Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What about Beta mags Junk or worth looking into?

Alaskapopo

Mine works fine as long as I remember the squirt some of the supplied graphite in it periodicaly. It gets used for any stage of 26 rounds or more. Just load 10 to 15 more than you think you need and drive on. The only drawback from my perspective is that you can't use a magwell on a rifle that you plan on using a beta with. Which sometimes bites you if you get in a situation like a standard where a reload is required.

Peter Adams

Fy-39604

Edited by caspian guy

Mine works fine as long as I remember the squirt some of the supplied graphite in it periodicaly. It gets used for any stage of 26 rounds or more. Just load 10 to 15 more than you think you need and drive on. The only drawback from my perspective is that you can't use a magwell on a rifle that you plan on using a beta with. Which sometimes bites you if you get in a situation like a standard where a reload is required.

Peter Adams

Fy-39604

Peter pretty much hits the nail on the head.

As far as reliability, mine works great. I believe some of the reliability questions arose from the first units they marketed and from folks not following the maintenance directions.

Mine has been working fine, but I try to limit it's use. I only use it on stages with 40 - 50 or more round count. Although it works fine so far, I don't really trust it. It seems to be fairly cheaply made and not too durable. The main body and feed lips are plastic. Not a good polymer like PMags, but (seemingly) just plastic. I have the feeling that it wouldn't last long in a combat situation.

It just cost so darn much, I don't want to wear it out, or damage it, and have it puke in the middle of a match. On most hosing stages I use a DPMS 45 round mag, or a Tripp 52. On stages where I'll need to go prone I usually use 2 30 rounders (P Mags) clamped together. But, when I need the Beta C, it's worth it's weight in gold!

Like any other piece of equipment it has to be maintained and used as directed. Mine has failed when used w/o proper lubrication. And if you have a malfunction with one you tend to set it down and not just hit the mag release button and let it hit the ground. so you will lose a bit of time on a reload if you need to, I have noticed less Beta use by better shooters now that good reliable 40+ round mags are available and easy to find.

personally, i would say spend the money on a few 45 round mags than on one Beta.

Trapr

I think it is an essential piece of kit. I've had mine for awhile and it has been 100%. I drench it in graphite (a squirt after loading 5-10 rounds... as in load 5 rounds, add graphite, load 5 rounds, add graphite...) and I've changed the tower out a couple of times (as soon as it looks like the lips are spreading or getting weak). YMMV.

I run a Redi Mag on my guns which ends up ruling out the beta mag. However I do have a couple of the Tripp Research 42 and 52 round mags. I have found that there has been absolutely no stages where I felt at a disadvantage not having a beta and quite a few instances where I see a distinct advantage. The primary one being that if you do have a malfunction (mag induced or gun related) your immediate action drill remains the same as with any other mag setup.

As Trap noted above if you have a malf with the Beta you will inevitably lose some time trying to handle the mag.

ymmv

One of the places that I like the Beta over the 40-50 round mags is that I have a problem getting down prone with the longer mags. Particularly if I have a port or something to shoot through that constrains my position (by height). The Beta seems to work better in this circumstance since it is about the same height as a 30.

Just something to think about...

Peter Adams

FY-39604

You do not need to have a Beta to be competitive in this game. I have one and occassionally use it but not that often. I usually use my DPMS 45 rounder instead.

It has been reliable but it did have a malfunction when being used by an amigo duirng the 2007 SMM3G.

it is very funny to watch a Beta user have a malfunction as they gingerly place the Beta on the ground before trying to madly clear the malfunction.

I have played around with mine a few times for fun during practice and the only time I needed to use it for a match was the roller coaster stage at the 2007 SMM3G. I never had a problem with it but I always use the provided lube. It proved itself to be worth every penny when I didn't have to do a reload on that stage.

I had 3 different feed towers crack on mine, I don't trust them.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. So far ok, but I limit it's use to where I really need the round count, which isn't very often.

• 1 month later...