Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

open class budget build?

colbyjack

One of the guys I shoot with just bought a used Bedell open gun on this forum for an AMAZING price. I wish I saw it before him. If you have the money it might be worth posting in the classified that you are looking to buy. I'm sure someone on here has a perfect open gun that is a safe queen. I know I have several limited guns that are safe queens.

Pete

Budget and Open in the same sentence???BTW I'd love to have an open CZ!

Linky to SP-01

Thanks for that link ChuckS.It looks like CZ is getting serious about having custom shop. This is very interesting.I wonder how hammered on a 75B could be before its no longer a candidate for a base 9 Major gun.I've got one that I gave a whopping $200 for,so I've probably got a little room for some mods...lol.I might just have to give those folks a call.

I don't know about Major 9 but as an open steel gun that would be the heat.

i think im going to search for a used one, and take my time.

in the mean time im going to build a limited 10 gun. i ordered a caspain race ready tactical frame checker front strap today for that build. ill have to start another thread for that.

thanks for all the info its greatly appreciated. now if i can just get out of "C" class and make a "B" for IPSC.... -chris

Every now and again you can find deals on GunBroker too. A couple of months ago there was a .38 Super Open gun built on a Para frame with several mags that went for a little over $900.

I bought that gun. It is a P14 frame converted to 38S, SA Slide, comp barrel, aimpoint comp in a Weigand mount, 5 mags, 200 pcs new brass and dies! All for 900 bucks. Yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus. I won my class with it last weekend. Keep watcging gunbroker. They do show up from time to time. Picked up a Para p16-40 limited this week for $650. Another 600 bucks or so added in parts will put you in open class for 12-1300 dollars.

You can almost certainly get a used caspian framed open gun and 3-4 mags for that kind of money.

+1

The non-STI/SV guns seem to go for much less.

My first open gun was a used Para .38Super with a dot, several mags, a bunch of new brass, and some other stuff for $1100, I think. Already had a holster - just had to adjust the Safariland 011.

You could build one on a G17 for about $700, simply add a KKM barrel, comp of choice and a Docter sight and mount - done. If you don't like it, sell the parts and your G17 is "unmolested". In my opinion the beauty of building on the Glock platform is you can run without a gunsmith, provided you go with a slide mounted optic.

jager

Just echoing a few others... you can definitely find deals online on STi framed open guns. It might take a month or two of looking, but many times you can pick one up like I did with mags, brass, dies, and rig for around the price you are looking for.

You just have to be a little patient.

I know for a fact their are some decent used guns.

I had one up for $1000 that I am pretty sure has a happy user. Just keep watching and something will pop up at times that suits your fancy.

i would go with a open glock

you dont have to go slide mounted optics to get reliability or gunsmith free use..

buy a carver C-more mount and have it modified to fit a J-point.

barrel, comp, magwell, mount and sight....get to shooting.

harmon

• 2 weeks later...

well this is a weird deal, wife dont want me to spend all the money. i got 1000 bucks to spend, and a guy that will build it for me for free, kinda like a sponser thing to get his name out.

heres where i messed up right out of the box. i bought a caspain race ready recon frame, single stack .45. i shoulda got hi-cap, but i want to build a open type gun using this frame. i know im screwed using 10 round mags. but this is more a fun gun and just to play with. i guess i could always get a hi-cap frame later. so i got a grand to play with, maybe 1200 im not sure if i can build it for that.

any ideas on what to do for a slide and barell/comp set im all ears and ill be searchng the forums too.

on the slide lighting does that make a huge difference? or is that only nessary if i shoot a lighter load. if i go with a caspain slide what options, say cocking serrations front and rear, do i need to flat top it, and if i go cmore i dont need sight cuts right?

my load i use now for my other .45's is 200 grain cast SWC with 4.3 gr clays 835 fps average. will i need a different load for a open gun to make the comp work? or is the comp more weight over the front type of deal?

sorry for all the questions ill be ordering parts in the next couple weeks. any ifo would be great thanks guys. -chris