Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17L might be legal for Production

mpolans

Interesting. I thought the 17L (and 24) were too long to fit the box.

7 Maximum size

Handgun and all magazines

(revolvers are exempt)

Yes, handgun with empty magazine inserted

must fit wholly within a box with internal

dimensions of 8 15/16” x 6” x 1 5/8” (tolerance

+1/16”, -0”) (8.938”x6”x1.625”)

(227.01mmx152.40mmx41.28mm)

My understanding has always been that the Glock 34/35 were created because the 17L/24 wouldn't fit in the IPSC Production/IDPA box. You'll note, if you go on the 'net, that the measurement of the 17L's 225mm length given, which would barely make the 227.1mm limit, is for the slide only. Once you add in the barrel sticking out the front, and the beavertail at rear, I'm sure that adds way more than 2.1mm, i.e. the 17L is well over the limit

I think that was probably John's stock answer without having to research the gun. Duane, you're a little off on the G34/35. They were designed for IDPA and IPSC Standard. They were never legal for IPSC Production because of the 5.32" bbl. IPSC has a Production requirement of no bbl longer than 5".

I think that was probably John's stock answer without having to research the gun. Duane, you're a little off on the G34/35. They were designed for IDPA and IPSC Standard. They were never legal for IPSC Production because of the 5.32" bbl. IPSC has a Production requirement of no bbl longer than 5".

I thought the G34/35 were designed for production, THEN IPSC added the 5" barrel rule.

Duane, you're a little off on the G34/35. They were designed for IDPA and IPSC Standard. They were never legal for IPSC Production because of the 5.32" bbl. IPSC has a Production requirement of no bbl longer than 5".

I stand corrected. (Well, I'm actually sitting, but you know what I mean.) Thanks. Good info to have.

All this talk about the Glock 34/35 or the 17-L being legal in this sport or that (IPSC / IDPA) but when I started shooting Production in USPSA 2 years ago I bought a used 2nd gen. 17 and within 9 months made Master.

The Glock 17 is legal in IPSC Production, USPSA Production, IDPA SSP, GSSF, Steel Challenge, etc. etc. etc. The only thing it doesn't do is make MAJOR in LTD or Standard.

[introduction to the opposite sketches]

That's all fine and good Chris, but what about a longer sight radius or more weight to counter recoil? Sure you made M with a G17, but maybe had you been shooting a G17L you would have made GRAND Master. Sure drawing a 6 inch gun out of a Production holster would be like pulling out a broadsword, but you would make up the time in splits.

Something to think about.

[/opposite sketches]

But what about quicker draw times, and transitions ? And what is this punishing recoil you speak of, shooting 9mm ?????? :huh::lol:

I'm simply stating the fact that if you want to remove all confusion as to what is and what isn't legal in a myriad of sports ..... and want to keep it cheap and simple (keeping in mind the G34 costs more) ... GET A 17 AND PRACTICE! :)

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

The G34 was around when IPSC introduced Production in 1999 and the US introduced it shortly after. IPSC rules were created, including the 5" rule at the time of inception, to preclude the G34 from being the dominant gun. Also most other guns at the time had a shorter barrel so they didn't want to create a disparity. It has never been legal for IPSC Production.

GET A 17 AND PRACTICE! :)

Practice? Are you talkin' about Practice?? Not a actual match, but practice!! How silly is that... Practice. I mean, I know it's important, I really do. But Practice? We're talking about Practice??? We ain't talking about the game, we talking about practice. Practice. Practice. Man practice. I mean, it ain't like it's a match, it's practice. You're not even talking about an actual match, when it matters. You're talking about practice...

:)

-Cuz (with his very poor Allen Iverson impersonation).

• 2 weeks later...

I met with a Glock representative this morning whom I contacted last week, he agreed to bring a model 17L with him, we could not get it to fit into the Production gun box which is 8 15/16" X 6" X 1 5/8", the problem is the way the butt of the grip extends rearward, thus not allowing it to fit. Therefore, the Glock 17L does not meet the criteria or requirements of the Production division, and will not be an approved gun for this division.

Regards,

John Amidon

I met with a Glock representative this morning whom I contacted last week, he agreed to bring a model 17L with him, we could not get it to fit into the Production gun box which is 8 15/16" X 6" X 1 5/8", the problem is the way the butt of the grip extends rearward, thus not allowing it to fit. Therefore, the Glock 17L does not meet the criteria or requirements of the Production division, and will not be an approved gun for this division.

Regards,

John Amidon

Well, that is that. :blink:

Also, welcome to the forum John!

JT

Edited by JThompson