Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even thou the popcorn posts were pulled on me once or twice I still liked the

icon and will miss it... :(

There were some repeat offenders, mabey we could have it like rationed

out or something... :lol: say... no more then two times a month per member !!! :roflol:

Seems like much ado.... :yawn: Sides, I still have it on my server. :ph34r: Sometimes the forum can get a bit restrictive... if someone wants to start a topic they KNOW is going to start a shit storm then the popcorn icon seems appropriate to me.

Edited by JThompson

Sometimes the forum can get a bit restrictive... if someone wants to start a topic they KNOW is going to start a shit storm then the popcorn icon seems appropriate to me.

And if members notice a thread is heading toward trouble, why wouldn't they want to pm a moderator or administrator, rather than throwing fuel on the fire?

Sometimes the forum can get a bit restrictive... if someone wants to start a topic they KNOW is going to start a shit storm then the popcorn icon seems appropriate to me.

And if members notice a thread is heading toward trouble, why wouldn't they want to pm a moderator or administrator, rather than throwing fuel on the fire?

What like running and telling Mom? Sometimes I/We? don't agree that threads should be closed. I try to remain within the guidelines of the forum, but that doesn't mean I agree with some of the rules/closures. I respect Brian's authority to set rules for his forum, and for the mods to implement those rules... however, that doesn't mean I have to drink the juice.

On occasion when I think a thread was really going to get nasty, I have informed a mod, but I don't make a habit out of it unless it's way over the line. There are enough forum police here already. I think the popcorn con was a great addition to the forum and gave people a way too voice their thoughts on a thread that could be borderline; WITHOUT actually throwing fuel on the fire. Frankly, it boggles my mind that someone would be anal enough to PM a mod about the use, of all things, a popcorn eating emoticon.

"No Soup For You!"

Edited by JThompson

I respect Brian's authority to set rules for his forum, and for the mods to implement those rules... however, that doesn't mean I have to drink the juice.

Nobody's asking you to endorse Brian's rules, just to abide by them while you are here. And I get that you get that.....

On occasion when I think a thread was really going to get nasty, I have informed a mod, but I don't make a habit out of it unless it's way over the line. There are enough forum police here already.
Thank you for the first, and we're in total agreement on the last --- though I suspect for different reasons..... :D :D
I think the popcorn con was a great addition to the forum and gave people a way too voice their thoughts on a thread that could be borderline; WITHOUT actually throwing fuel on the fire.

I personally could care less about the popcorn emoticon --- but some of my fellow moderators were irritated by its use, which can easily be seen as egging on the offending posters. That doesn't mean that that's the only way to interpret it --- but it certainly is one way. Try to think about it this way for a minute --- the moderators here are a lot like the staff at local matches: unpaid volunteers. Can they deal with the passive-aggressive use of the emoticon? Sure, but should they really have to?

Frankly, it boggles my mind that someone would be anal enough to PM a mod about the use, of all things, a popcorn eating emoticon.

That wasn't what I was asking for --- what I was asking for was that if you were in a thread that was on over the edge where the rules are concerned, and you felt tempted to insert the popcorn emoticon as a way of saying "This should be interesting soon" or if you felt like inserting a comment along the lines of "How long til this thread gets closed" that perhaps you could more constructively contribute by alerting a moderator....

The choice is yours....

Well put Nik. ;) I agree with most of your thoughts here.

"The needs of the few, or the one, outweigh the needs of the many." :P

I'm not trying to be an ass, Lord knows I don't need to try, but this just seems petty. You need to let people have a little fun... If something like this really gets on a mods nerves then perhaps they need to get laid? :D

Just a thought....

An aside to this stuff... I/We do appreciate you guys taking the time to keep the peace and help the forum stay on track. Just don't make it so we can't shed our ties, put our feet up on the table and have a beer now and then. From a user stand point, it's nice to be able to cut loose a little without someone smacking you in the snout with a newspaper.

Best,

Jim

I thought it was funny. Knowing the reason behind makes it even funnier.

This forum looks restrictive compared the rest of the crap on the WWW but in reality is not harsh at all.

Now, tell me, how is the use of the popcorn emoticon throwing fuel on the fire ?

Really, tell me.

FWIW, there aren't enough mods to read every thread every day. We rely on alert members to warn us when things get off track much of the time. "sitting back to watch the fun" is disrespectful to Brian's house.

Now, tell me, how is the use of the popcorn emoticon throwing fuel on the fire ?

Why don't you tell us how it is contributing to the forum first?

Really, tell me. :P

Is the 'sticking tongue out' emoticon helping here?

food-smiley-007.gif

Mellow out. At least popcorn does not make your keyboard orange.

Well that was a tongue in cheek statement...without that emoticon it kinda comes across as argumentative, which was not my intention...so yes I think it is helping here.

I'm not up tight, honestly the popcorn emoticon never really bothered me much....but I see why it would bother some.

:surprise:

Gee, a whole new way to be PC. :unsure: Inappropriate use of smilies. <_<

See what happens when we can't fight about the government, the war, or whether there should be a limited 10 division?

:sight:

My three favorite emoticons were the :cheers: , the :roflol: and the defunct popcorn eating dude. :)

I think :P constitutes sexual harassment in some jurisdictions.

It seems to me the time has come to be B) , this topic is getting to be :yawn: and go dry fire.

Gee whiz, I missed all the controversy.

From a user stand point, it's nice to be able to cut loose a little without someone smacking you in the snout with a newspaper.
I have been known to cut loose once in a while, but it is with the understanding that I need to be responsible for the results. This is Brian's house and if I/we/ you behave like a puppy and poop on the floor, expect to have your nose rubbed in it... Frankly, I couldn't care less about the pop corn smiley. If Brian wants to toast it that's his business.