Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To Redi-Mag or Not to Redi-Mag, if so, which one

Chills1994

Hi all,

I did a search first, honest I did:

Redi-Mag search results

And it looks like the youngest thread is over 2 years old.

I tried running with a mag cinch (or is it clinch?) in a rifle side match.

Well... the top round of the "standby" mag slid out under the feed lips, which ate up a little time to push it back, and even then I think the gun still managed to jam.

Argghh!!! :angry2:

So a quick perusal of Brownell's I found this:

RediMag1.jpg

And this:

RediMag2.jpg

Brownell's Redi-Mag Link

Have you all's opinions on the Redi-Mag changed since that 2 year old thread?

There are 8 different models of Redi-Mag to choose from in that link, ranging in price from 90 bucks (retail) to 150.

Which one would you suggest getting?

If you guys recommend against the Redi-Mag and I stuck with a mag cinch, is there some trick to keep the top round of the other mag from slipping out either under movement or recoil?

Thanks!

I used as RediMag for several years, but last year I switched to cinched mags. I changed because (1) the RediMag stops me using a Beta mag, and (2) my PMI 40-round mags do not reliably drop free (important when doing a RediMag speed load). I find the cinched mags about as fast to reload with, even adding the fraction of a second I take to push back the top round in the spare mag prior to hitting the mag release.

Now, if I were going into real combat, the RediMag would make a lot more sense because it protects the top of the spare mag from damage, dirt and ammo loss. In our game, though, I think there are more minuses than pluses with the RediMag. Just my 2 cents worth.

I've used both. The Redi-Mag for work and competition and the coupled mags for play. The Redi-Mag works great but does add a fair amount of weight to the gun due to steel construction. It also limits the use of drum mags. I really like using the Arredondo mag yokes for competition. I keep a couple mags with the yokes on and a few singles with me. If I'm shooting a 16 ish round rifle stage, I just use a single and the guns is that much lighter. I've tried a variety of the mag cinches and the Arredondo is the one that works best for me. I don't have any problems with the top round of the off mag sliding. Try the Arredondo setup. If that doesn't cure it, try some different mags in the cinches, with new springs. If that doesn't work, you really need a better comp system on your rifle.

I don't think the weight of the RediMag is that big a deal, as its made from light-guage sheet steel. The extra mag does add significant extra weight, of course, but its there with the cinched mag or a Beta too. There are other places to shave weight off a rifle more effectively than the RediMag.

...Used with HK mags there is no drop free issue at all...

Are the HK mags 40 rounders and, if so, where did you get them ? I only have trouble with 40-round mags not dropping free. All my plain vanilla GI 30 rounders drop free no problems.

The Redi-Mag is a great option but of course has its down fall (weight is not one of them). It does get a little getting used to but so does everything else. I used them down range all the time, great for tactical work and using the HK mags no worries with any drop free hang-up. Of course the same with the cinch mags you have to remember to reach up and secure the magazine/s with either or with the release both will be on the ground in no time:)

I don't believe HK makes a 40 rounder, just 30 rounders.

Doesn't really answer the started question but I run both the Tripp Research 52 rounders and 42 rounders and love the options instead of the side by side style. Rock solid performance and is as rugged as they come. They are a long... About $100 which is over half the price of a beta mag and it will take a lot more abuse. Should get you through almost all 3 gun matches without a reload except for the Iron-Man.

However, running a side by side magazine can help with 4 things,

#1. Provide a stable base if you have to go prone

#2. You are trying to save your expensive LR rounds and can switch during the stage to hoser ammo

#3. Give you another magazine in case of a malfunction

#4. If you want to add weight to a rifle :)

Just my .02 cents worth.

Scott

Another advantage of the cinched mag approach is that you get to keep the partially-expended mag on board... you never know when those extra few rounds are going to prove REALLY useful :D . In matches that call for a tactical reload (like outlaw matches at IDPA clubs), the cinched mags make more sense too.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

That would be awsome if HK makes some 40 round magazines with the same style as their 30 rounders.

I like using the coupled magazines because it serves as nice support when prone. I use HK mags with Arrendondo mag bases. I noticed the 1st round moving forward but only when it is down loaded and not when loaded to capacity. I've tried Arredondo mag couplers on standard aluminum mags and HK mags and the mags would slip no matter how much I tightened them. I now use the Mag Grip coupler and haven't had any slipping issues.

Use a suddendeath 45 round mag and don't even worry about doing a reload on even the long stages. Shoot him a message and I'm sure he can hook you up. His mags are the only mag over 30 rounds that I have found that actully works 100% without tinkering with it. Most pf the people I know and shoot with have one of his mags for the long stages.

I like the cinch mags, use them at work and play. Great to monopod, quick reloads, and speaking from experience......keeping the extra ammo on board can come in handy. Short stages I don't bother but any high round count stage ill go cinched. I have seen to many people have problems with the 40, 45, 50, 100 rd mags to trust them. I go with the tried and true 30 rnd'ers. My 2 cents.

I like cinched mags. Lately I've been working with 2 Pmags cinched together. I keep the dust cover on the reserve mag and in prevents the top round from moving forward. Of course you have to flip the cover off with your thunb befor inserting the mag, so it's probably a wash as far as time goes. One thing you might try is to rock the magazine into the mag well, like an AK, instead of directly inserting it. This pushes the top round back into the mag without having to use your finger.