Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge mag capacity rules Need help!

PINMAN44

I know that it is a felony in California for one to buy and sell high capacity mags. Is it a felony to be in the state and shoot a match with them?

I have never shot a major match, I'm a steel shooter and I would eventually like to go to the Steel Challenge is Piru, California. Is it illegal for me to bring my high cap mags (ST/SV) into the state with my gun? I barely have enough money to shoot let alone buying all new 10 round mags. If I bring these mags into the state would I be charged or is it ok as long as they are not being bought or sold?

I keep hearing different things and I'm not sure. Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

This has been posted several times and a search would do better than I answer you question.

I have made the trip for 8 years with my Hicap mags. Don't sell them loan them, give them away Or Louse them! and you will be OK.

But I don't know nothing but nothing

I'm not a lawyer. I don't play one on TV and I don't stay at Holiday Inn Express.

You are safe bringing in to CA 10 rd magazines.

IMHO, as a private citizen, you are not allowed to bring in hicaps for any reason. There are some provisions for in state LE but I'm not sure if they apply to visiting LE. I'm not LE so since they do not apply to me, I've not figured them out. If you are, call or write the CA DOJ and ask them for a clarification. You can even ask them for a clarification, in writing, regarding brining them in for competition if you are non-LE as well.

I know that it is a felony in California for one to buy and sell high capacity mags. Is it a felony to be in the state and shoot a match with them?

I have never shot a major match, I'm a steel shooter and I would eventually like to go to the Steel Challenge is Piru, California. Is it illegal for me to bring my high cap mags (ST/SV) into the state with my gun? I barely have enough money to shoot let alone buying all new 10 round mags. If I bring these mags into the state would I be charged or is it ok as long as they are not being bought or sold?

I keep hearing different things and I'm not sure. Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

It is also a felony to import high capacity mags into California. No exclusion for competitions. That said, if you need high caps at the SC, you should get some more practice :rolleyes:

Later,

Chuck

edit: forgot the disclaimer: me no lawyer.

Edited by ChuckS

do a forum search for Hicapacit mags in California =Last year that was hashed out.

Also email Mike Fitchman direct and he can help you.

Why would I take Hi-cap mags to the Steel Challenge. <_< Why wouldn't I = My adopted state did not vote to limit my rites.

I do OK at steel challenge in spite of shooting with a fat mag ;)

Guys I only have high cap mags, and I'm so low on funds that I cannot afford ten rounders... Thats why I'm asking!

Hey I we just call them Mags East of the Callifonda line :P The entire thing has been hashed out though I think even a lawyer would have a hard time with it.

I think if a trap was set up it would be costly to defend. I bet if I loaned my gun or my mag to a local shooter other than at the event that could be, would be a problem. I do know a few shooters that will not go to California out of "Fear" of the states laws.

It has been five years since I read the thing and got a firm answerer =I used to have it copied down to keep with me.

I suggests that you find the information in print so that you can have a copy and 'Know' for certain, so that you don't have to tell your wife why you need to send money to a lawyer

Edited by AlamoShooter

A typical steel stage is comprised of four plate and a stop plate that is shot last and stops the clock. Their is no need for a HiCap mag. If you burn thru 10 rounds you need more practice not match time. View the US Steel National stages on BJ Norris blog . This will give you a better understanding of the disclipine.

http://bjnorris.blogspot.com/

http://www.ussteelshoot.com/

DirtDiver

Oh my god. I feel like a broken record. I only have hi caps. I have shot steel challenge practice set ups. I can't afford the ten rounders. The hi caps came with my gun.

I can't afford to shoot more than 5 rounds for the five plates...

Thank you

Well I did find the California code that makes it OK to take the "Assault Gun" aka hand gun into the state for competition.

Go to www.caag.state.ca.us it has the California firearm laws

Penal code /section 12280(m) states that a visitor can bring in an Assault weapon - 50cal bmg to compete in a target shooting event. I could not find the magazine part that allows it only the one that prohibits the "Subjects"of Californian form having them.

And yes it is possible for a citizen of California to get a -Permit- to posses a new high cap mag - :blink: According to the state gov website.

:P But I don't know nothing,

I may have to only shoot the event with my High cap revolver this year. :P I think they will be posting my photo to get picked up on the Big Brother video cameras on the street corners B)

Edited by AlamoShooter

Thank you

Well I did find the California code that makes it OK to take the "Assault Gun" aka hand gun into the state for competition.

Go to www.caag.state.ca.us it has the California firearm laws

Penal code /section 12280(m) states that a visitor can bring in an Assault weapon - 50cal bmg to compete in a target shooting event. I could not find the magazine part that allows it only the one that prohibits the "Subjects"of Californian form having them.

And yes it is possible for a citizen of California to get a -Permit- to posses a new high cap mag - :blink: According to the state gov website.

:P But I don't know nothing,

I may have to only shoot the event with my High cap revolver this year. :P I think they will be posting my photo to get picked up on the Big Brother video cameras on the street corners B)

The CA DOJ doesn't know their own laws or how they are written and what they mean, they just follow policy. I am not a lawyer either, but I can read.

The last go around with this I called the CA DOJ and spoke with quite a few field reps there before someone with a brain there said, Oh, I see what you mean and I never have seen section 12280, I thought section 12020 covered hi-cap magazines, but we cannot give out legal advice. So when I asked it is perfectly legal for me to take an AR or 50 cal BMG, or ANY pistol that has magazines with greater than 10 round capacity, which in CA is considered an "assult weapon" just as long as I dont bring the magazines, she said I guess so. So then when I asked how can I compete if I can't put any rounds in my guns without being at a considerable disadvantage or having a single shot weapon against semi-automatic, she said I don't know. She then went on to say that they just say what they are told to say and the policy was to tell anybody asking about hi-cap magazines that, NO, there are no execeptions on magazines, but they do allow assult weapons in limited instances, LE and military, but the weapons must be kept on base or in police station, but still no hi-cap mags. I guess they don't trust the men and women who serve to keep assult weapons at their own homes.

One other thing that was interesting was one field rep during a discussion said that I could not even travel through CA if I was going through another state as that is considered importation. When I told her that was flat out wrong as the Firearms Owners Protection Act gives people who live in othe states safe passage. I asked her how is it considered importation if I go there for a competition and leave with what I came with. I didn't manufacture it, didnt sell it, didnt try to sell it, didnt give it to anybody, didnt lend it, or didnt loose it, doesnt importation having to do with buying and selling of goods? She responded with I can't give you any legal advice and hung up the phone.

Edited by HoMiE

• 3 months later...

Well...... one way I've heard of it being done is if traveling in your

vehicle and the base pads and springs are out then you have parts, not mags...

Not a Lawyer but do stay at the Holiday Inn...

I would ask on Calguns and see what they say. Myself I just wont go to shoot in KaLIforNia, I'm

from there but I"m done with it...

i do not want to drive anyone away. but it IS the truth. if you cannot afford 3-10 rd magazines how in the world can you afford entry fee, hotel, air fare, meals. his complaint is total BS. for the price of one restaurant dinner he can have the needed magazines.

anyone who cannot afford 3-10 round magazines cannot afford to GO to the Steel Challenge.

That's not right. :angry2:

Here is someone who wants to go shoot, and you just want to drive them away.

+1

I could certainly afford some mags but why buy them if you didn't have to buy them.