Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VV Powders

VV Powder has never been easy to find but it's been getting worse lately. Many (like N320) seem to be permanently out of stock and even when they can be found, they tend to run significantly higher than other powders. I have noticed several posts recently on specific VV powders but was thinking it might be worth compiling a list of replacements for the more common VV pistol powders (e.g. N320, N350, 3N37, 3N38).

If you can provide the VV powder you used to use and the powder you replaced it with, while still getting good results, I'll see if I can compile a list here. Thanks in advance.

Started with N320 for 9mm minor/Production. Switched to Solo 1000 at the recommendation of a fellow Production shooter.

I load a little heavier and longer than the old table that I had as a reference. Chrono's ~130-ish out of an XD9 - 4". This load pushes the gun back into my hand more (muzzle flip less noticeable). Solo 1000 is single base and seems relatively clean. Still need to determine how it behaves in temperature extremes.

Solo 1000 runs ~$90-95 locally for 8#. When/if I can find N320, it's ~$100/4#.

For now, I've decided not to bother working up an N320 load.

You can get VV direct from Kaltron-Pettibone.

I just ordered 8 lbs of N320 from them.

Their prices seem extremely high though. What are their shipping charges like?

Whatever UPS ground is + hazmat.

Everything is expensive, there is no letup in sight. Brass, bullets, primers, powder.

2 years ago I could get a 4lb jug of N320 for $72, now its $100. 1k primers were $13, now they are $25. Gas has doubled. I could get 1k 9mm 124g FMJ for about $65 a thousand, now they are $94.

I expect it will get worse.

You may want to take a look at the Ramshot powders. I got a real deal on Silhouette to use in place of N340. I found that Sil burned slower than 340 even though the Ramshot burn rate chart said faster. Ramshot Competition is listed as close to N320. Do a search. I am pretty sure that this has been discussed in the past.

Later,

Chuck

FWIW, I just found some N-330 (getting impossible to find) HERE. This was the 1st time I'd dealt with this company but found the prices acceptable and they were nice and personable on the phone...shipped same day. If an item shows out-of-stock in their on-line inventory, follow up with a phone call. I found they have a new retail location and their old site is now an unmanned warehouse. They will manually check stock status and return your call promptly or, at least they did mine.

I buy from them directly they are about 30 miles from me. great service and have always had VV in stock with good prices.

I'd not heard of them until I went on an all-out quest for N330. I have to say, I was very impressed with them...its a bit curious why they are not better known among the on-line reloading community. Both of the persons I spoke with could not have been more helpful.

That's easy enough.

In 38 Super where I was using N105, I now use 4756.

In 40 S&W where I was using N320 I now use Titegroup.

Tls

+1 on Titegroup as a N320 substitute. 4.7 grains with a 180 Montana Gold is working great for me in 40 S&W.

That's easy enough.

Tls

+1 on Titegroup as a N320 substitute. 4.7 grains with a 180 Montana Gold is working great for me in 40 S&W.

baerburtchell - I am close to switching to Titegroup over N320 and now load with 4.7 gr with 180 gr FMJ and OAL of 1.175. What is your OAL with that load of Titegroup and what is your power factor? Thanks

That's easy enough.

Tls

baerburtchell - I am close to switching to Titegroup over N320 and now load with 4.7 gr with 180 gr FMJ and OAL of 1.175. What is your OAL with that load of Titegroup and what is your power factor? Thanks

This is with an 5" STI. 4.7 gr. Titegroup , 180 grain Montana Gold JHP loaded to 1.180. PF of 172. Outside temp. was in the mid 80's when I tested.

What I like is that it has also been amazingly clean. Not like N320, but pretty doggone close.

Edited for more info:

Mixed range brass, Federal primers. Loaded on a Dillon 550 with a EGW undersize sizing die, Redding competition seating die and a regular Dillon taper crimp die.

Edited by baerburtchell

That's easy enough.

Tls

+2 for me as well. That is my identical load that I run right now. I can run 4.6 but choose to run 4.7.

I do also like International Clays as well however. For .40 cal.

In answer to the original post, I have and do sometimes use 3n37, I like it. But it seems to very inconsistent over the crono. A great day and some bad days.

Have a good one :cheers:

Edited by Turbo23

That's easy enough.

Tls

This is with an 5" STI. 4.7 gr. Titegroup , 180 grain Montana Gold JHP loaded to 1.180. PF of 172. Outside temp. was in the mid 80's when I tested.

What I like is that it has also been amazingly clean. Not like N320, but pretty doggone close.

Edited for more info:

Mixed range brass, Federal primers. Loaded on a Dillon 550 with a EGW undersize sizing die, Redding competition seating die and a regular Dillon taper crimp die.

Man...... I did not read this far down on my other post. But you and me have the same results... To the "T"..

Same set up too. But a 650 instead.

Kinda COOL

That's easy enough.

Tls

Edited for more info:

Man...... I did not read this far down on my other post. But you and me have the same results... To the "T"..

Same set up too. But a 650 instead.

Kinda COOL

:cheers:

I had planned on updating my original post as information came in, but I don't seem to be able to do this. So here is a summary:

1. It seems that some people can still find VV powders by mail order. Expensive, but available.

2. So far, the most often noted VV powder is N320 with TG being the most often noted replacement.

3. The rest of the recommendations are more scattered.

I'm going to take what I have so far and look at the recommended loads and burn chart and see how the correlate. Thanks and any more information you have would be enlightening.

I am searching for a replacement for VV N-110 (other than 296/H-110) due to the current prices. Anybody know of one?

What are you loading with N110?

Back in the day, I used H110 and WW296 for magnum handgun loads.

At that time Blue Dot or 2400 was a viable substitute.

Tony

Edited by 38superman