Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting in the rain

RobMoore

In different sports, the contestants have ways of dealing with the rain.

Race car drivers, golfers, football players (World version and US), all have things to modify to deal with the conditions.

What do we as shooters do differently at a major match when it rains?

I ask because I shot my first major match Friday in a complete downpour. Mud everywhere, everything was soaked, including me (even though I had on a rain jacket). Fatigue set in quicker than normal.

I don't think I did anything different during the match than I do when its nice and sunny. I just did it wet. I didn't shoot as well as I hoped, and although I can't blame it all on the weather as there are at least three things I remember doing wrong that were independent of the wet conditions, I know there was a negative effect on me. Although I waterproofed all my gear, I didn't prepare myself any differently than I would have at a dry match either.

If you have a problem shooting in the rain, I really recommend practicing in it whenever possible...especially movement. You'll figure out exactly what you need to do to be most effective real fast.

I agree but there is one thing to remember and that's "don't sweat it, you're preshrunk anyway". :roflol:

I use a Gortex rain jacket, umbrella, and lots of dry towels. Just steal the ones from your house or/and your girlfriends. Keep the towels hung in the ribs of the umbrella to keep them dry. I learned that from 18 years of golf. Yes you will get wet while you shoot but you won't be miserable. That will be the rest of the pack that didn't plan.

One thing that I learned in the military. The 5 P's of life: Piss Poor Planning = Poor Performance. I live by that every day.... a true eye opener. :surprise:

Chris C.

One thing most people neglect badly in the rain is hydration. You still need to drink plenty of fluids even if the water you are standing in is chest deep. Nutrition is important, eat a little at a time, and eat lots of times. No matter what match I am at I have plenty of fluids and food with me on the range.

Jake brings up a very good point, you need to shoot in the rain to know what you can do in the rain, and just as importantly what you can't do in the rain. Find the slick spots on your equipment too, lots better to know ahead of time.

The only thing I do differently to go to a match where it will probably rain is take extra rain gear and clothes. If it is a big match dry socks at lunch help a lot, dry clothes and a dry set of raingear at lunch help even more.

Look at your clothing, there are a lot of technical fabrics out now that dry extremely quickly. Most of them seem to be golf related, the golf raingear and clothing is some of the best you can find for what we do. The golf clothing people understand how bad restricted movement really is.

Good advice.

I weatherproofed my bag more than I did myself. I ditched the normal range bag in favor of my old ALICE pack with the Willy-Pete bag inside and the poncho drapped over the outside. The only thing waterproof I had on was an old Gore-Tex that eventually soaked through and started to get a touch wet on the inside. Its nice to draw from (fairly stiff like my 5.11 vest), but it needs replaced with one that some dumb Marine hasn't put through a washer & dryer. Change of clothes and socks especially is also going on the packing list.

I brought food, but negelcted to even think about it till stage 9. The same went for the water. I do know better than that, but was too distracted by my discomfort.

Make sure that you will be able to see in the rain. I use glasses other than the ones I will shoot in for pasting and standing around. Coat the lenses with whatever you prefer to keep them from fogging up.

One thing I forgot to add about the umbrella is they attract women like crazy when it rains. :wub: And almost for sure it never gets laid down in the mud. Most are more than willing to hold it for you while you shoot.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

Jake brings up a very good point, you need to shoot in the rain to know what you can do in the rain, and just as importantly what you can't do in the rain. Find the slick spots on your equipment too, lots better to know ahead of time.

... If it is a big match dry socks at lunch help a lot, dry clothes and a dry set of raingear at lunch help even more.

Look at your clothing, there are a lot of technical fabrics out now that dry extremely quickly. ...

Absolutely correct. Nothing prepares you for shooting in the rain like shooting in the rain. We had two matches in monsoons last year. On the first, my brain wasn't in 'rain mode' and it really showed. On the second, there was definitely a sense of 'been here/done this' and I wasn't nearly as rattled by the downpour. Still wet, but much less distracted.

As per another post, poncho or even a garbage bag over the range bag is a big help. One less distraction if all your gear isn't unpleasantly soggy.

The 'dry sock' thing was passed to me by ex-infantry buddies. Dry socks make up for almost anything. There are Gore-Tex oversocks that are worth the $$.

For 'technical fabrics', check out mountaineering gear (REI, Sierra Trading Post, etc). The guys who trek the high county have gear that's lightweight, moves, breathes, and is durable over brush/gravel. I have a set of triple-point storm pants that I've worn all day without feeling clammy inside.

I like the suggestion about hanging towels inside the umbrella. Hadn't tried that but certainly will now!

most of dealing with rain is attitude..

most people don't stay out in the weather..and we are mostly taught to get out of it..so the idea of staying out in weather really beats on our attitudes..

when I was kid..I grew up in the pacific northwest..where for most of the time..you learned to play in the rain..because that's all it did...

go practice in it..go do stuff out in it..and get used to the feel..do fun stuff out in it like play with your kids, or the neighbor kids.go have squirt gun fights with friends in it..once its fun..its no big deal..

If you want to become adept at shooting in the rain just become a member of the Northwest Section and move to Washington State. Seriously, I shoot in the rain alot and I find that the most important thing is just keeping my hands warm. I don't mind a wet grip or soaking wet jacket but when my hands get too cold and wet I seem to lose all dexterity. In my opinion a good pair of gortex gloves for between stages is more important than an umbrella.

one thing i do will shooting in the rain is wrap a towel around my neck. i find this does wonders for keeping me warm. i learned that lesson at a match that had four strings and by the time i hit the fourth string, which was weak hand, i was shaking so badly i missed most of the weak hand shots.

I believe it was 2004 that we called the year of the monsoons. Area 4, the Tennessee state match near Nashville and the Mississippi Classic. All were shot in the rain and A4 and the MS classic, true monsoon conditions. I learned that year that once my feet were wet, I could go ahead and just enjoy it. Yeah, riiiiiight.

My son introduced me to a rainsuit called FrogToggs. It is a goretex suit that is waterproof but yet breaths so you don't get so wet on the inside from sweat. I laughed at him for wearing it but he would go to the line, pull his coat up to clear his guns and mags and just shoot. He was also wearing rubber boots. At the end of the day, he was dry :) and I was cold, wet and cranky. :angry2:

Also, an "Indian Jones" style felt hat will do wonders for keeping the water off your glasses and from running down your neck.

FWIW

dj

I hate shooting in the rain, and whine like a six year-old at the mall.

No doubt this indicates a mental weakling, but I shoot matches for fun, and shooting in heavy rain gets NOT fun quickly. It's less the actual shooting part, it's everything else. Bagged and soggy targets, pasters that won't stick, and the ground turning into a bog, and in some cases, like last year's VA/MD Sectional, places of shin-deep mud.

One of the shooters on my squad won A-class Open in the exact same conditions, so it's clearly possible to not let the adverse conditions get to you, nor dwell on how Saturday's squad enjoyed perfect weather....<sigh>

First time I EVER posted a Master level score in the IDPA Classifier was IN THE RAIN last night! Not just sprinkling but pouring. My timer got waterlogged and stopped working wet. Several mental things I noticed. I accepted that I was going to get wet and once I did that, I didn't care if I was getting wet because I couldn't get any wetter! I also noticed that I really had to pay attention to what was going on to even see the target, let alone the front sight. It was dark, visibility was poor and my glasses were fogged up. I relate it to being more attentive while driving in a bad rainstorm, you're on high alert. There was a sense of urgency...even though I didn't care that I was wet, I wanted to get things done so I could go home. Might have been one of those "tricks of the day" working for me.

Edited by Filishooter