Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drop-Step and Push

As most of you know, I'm a big proponent of the drop-step and push method of exiting a position. I've seen a lot of videos where people are emulating it but it really isn't doing much for them so I'd like to make a short How-To of it.

Is there any specific positions or circumstances you guys would like illustrated? Such as with or without reload, terrain, etc.

I'm sure I'm a little off here (don't we all know that) but what I would like to improve on is starting in a box with both feet flat, and then moving FORWARD quickly. I always tell myself to try and "explode" out of the box, but starting out flat-footed isn't easy.

Any links to discussions about what the drop-step and push method is?

Would it work when exiting a barricade/box combo and/or shooting from the end of a wall where there was a fault line (making you shoot from a lean)?

Here is the link to a preliminary video for now. I want to get a microphone so I can properly narrate this (and others to come), but until I can get around to it, here is something to glance at. I'm actually running out right now, but will be back later to answer any questions.

And Bill - were you drunk when you posted that? ;)

I like that... a lot! I'm uh, not as accurate a shooter as I will be and there have been times when I have engaged my last target as I am leaning out of the box only to realize I missed my shot. Stopping the lean and getting back for the makeup shot is ugly. I don't see that happening with this technique.

I know, I know, don't miss the shot!

Seriously, thanks for posting. Think I'll go do some jump squats now. :rolleyes:

No problem guys. I knew I was gonna get comments about the shoes haha. They are called Vibram Five Fingers (link). I use these for pretty much any athletic activity now-a-days because it essentially is the same as being bare foot. Expect to see me in these at matches at some point.

You're looking lean and mean Jake. :)

As to those uhm.... shoes, I'd think seriously about keeping them off the range. I don't think they offer enough protection from all the stuff you encounter at the range.

Thanks for the vid... I needed to see that.

Thanks for the video - and for the link to the fancy shoes! I saw a person running in those (Vancouver half marathon!) I can't imagine running 13.1 miles in them. I suppose they work well on grass and sandy bays, but what about gravel or rocky bays - I'd imagine that would hurt!

~Mitch

You're looking lean and mean Jake.

Thanks bro. ;) Been workin' hard at it.

As to those uhm.... shoes, I'd think seriously about keeping them off the range. I don't think they offer enough protection from all the stuff you encounter at the range.

They'll be just fine on the range. I have better acceleration with these than I do with cleats.

Thanks for the video - and for the link to the fancy shoes! I saw a person running in those (Vancouver half marathon!) I can't imagine running 13.1 miles in them. I suppose they work well on grass and sandy bays, but what about gravel or rocky bays - I'd imagine that would hurt!

The great thing about these shoes is when you run in them it's just like you are running barefoot. Anatomically speaking, the modern way of running (heel - toe) is not how we were designed to run. Here is a good place to start reading about it. Trying to run a half the first time out with these shoes and that form would be a death sentence, but once your body is accustomed to the feel and style, it really doesn't hurt at all (from what I hear at least, I have other problems that are preventing me from running any considerable distance).

The other thing I love about these shoes is that by wearing them and exercising in them, it builds foot strength the way the feet were meant to be used, ie. you use your toes much more and as they were designed to be used.

Will you guys stop talking about the shoes !!!

We like the video, thanks. See Jake is going to tell us how great they are and how much

time he cut off this and that and then someone else will get a pair and tell us the same thing

, and then you know whats next ???

The foot gloves are the next hot IPSC footwear :surprise: and we are all wearing them :o

You know how we are !!! :roflol::roflol: