Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

4o/45 round AR mags

Sestock

Who makes the best 40 or 45 round AR mags?

Where is the best place to get them?

Maybe give Suddendeath a PM. He makes them himself and I have not had a single issue with mine nor have I seen any with anyone elses. They hold 45 rounds and have a Magpul follower.

Chris C.

DPMS makes a 45 rounder that is 85% reliable. I've got two. Mine have failed me a time or two. But I still sometimes chance it. I try to only use it when the stage calls for 32 rounds. Virgil Tripp is making a 52 rounder that has been said to be 100%.

To be honest......I prefer to use a set of HK 30 round mags coupled together. Thats 60 rounds and they can be changed fast. And in a stage that would require that many rounds. There is always an oppurtune moment or two to make the switch from one side to the other.

I have 2 Sterling 40's that are 100% and one DPMS 45 that is 100%.

Virgil Tripp makes a 45 and a 52. Both are 100%.

Unless it's a hoser stage I'll couple 2 30's. Reliable, 60 rounds, better to monopod off.

Scout,

did you have to clean the welding slag off the inside of the DPMS mag? The early mags that went out were welded and the slag would bind the follwoer at times. Haven't seen one of these in quite a while, so curious as to whether Dpms has dealt with that.

Tripp makes a 42 rounder and a 52 rounder. I have both and they have been very reliable. I generally run two thirty rounders in a redimag but occasionally there is a stage that makes it nice not to have to do a reload.

I have the dpms 45 rounder. Mine was about 80% reliable when I first got it. I took it apart and cleaned the weld slag up with a file. The mag has been 100% since. I cant believe it worked as good as it did with all of the boogers on the weld. You would think for $70 you would get 100% from the start, But at least it works now.

For the record - I live in CA so buying new hicaps is out of the question.

I have a 40, a PMI, and it is not 100 %. I need to practice with it. I have replaced the follower (Magpul) & spring (IMSI) and it is waaay better than stock but not 100% yet.

I have a pre-ban Betamag that is 100% so I tend to look at the stage to see if a reload is really that big of a deal. Down loading a Betamag to 60 rounds and not doing a reload is sometimes a better solution than 2 30's.

If I could, I'd get a Tripp and try that.

I have a Beta C-Mag, and a DPMS 45 rounder that have been 100%. I also have an unknown brand 40 rounder that has been perfect as long as it is only loaded with 38 rounds. I picked it up at a gun show not expecting it to work for under $10.00.

For most stages the coupled 30's work just fine. There are times when the mag change just isn't possible without burning time. Specifically I'm thinking of the rollercoaster stage at SMM3G. It's better to have it in reserve and not need it IMO.

My only 40 rounder is a bushmaster. It has a steel body and horrible finish but after breaking down the finish it has worked every time. It will not take a green follower or a magpul. The first time I used it was at the '05 Dpms Tri-Gun on the Horse stage. I don't know what I was thinking but luckily it worked.

I normally just run a 30 rounder with a 5 rd extension that I make. That seems to handle most every stage I see and it isn't as long as the 40 rounder if you use a bipod.

Nick

I've Thermold 30/45's, DPMS 45's, and Betas that all run flawlessly, but, for a real bargain...

I've had terrific luck with Triple K 40's with MagPul followers and ISMI springs. The only thing you need to watch is mag OAL; there's a WIDE variation in overall lengths of 40's out there, and some won't run but 37 or 38 rounds reliably with a MagPul follower in them.

I have a pair of old PMIs coupled together... 80 rounds on tap :D . Both have the original springs and MagPul Gen1 followers. Both hold an honest 40 rounds and run 100% reliably. I also have a Beta C that's about 6 months old, but I haven't had ocassion to use it in a match yet.

Scout,

did you have to clean the welding slag off the inside of the DPMS mag? The early mags that went out were welded and the slag would bind the follwoer at times. Haven't seen one of these in quite a while, so curious as to whether Dpms has dealt with that.

On the first mag, yes, but not much. The base plate retaining tabs broke on that one just before the Tri-Gun last year and they gave me a new one. No slag, a Mag Pul follower works and the mag runs all of the time.

I run the thermold 30/45's and they run great for me. I only use them when it is a fast 30+ stage with no good place to reload. I also run 2x 30's coupled togeather a lot also.

Neal in AZ

I have been using a PMI 40 rounder for 3-4 years and it's been 100%. I replaced the follower with a Magpul and the spring with an ISMI. I also use a Magpul ranger plate to protect it when dropped. I only get 38 in there but when I need more, I use a DPMS 45 rounder which has been 100% the dozen times I've used it.

I have 2 or the DPMS 45 rounders. They both have the weld slag on the interior, but not enough to have caused any problems. Both have been 100%. The slag won't allow use of Magpuls, but they've been great without them.

I also have 2 of the Bushmasters, but don't trust them and have never tried to shoot with them, because one of them seemed to swell when it was loaded, and caused the rounds to jam up inside of it.

I have 2 or the DPMS 45 rounders. They both have the weld slag on the interior, but not enough to have caused any problems. Both have been 100%. The slag won't allow use of Magpuls, but they've been great without them.

I have a DPMS 45'er and was thinking about putting a Magpul follower in it......has anyone made this combo work ?????

I have a DPMS 45'er and was thinking about putting a Magpul follower in it......has anyone made this combo work ?????

I've gotten a Magpul to work in a DPMS 45 rounder. It took some sanding but it's possible. The green follower that came with the magazine was also sanded. Another thing that works is a CMMG stainless steel follower. No modification was required to make it work.

I've gotten a Magpul to work in a DPMS 45 rounder. It took some sanding but it's possible. The green follower that came with the magazine was also sanded. Another thing that works is a CMMG stainless steel follower. No modification was required to make it work.

That's good to know! Thanks!