Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning your Open gun

joecichlid

Tonight I was cleaning my Open gun, been about 600 rounds since I did it last, and got to thinking. How long do you go between cleanings? Basic field strip cleaning? Total tear down and deep cleaning?

Joe W.

Edited by joecichlid

Tonight I was cleaning my Open gun, been about 600 rounds since I did it last, and got to thinking. How long do you go between cleanings? Basic field strip cleaning? Total tear down and deep cleaning?

Joe W.

I try and clean my open guns about once a month, or 500 rounds, whichever comes first. Field strip, usually. Every 1000 rounds or so will pull firing pin, extractor, etc.

Total breakdown--- I have my gunsmith give my guns the once over about twice a year. ;)

-Mike

PS...I'll admit to not enjoying to clean guns.

Um.... let's see... public forum... gunsmith reads it.... hmmmm....

I clean at whatever interval my gunsmith tells me to!!! :lol:

Typically, 500-1000 rounds, depending on my schedule. I'll add lube as necessary in between, depending on the gun, the temperature outside, and the lube I'm using. I find that when using SlideGlide (I use Lite in everything I use it in), it hits a point where I need to clean it out and refresh the grease - the gun starts cycling differently after about 700-800 or so rounds...

That said, 4756 in the new gun is burning so clean that other than refreshing the lube and wiping the gun down after shooting, it seems that I could use a longer interval than that - maybe by 3-4x - without incurring any loss in reliability due to accumulation of crud. I wouldn't recommend it, but.... At Major PF, this stuff is the cleanest I've shot, which was very unexpected on my part....

Hmmm...I don't have an exact round count that I go by, but it's not all that frequent. What I find is that something else usually causes me to clean the gun. An example happened not long ago....I'd cleaned the gun, shot one practice session of maybe 200 rounds and then shot our local match of maybe 125rds. It was really windy and dusty and the dust got all over the gun, in the lube on the barrel through the slide cuts etc. I cleaned the gun after that match due to the dust factor. Often I'll clean the gun, shoot one practice with it, a match and then a couple more practices before cleaning it prior to the next match. That probably winds up being anywhere from 500 to 1000 rounds. I have yet to see any difference in how the gun works when it's squeeky clean versus after 1000 rounds (121IFP jacketed bullets and N350 powder, very clean combo).

I tell people to clean the top end every thousand rounds max. Break the entire gun down and clean everything every 3-4K rounds.

I am always short on time, my Open gun goes several thousand between cleanings. Usually it has to start malfunctioning before it gets cleaned or even any extra lube added, pretty sad but that is the way it usually goes.

To run it's best IMO an Open gun needs the top end wiped out and re-lubed every 500 rounds or so, it also need the extractor channel cleaned out at the same time. Couple that with good lube and a good gun and it should run very well. Wipe it out and re-lube with a good lube should also keep real cleaning to a once or twice a year event.

I am always amazed at how much dirt & gunk is in the extractor channel, compared to how little is in the rest of the upper when I clean both my open & my LTD guns. :huh:

I just run a Q-Tip through it twice and it looks great ..... of course the Q-Tip looks like sewer sludge. :sick:

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

I tell people to clean the top end every thousand rounds max. Break the entire gun down and clean everything every 3-4K rounds.

I am always short on time, my Open gun goes several thousand between cleanings. Usually it has to start malfunctioning before it gets cleaned or even any extra lube added, pretty sad but that is the way it usually goes.

To run it's best IMO an Open gun needs the top end wiped out and re-lubed every 500 rounds or so, it also need the extractor channel cleaned out at the same time. Couple that with good lube and a good gun and it should run very well. Wipe it out and re-lube with a good lube should also keep real cleaning to a once or twice a year event.

One of those do as I say, not as I do things. :cheers:

Just like the roofers roof, the mechanics car, I guess it holds true for a gunsmiths gun.

I took a friends gun apart this winter. He had no idea how to and it was around a year old. Rust in places like under the grip safety and many weird places.

I think the crud sandwiched in the the trigger area was from the Tulsa Nationals.

I clean my guns and it will bite you if you don't, some day.

