Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stack mag holders

kitestir

Is there a decent and inexpensive mag holder for single stack mags? I just ordered and Smith PC1911 and want to give it a go in L10 or SSD. I have a couple of dbl galco leather holder, but I am not sure I like them. I was looking for something that was a bit cheaper and that I could fit 6 total mags on my belt without touching my spine :roflol: .

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I used Safariland 773 and get 5 on my belt. I was using CR speeds, and could only get four, before that I had the BladeTech, Quad, but would grap two mags at a time sometimes, I also used the bladetech doubles, but they wouldn't line up right.

773 are the best I have used.....could have save alot of money if I would have listened to Chuck Bradley at shooters connection 2 years ago.

For over a year I used the Blade-tech double pouches, they worked fine, and for $40 you get 4 mags on your belt. I have dropped mags before while running though, dual pouches are pretty hard to adjust right, one side is always loose. Unless you are a member of the big belly gang like me you'ld be reaching past your spine for a 6th mag, but shooting single stack adn L10 for a year I've never needed more than four spare mags, but I have been worried before.

I just bought a few of the Blackhawk CQC pouches , JasMap turned me on to them, and I think they are much better, they were like $18 each. They hold the mag away from your body a bit more, hold much better and a little higher. They are also not much longer on your belt than a mag. I use them with a CR Speed belt and put a little velcro on the inside of the clip to keep the pouch from coming off the belt with the mag. I don't think you would have any problems running a regular belt. One little thing about the CQC pouches is that if you seat them all the way they are pretty tight, I use witness hole #5 as a reference for the depth. The magazine only being half in it still holds plenty tight, but not tight enough to worry about your reload speeds.

Jason

I use Safariland 771s and they fit great. I have a 36" waist and can get 6 mag pouchs between the hip and the SOB.

If you do a little begging and searching you can find them used. I have now built 2 entire rigs out of someone elses lightly used old gear and I've saved literally hundreds.

I also use the blade-tech IM doubles, but am considering switching over to 771/3's for 2 reasons:

-My BT's seem to really lock the mag in when it's cool outside. At home dryfiring they are loose and smooth, but at the range they start to really grab and pull my belt up. Has anyone else noticed this?

-Looking for more exposed mag - really learning the importance of indexing on the mag before you start to pull it - my reloads are at least twice as fast and hit 90% of the time or better than a sloppy grab.

I shot a single stack in L10 for awhile. I used 2 771's starting just left of belly button. then a kydex uncle Mike double. The gun plus 2 gave me 31 rounds didnt go for the uncle mike often.

31" ish waist and I went with the Comp-Tac Belt Feed just so the single behind it wouldn't be on my spine....very nice setup, but I think it's running about $125. If you compare that with four singles, it's not so bad. R,

31" ish waist and I went with the Comp-Tac Belt Feed just so the single behind it wouldn't be on my spine....very nice setup, but I think it's running about $125. If you compare that with four singles, it's not so bad. R,

Is the Comp-Tac belt feed legal for single stack? I have one and it would be handy to use.

Dave

Is the Comp-Tac belt feed legal for single stack? I have one and it would be handy to use.

Dave

Yep, it fits easily within the 2" rule (farthest for me is like 1.25") and that's the only real thing other than that it can't be forward of the point of the hip. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

I also use the blade-tech IM doubles, but am considering switching over to 771/3's for 2 reasons:

-My BT's seem to really lock the mag in when it's cool outside. At home dryfiring they are loose and smooth, but at the range they start to really grab and pull my belt up. Has anyone else noticed this?

-Looking for more exposed mag - really learning the importance of indexing on the mag before you start to pull it - my reloads are at least twice as fast and hit 90% of the time or better than a sloppy grab.

I think the problem you are having is that the mags do swell some when loaded. You ned to adjust your carriers with loaded mags. That is assuming you are doing your dry fire with empty mags.....I Hope.....

I think the problem you are having is that the mags do swell some when loaded. You ned to adjust your carriers with loaded mags. That is assuming you are doing your dry fire with empty mags.....I Hope.....

I made up some nickel dummies, but I only have 11 total, so I only load 2 or 3 in each for most of my practice, and occasionally fully load one to get the weight correct. I'll have to wait til my buddy blows through some more defense ammo before I can load em up fully... Thanks for the tip :cheers:

I use mag pouches that I hand make from leather. One type is based on an old Ernie Hill design the other type is based on an even older Davis. I used to make both types and sell them at matches, maybe it's time to start making them again.

post-6529-1208493862.jpg

These are a couple of the last ones that I made. I use the Hill type, but with the straight belt loops instead of the angled ones in the pic.

For over a year I used the Blade-tech double pouches, they worked fine, and for $40 you get 4 mags on your belt. I have dropped mags before while running though, dual pouches are pretty hard to adjust right, one side is always loose. Unless you are a member of the big belly gang like me you'ld be reaching past your spine for a 6th mag, but shooting single stack adn L10 for a year I've never needed more than four spare mags, but I have been worried before.

I just bought a few of the Blackhawk CQC pouches , JasMap turned me on to them, and I think they are much better, they were like $18 each. They hold the mag away from your body a bit more, hold much better and a little higher. They are also not much longer on your belt than a mag. I use them with a CR Speed belt and put a little velcro on the inside of the clip to keep the pouch from coming off the belt with the mag. I don't think you would have any problems running a regular belt. One little thing about the CQC pouches is that if you seat them all the way they are pretty tight, I use witness hole #5 as a reference for the depth. The magazine only being half in it still holds plenty tight, but not tight enough to worry about your reload speeds.

Jason

+1 for the Blackhawk pouches. Just add velcro and they're good to go.