Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930 SPX

M ammo

2" is not bad at all!!! especially with an 18" barrel to get your 8 +1 capacity. Did you ever get your barrel threaded for the extended tubes? How many rounds do you have thru it? How is the gun holding up? Any issues that you are seeing?

Tim

I haven't sent the barrel to Briley yet for the choke threading.

I have about 130 rounds through it, today I went and shot about 15 slugs through it, all low-recoil variety. Lawman gave me some B&P, Federal, and Remington low-recoil slugs to try out and said the B&P won't run in any auto shotgun he knows of.

They ran fine in the 930.

I did have a FTF with the Federal on the 2nd round, but that could have been me not shouldering the gun enough, I don't know. THat and the fact that I haven't so much as lubed anything since I got it new.

I haven't noticed any problems with it that a proper lubrication/cleaning wouldn't cure. Gun runs and gobbles up everything I've shot out of it. I'm hoping someone cooks up some side-saddle and slide-lock kit for it soon. I don't have a bunch of shotgun gear for 3gun except for a few belt-mounted 6-shell carriers.

Get a soft velcro 3Gun Gear side saddle for a Rem or M1 and cut it to fit. Works just fine.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm looking at the 930, also. I already have a Mossberg 590 pump. MY issue is being left handed. The crossbolt safety on hunting rifles and shotguns are set up for the right handed shooter. In competition, changing your grip to access the safety is a REAL dissadvantage!

Is anyone shooting one and how is it holding up?

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Gu...0/New/85360.jpg

Jim M ammo

I've gotten a 930SPX since I first replied to this topic and I'd like to share my experience. So far it's been great. I've only been able to run a hundred rounds or so of Remington Heavy Dove load through it, but it's functioned flawlessly. I used Winchester slugs to sight in the LPA's, but there's not enough elevation adjustment. With the rear sight all the way down I have to hold the front sight at the very bottom of the ghost ring for the slugs to hit point of aim. At least that's pretty easy to do on the fly. I haven't shot any steel targets with it yet, and I'm worried that the pattern may be to sparse to knock over steel at a distance, so I'm considering having the barrel threaded for chokes. I'm gonna add the Choate +4 magazine extension soon to bump the capacity up to 8+1.

Sure it's probably not the perfect gun out of the box for 3gun, but it's not too bad for the price.

I've gotten a 930SPX since I first replied to this topic and I'd like to share my experience. So far it's been great. I've only been able to run a hundred rounds or so of Remington Heavy Dove load through it, but it's functioned flawlessly. I used Winchester slugs to sight in the LPA's, but there's not enough elevation adjustment. With the rear sight all the way down I have to hold the front sight at the very bottom of the ghost ring for the slugs to hit point of aim. At least that's pretty easy to do on the fly. I haven't shot any steel targets with it yet, and I'm worried that the pattern may be to sparse to knock over steel at a distance, so I'm considering having the barrel threaded for chokes. I'm gonna add the Choate +4 magazine extension soon to bump the capacity up to 8+1.

Sure it's probably not the perfect gun out of the box for 3gun, but it's not too bad for the price.

what did you end up paying for it?

what did you end up paying for it?

About $550 OTD I think.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately I didn't get to sight the shotgun in this afternoon...the wife and I decided to check out the new Bass Pro Shops that opened this week near Birmingham. Overpriced, but it was a sight to behold.

Anyway...jobob...my Mossberg gets along just fine with my two Remingtons (870 and 50 year old Sportsman 58 16 gauge). They all know their role: the 870 is the bedside gun, the Mossberg is the go-fast gun, and the Sportsman 58 is the "sit in the safe and look pretty" gun. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

are the ported barrels on these sending one into open in uspsa and what about other matches?? only non ported i saw was the spx.. i would like a 24 inch and add the tube .. chokes already there but if open its a no go.... ill email mossy see what they might have...........thanks for input

• 5 months later...

A friend of mine has one. He has put a lot of rounds down the tube without one problem. He uses walmart 100 round boxes. I was thinking of getting one for my son.

• 6 months later...
Yeah, the ports are a ticket into Open in USPSA. The other option would be get one with a longer barrel and have it cut down to your desired length, cutting off the ported part of the barrel while you're at it.

Have you mannaged to solve your hitting high problem? I seem to have the same problem at 25 yds. Needless to say i was not thrilled when i realized I had a problem.

I am awating your solutions to your sighting problems WAS and reiche. This shotgun and a SX3 is on my short list. Also, I heard the front sights are canted to the right on a lot of guns. Any problems in that department?

I am awating your solutions to your sighting problems WAS and reiche. This shotgun and a SX3 is on my short list. Also, I heard the front sights are canted to the right on a lot of guns. Any problems in that department?

Kyle,

I picked up a Mossberg 930 SPX. If you're not in too big of a rush I'll bring out to Rio and show the gun to you.

Kyle,

I picked up a Mossberg 930 SPX. If you're not in too big of a rush I'll bring out to Rio and show the gun to you.

Whatup Maples! Yeah that would be great. If your shooting Tuesday come in to Marty's shop and we will run up to high power and put a few rounds through it, I will bring some. What is your opinion of the 930 so far?

Kyle,

Whatup Maples! Yeah that would be great. If your shooting Tuesday come in to Marty's shop and we will run up to high power and put a few rounds through it, I will bring some. What is your opinion of the 930 so far?

I'm not 100% sure I'm shooting but I will definitely try to make it up there so you can shoot it. I am hoping to shoot the Mossberg today but as of yet it is new and unfired. Without firing it, I am impressed so far.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem with the 930 shooting high with the rear sight all the way down. The further the shot the higher the POI.

What did you do to raise the front sight? I see the newer models have the front sight mounted on a elevated base.

I have the same problem with the 930 shooting high with the rear sight all the way down. The further the shot the higher the POI.

What did you do to raise the front sight? I see the newer models have the front sight mounted on a elevated base.

For those of you with 930s shooting high, do you have the newer front sights or the original ones? I am currently looking at getting a SPX myself.

On the SPX, the front sight post is adjustable up and own as well. It takes a small allen wrench to ratchet it up an down. I lowered my rear all the way down, and raised the front, it shoots now to point of aim.

I have a few rounds through mine and so far it is running everything I feed it. I have ran full power slugs at 1600 fps and reduced recoil slugs at about 1200 fps. I have also put several 7 1/2 and 8 birdshot through it as well as some heavy buckshot and it has fed it all.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the front sight problem solved and now I have a new problem...... Light firing pin strikes on the primer. Happens about once per box of shells. Primer gets a slight dent. Everything is cleaned and lubed with Breakfree CLP. Happened with a couple different types of ammo.