort of grip I can't ever recall the gun slipping in my hands and that includes during the downpours we had in Tulsa for Nationals....seem to be plenty grippy for me.

G-ManBart, Great info. I use a 15 watt iron I got at Radio Shack, the nice thing about it is that they sell extra tips so you can have several customized with different diameters for different sized dimples. I want to say the iron itself only cost me about $6 and the extra tips are really cheap.

Joe W.

• 2 months later...
G-Man,

Exactly the instruction I was looking for. Just hoping I don't mess up my SV now.

:D

Pezco

Cool....take your time and you'll be fine. If you have any questions, e-mail me bartgolfs@yahoo.com and I'll send you my phone number and we can discuss it. R,

I've been playing with making grips for my single stacks out of polymer sheets. There are different types of polymers and different melting points. I bought two different ones to work with to see if the higher or lower melting point works best. The nice thing about the polymer sheets is that I have lots of excess to practice with and try different things. The sheets would probably make 50+ sets of grips and cost, IIRC about $35.

One of the things I have found is that my results can be very different based on how smooth the tip is. I am using a pretty big tip with a flat bottom. I took the Tip and polished it on the buffing wheel that I use to polish my mags. The plastic does not stick at all to the highly polished tip, at least on one of the polymers and the temperture I am using.

Next thing I want to try is adjusting the tempertue of the tip.

I have made one set of grips, the stippling is not as uniform as I would like. I plan to try and make another set for my other single this weekend. I'll try to take some pictures this weekend.

I've been playing with making grips for my single stacks out of polymer sheets. There are different types of polymers and different melting points. I bought two different ones to work with to see if the higher or lower melting point works best. The nice thing about the polymer sheets is that I have lots of excess to practice with and try different things. The sheets would probably make 50+ sets of grips and cost, IIRC about $35.

One of the things I have found is that my results can be very different based on how smooth the tip is. I am using a pretty big tip with a flat bottom. I took the Tip and polished it on the buffing wheel that I use to polish my mags. The plastic does not stick at all to the highly polished tip, at least on one of the polymers and the temperture I am using.

Next thing I want to try is adjusting the tempertue of the tip.

I have made one set of grips, the stippling is not as uniform as I would like. I plan to try and make another set for my other single this weekend. I'll try to take some pictures this weekend.

Interesting idea!

I hadn't thought much about it, but I can vary the dimples based upon how hard I press and how long I hold it there. So, when I need to make a smaller dimple to fit a space I'll use less pressure and less time and if I need to fill a bigger space I'll push a little harder, hold it a little longer and even slightly move the tip sideways. I think that's very similar to altering the temp of the iron...at least functionally.

Can't wait to see the pics of your sheet grips!