LOL, I had a gun in not too long ago that I had to soak for a couple hours to get the trigger out and when it did come out I had to push it out from the shoe and pull on the bow. It amazes me how dirty guns can actually get......

Homie, yeah, pretty much.

Some day I want to get my hands on a beat up but functional 9mm 2011 to learn how to take apart, clean, tinker with, put together, etc. Anybody got one lying around they want to part with cheap? Ain't NO way I'm tearing my Open gun apart to learn on!!! :rolleyes:

My smith gave me strict orders to clean at least the top end after each time I shoot. Do I do that? In all honesty (not because he will read this), I try to. I'd say at least 50% of the time I clean at least the top end. It really doesn't take that long (17 minutes last go 'round). The down side to having to do this twice a week is trying to get 'cozy' with my wife after. The lingering smell of Hoppes #9 is not a great marital aide. :blush:

I do the bottom end every other time. Once a year, do the full tear down and clean. Amazing how the trigger feels like new again after that cleaning.

Of course it's a given that the whole gun gets done before a significant match.

My limited gun was another story. 600-1000 rounds but I was using VVN320 which was so very clean....

You're more than likely right. I crew on a dirt late model and Franklin rear ends and 750+ HP small block Chevy's are my friends... But guns are a whole 'nuther game and I have ZERO plans on practicing on anything that I currently own. Until then I'll keep an eye out for a project gun that I don't care if I junk something on and have to send out for repair. None of my current blasters are coming apart at my hand for now.

I try to clean and lube the top end every 500 rounds or so. That will include pulling the firing pin and extractor allowing the slide a thorough cleaning. Every 2500 rounds or so the entire gun gets tore down for cleaning.

The main difference between me and most of the other posters, I never go to a big match with a "clean" gun. I'll give the gun a good cleaning, put it together and make sure I run 100 rds through it to make sure everything is working like it should. Maybe not needed, but thats the way I've operated for over 20 years. (Over 40 years if you include my hunting guns.)

Bill

I pull a bore snake through and lube every time my open blaster is shot. I also use 4756 and it does seem to be very clean burning. Tear the top end down every 500-1000 rounds and complete disassembly a couple a weeks before a major match. That gives me time to shoot and check everything.

WOW!! Never thought I would get so many replies. lol For the record I tear down the top end to a bare slide every three or four weeks/500-600 rounds giving it a deep cleaning. Every three or four months I will tear the lower apart and give it a deep cleaning as well. When I clean it, I take my time making sure to get every last bit of gunk out of those hard to reach places and look for any signs of unusual wear or broken/cracked parts.

When it comes to "big matches", for me I will clean the gun a week before and run 50 to 100 rounds through it to make sure everything is working correctly. Sadly the biggest matches I have shot have been Area 3 in 05 and 06 as well as a few local charity matches. If my job paid better I would go to some of the bigger matches but such is the life you know? But no matter what I do shoot at least one match a week, gotta love a USPSA club that meets weekly. lol

Joe W.

I always detail strip the entire gun when I clean mine (Limited & Open). I pull every last part from the top and the bottom, except the ejector, trigger bow, link, and the scope on the open gun. I do this before every match that I want to win (which is all of them :) ).

I dont scrub and worry about getting "every little bit of crud" but I do a thorough job of cleaning & lubing the gun. Then like Joe said, I really get serious and try to get in all the nooks and crannies at least before every major match if not more. I guess it depends on how many majors I plan on going to in a year. Last 2 years I went to 10 majors each year. This year it will probably only be 8, so that means a serious deep cleaning at least 8 times this season. If you go to less than 5 majors in a season then yes the gun needs to be cleaned periodicly inbetween every 500 - 1000 rounds.

If I based my cleaning schedule on round count I would have to clean it thouroughly twice a week, during the serious part of the season where I may be practicing with 300-400 rounds with each practice, and practicing 2 - 3 times a week.

I AGREE!!!!! :bow: Thats the way i do it.It will take you 10-15 minutes to do it.There is no room for malfunction,local match or Major match..I clean mine b-4 the match.. :cheers:

Everyone's different. I like to win, and I wont let a dirty gun hold me back. Why would you ? It's virtually free to clean a gun, just takes 10 minutes of your time.