Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to Breathe b4 the Beep?

lrjet

How do you guy’s breathe just before the beep goes off on a surrender draw. Is it good to fill the lungs up on the “RU Ready Standby” command so you can slowly exhale to relax the body and drop the shoulders? This lets you go from loose to tight on the beep through position 1 and 2. Or better to breath naturally and forget about it.

I've been working on breathing during "dead-time" before the buzzer goes. I have been just breathing as the buzzer goes, inhale or exhale. I can feel when I take in too much air, as if I'm gonna hold my breath, or when I exhale too strongly, then you can physically hear it. I think normal breathing promotes "prelaxation", preparation to chill....

At "Are you ready", I give the RO a small nod. I begin to inhale slowly through "Standby" and begin to exhale at the "beep". My lungs feel like they at half to 3/4 full when the beep goes off.

Once it became routine, it messes me up when I don't follow the procedure.

Bill

That would tighten all the ab. muscles... but wouldn't that set me up for that gulp of air triggered by the buzzer?

On some short stages I don't think I even breath until I find myself gasping for air while showing clear.

It sure sounds like you want to gulp a bunch of air for some reason, then hold your breath. Don't do that. ;)

Flatland Shooter gave a good example.

<_< One thing I have found as I get ....Older. is that its how you breath 60 = seconds before the AYR that makes more of a difference. I try to pump a little more carbon dioxide =out of my body by breathing deeper. at the AYR I just bringing in new Ox and letting my breath just float out. The eye focus is one thing that drops off first as the blood drops in Ox. I want to keep my eyes sharp through the last of the five runs.

Many sports teach Breathing as part of the sport. Diving, Martial Arts, for - off hand rifle shooting drills it is a part of my training.

Walking and Breathing are (-Skills-) that the western culture discounts

How do you guy's breathe just before the beep goes off on a surrender draw.

In, then out. Repeat if necessary.

LOL...damn you...that what I was going to post... :goof:

I breathe pretty normally..focusing on the first part of the beep

truthfully my focus lately on working on a sense of calm and neutrality..

the scene in the movie "For the Love of the Game." when Costner is on the mound...with all the noise..and he says.."quiet the mechanism" (edited to fix.) and all the external distractions disappear.. very cool

Edited by eerw

the scene in the movie "For the Love of the Game." when Costner is on the mound...with all the noise..and he says.."quiet the machine" and all the external distractions disappear.. very cool

He says "Quiet the Mechanism"

"Don't Do That" My point exactly...Flex;)

I really never noticed I had developed this bad habit until I started shooting more USPSA... In the IDPA game 90% of the stages are short enough to do them with one breath of air...

The long field courses really showed me how bad the habit had become. Especially when toward the end of a field course there are plates or longer distance shots to be made which is effected by the fact that I'm out of breath. Targeting Ed had a couple last Spring that killed me.

Edited by MichiganShootist

Breathe ?? Whos got time to breathe ??

I try not to think about it and breathe however my body wants to. I find

that when I think about it it bacomes an issue, a focus, when I should just be

waiting for the beep. I find myself trying to breathe and usually out of synch.

I probably should practice that more. When I shoot 3gun I find myself focusing on

lots of air intake during non shooting tasks like loading the shotgun.

I have found that its not a good idea to hold your breath through a 100 sec 3gun stage !! :lol::lol:

Man, I cant spell ! :P

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

the scene in the movie "For the Love of the Game." when Costner is on the mound...with all the noise..and he says.."quiet the machine" and all the external distractions disappear.. very cool

He says "Quiet the Mechanism"

yeah..that's it..thanks Jamie

With asthma I have found out if I take several large breaths in the time after load and make ready I program my body to take full breaths during the stage, improving my visual acuity.

While taking these breaths, I roll my jaw around relaxing my jaw muscles also improving my vision. Learned this from a baseball coach as it helps see the ball, also goes for the front sights or the dot. Looks funny but works for me. <_<

At the beep I like to be inhaling calmly and slowly.

Thanks guys for your input. Also seems if you exhale a bit and relax one can get to the gun faster. Guys that have done martial arts know about going from loose to tight for speed. That would apply to position 1 just a thought.

• 1 month later...

I have never consciously thought about this aspect...interesting. I will pay attention to this tomorrow afternoon if I make it to practice before the range closes. Just by thinking back to practice on Saturday, I slowly inhale at the standby, exhaling at the beep. After that my mind goes blank..I'm shooting/moving/reloading. Never a conscious though on breathe control before. I'll follow this thread and add more observations if they become apparent. Good thread read B)

Don't much think about breathing, more conncerned with "find spot, AIM, shoot spot, move along". Figure I've been breathing for a while now and got that part down.

Really the only time I worry about breathing is when I can't, like when both regs crap out and your "buddy" is not close by, cause, ...well never mind I'm still here.

• 4 weeks later...

I take 3 or 4 quick deep breaths at LAMR to get some addtl O2 in the blood stream (learned that from a friend that does, for the lack of a better name, "power snorkeling"). One last BIG inhale at RUR and start exhaling slowly to be ready for the quick inhale at the beep...

Then, I think, I hold my breath until the stage is over... but I'm not sure because I usually pass out right after the holster command. ;)