Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Stipple and Contour

G-ManBart

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello long time lurker, new member here. :)

Got my first 2011 a month ago, an STI apeiro and was looking to improve how the grip handles. This is definitely what I was looking for! DIY 2011 grip mods.

Thanks GMAN!

Welcome! Glad it's helpful...just promise to ignore it if I say something that annoys you later :lol:

Went to Interstate plastics in Austin, TX., most reasonably big cities should have a plastic wholesaler. They had all sorts of smaller pieces, did not have to buy a big sheet. I bought two different types with a low and a higher melting point. You could also find a supplier on the web.

• 2 months later...

Just did my first set of grips last night. Thanks G-man for the excellent instructions.

Looks good...nice blaster Derek built for you! He's going to have to make me a 6" Limited gun one of these days! R,

Just did my first set of grips last night. Thanks G-man for the excellent instructions.

Looks good...nice blaster Derek built for you! He's going to have to make me a 6" Limited gun one of these days! R,

Thanks G-man but It's only half Derek's. I bought the top end off a guy who had a dual top end gun built 9mm and 40. He decided he didn't want the 9mm top end anymore so I had it fitted to a frame by Greg Copeland who did an excellent job. Sweet shooting gun..... :cheers:

Edited by latewatch

Thanks G-man but It's only half Derek's. I bought the top end off a guy who had a dual top end gun built 9mm and 40. He decided he didn't want the 9mm top end anymore so I had it fitted to a frame by Greg Copeland who did an excellent job. Sweet shooting gun..... :cheers:

Says you! LOL I want to shoot it...

• 4 months later...

So I took the gun apart last night to prep the grip, having no plans to do the job.

This is how it turned out, not bad for the first time.

Thanks to G-Man for the detailed instructions.

post-26626-0-08523000-1311950286_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

Great post, I realize it has been here a while but I have a question.

Before I do my first stipple job on my STI - I need the grip as large as possible.

So WOULD I want to leave the original checkering material on the grip?

Or does removing the checkering prevent a particular problem?

Thanks,

Michael

• 1 month later...

Silver Star: Yes, you can leave the checkering on the grip. When you stipple it, the plastic will flow in the recesses.

I prefer a larger stipple, makes for a very aggressive texture. I also like a pattern, although it takes much longer.

post-8536-0-90770600-1326808031_thumb.jp

• 3 months later...

If I get a chance this weekend I will have to post some photos of mine. Used a slightly blunted 15 watt iron and got nice small dimples with just the right amount of bite for my grip.

Joe W.

Holy fudgesticks!! October of 2010??? Where the heck has all this time gone? This weekend I WILL make the time to shoot photos of how mine turned out. I didn't resize the grips any or do any undercuts, just added texture with an iron and have been shooting it for years now and love it!

Joe W.

• 1 month later...