Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930 SPX

M ammo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have about 500 rounds of buck/slug/ and some 6 shot through mine - not one malfunction. Shoots slugs accurately out as far as 50 (all I've tried so far).

Its seems to be running well.... I put a 3-Gun gear side saddle on it, and took it straight to a match. I like it. (Before I've shot 1100 CMs and Benelli M1s FWIW).

I have about 500 rounds of buck/slug/ and some 6 shot through mine - not one malfunction. Shoots slugs accurately out as far as 50 (all I've tried so far).

Its seems to be running well.... I put a 3-Gun gear side saddle on it, and took it straight to a match. I like it. (Before I've shot 1100 CMs and Benelli M1s FWIW).

Thanks for the input. I would like to run an American gun. I too have run an 1100 and now have an M2. I know someone will have a tube that will make it 8+1, sooner or later, or when the time comes I'll have to se my buddy with a lath, and practice up on my thread cutting,

Jim M ammo

I haven't shot the new mossberg, but if it is like their other shotguns, It might be worth something. Mossberg kind of reminds me of Ruger. Rough around the edges, ugly as sin, but they work and work and work.

Keep us posted. I'm interested to hear how it works out.

The tube that comes on it is from Choate, and they already make one, in the same finish, that will make it 8+1 on their website. Of course it will stick past the barrel somewhat, but who cares ? B)

A little off topic but.. The Mossberg pump gun looks like it might be a possibility for a Heavy Metal shotgun.. Looked at one today and it was a pretty smooth action and looked like it would load easily... I'm with J-Ho regarding Mossberg guns.

A little off topic but.. The Mossberg pump gun looks like it might be a possibility for a Heavy Metal shotgun.. Looked at one today and it was a pretty smooth action and looked like it would load easily... I'm with J-Ho regarding Mossberg guns.

If you're going to shoot a pump in the 3gun games, the Mossberg has a significant loading advantage in that there's no gate to push out of the way....

I see local shooters drop one shell in the inverted receiver and use the second to push both in, typically they load a little faster than Remmy shooters who practice the same amount of time...

Nordic Components has a tube that is awesome. I used it on a buddy's 930. Felt like a good gun. A bit heavier in the recoil department than I am used to but the gun ran everything we stuck in it. Even light 2 3/4 dram 1 oz tgt loads. The only things I would change would be to cut back the back end of the forend and open up the loading port for better access. I had the occasional issue with not getting the round all the way in the tube. My wife says.... nahh I won't go there.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 930 SPX, and just got a Nordic Components +4 for it. Any idea how much of the spring to cut off? That is one long spring.

I'm looking at getting the barrel threaded for the Briley extended chokes, I worry about engaging steel at a distance with an 18" barrel with no chokes.

I have a 930 SPX, and just got a Nordic Components +4 for it. Any idea how much of the spring to cut off? That is one long spring.

I'm looking at getting the barrel threaded for the Briley extended chokes, I worry about engaging steel at a distance with an 18" barrel with no chokes.

With the spring as it is, can you load all the rounds, that you wish?

If so I would leave it alone.

I’ll take good Positive Magazine feeding. Over easy-ER to get them in the tube.

I like the choke Idea as well.

I don’t change them often, but it is good to know I can.

Once I have a good Slug Zero, I don’t like to mess with that.

I don’t have a Mossberg, but If and when I buy a new shotgun I’d like to spend it on an American gun.

Brileys may be a good idea. But let me tell you what happened with my Colonial Thinwall choke tubes. I had an old 30 inch fixed choke Trap bbl for an 1100 cut back to 19"(it was suppossed to be 22", but thats another story). My gunsmith said since the bbl was an older thinner model to go with these thinwall choke tubes. All was well until I tried to remove my Improved Cyl. tube. it was difficult to get out and when removed saw why. In the threaded portion there was 3/16" diameter whole where the metal was just peeled away. I am assuming slug shooting did this. Anyway I put in another imp Cyl in and was shootingt the other day with lite shot loads and the whole choke tuber blowed out and the the end of the barrel . Right under the vent rib for split for about a 1/2".

I believe the newer thicker barrels intended for tubes will be okay , just wanted to share this expereince.

Been shooting rifled slug in my SPX out to 50 yds+ on paper, no problem, and Buckshot out past 30 yds no problem, on steel. But for #6 or lighter birdshot, I would like to have a tighter pattern for steel - at 20 yds or so it gets iffy especially if the steel is set heavy.

But for 95% of the shooting I'm doing, I don't miss the chokes.... and I don't have to fret over "hmmmm, which choke for this stage...?"

• 3 weeks later...

I've been shooting a 930 field gun with the barrel cut down to 21", screw ins installed and a DMW mag tube. (the gun belongs to DMW). The gun runs no jams. It's heavy, and needs some work to improve the loading. DWW is working on that now.

The spring should be cut 10 to 16 inches longer than the entire tube assembly.

Start at the longer side.....will save you a phone call.

Cut it right at 16" longer than the +4, and it ran 50rds of target loads through it without a misfeed or hiccup.

Ran my first 3 gun this weekend, Area 8. WHAT A BLAST! My M590 was great with ghost ring, including slugs. While in the Navy, we used (& abused) several 500's and they may not be perfect, but they are as close as i've seen for general purpose.

I'm now interested in an auto and just saw the 930 SPX. It may be some time but i'll keep an eye on this thread and try to find one at the range to borrow for some intimate touching.

Okay, so after reading this thread i went to Dick's today and fondled the 930 SPX they had. Nate likey. It was as simple as i hoped. It seems to be as simple as i want an auto to be. I have used Mossbergs since i was 12, including 8 years in the Navy (VERY few problems). But the SPX seems simple enough and priced right. It is Glock simple with only three buttons. As mentioned, could use someplace to put a sling and i would miss the heat shield on my 590 (or skin on my right palm...)

Edited by safenate

• 4 weeks later...

What is the capacity with the +4? Also, how much does it protrude past the end of the barrel?

What is the capacity with the +4? Also, how much does it protrude past the end of the barrel?

8+1 and 2+ inches.

2" is not bad at all!!! especially with an 18" barrel to get your 8 +1 capacity. Did you ever get your barrel threaded for the extended tubes? How many rounds do you have thru it? How is the gun holding up? Any issues that you are seeing?

Tim

2" is not bad at all!!! especially with an 18" barrel to get your 8 +1 capacity. Did you ever get your barrel threaded for the extended tubes? How many rounds do you have thru it? How is the gun holding up? Any issues that you are seeing?

Tim

I haven't sent the barrel to Briley yet for the choke threading.

I have about 130 rounds through it, today I went and shot about 15 slugs through it, all low-recoil variety. Lawman gave me some B&P, Federal, and Remington low-recoil slugs to try out and said the B&P won't run in any auto shotgun he knows of.

They ran fine in the 930.

I did have a FTF with the Federal on the 2nd round, but that could have been me not shouldering the gun enough, I don't know. THat and the fact that I haven't so much as lubed anything since I got it new.

I haven't noticed any problems with it that a proper lubrication/cleaning wouldn't cure. Gun runs and gobbles up everything I've shot out of it. I'm hoping someone cooks up some side-saddle and slide-lock kit for it soon. I don't have a bunch of shotgun gear for 3gun except for a few belt-mounted 6-shell carriers.