Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting lead

ebg3

I realized today, after shooting 1000rds of lead this week, that lead bullets suck! My gun is filthy, the barrel is leaded, and I can taste the bullet smoke as I type this. I sure wish jacketed prices would come down. I don't know how much more of this I can take!

I hear ya'.

I have 1000k of LaserCast 200gr SWC's on my shelf that I'm looking at....I'd like to load them up and get classified in SS in two week's at Sirocco38's place, but...well, they're still in the box. :/

Roughly 3 years ago, when I first started this, after a couple months, I had my doc run a lead-level test, thinking it would be a good idea for a baseline. Was slightly high, and I've been sticking my head in the sand ever since, and haven't had a follow-up. :/

You do not want to make babies if you have lead in your blood.

That's true. I know a guy who worked at an indoor range. Got sick, his lead level was a 70, and he had two small kids.

He found a new job.

I had mine checked and it came back normal.

I just finished casting 250 or so cast bullets.

They're a few thing you have to remember.

WASH YOUR HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not put your hands in you mouth.

Ventilation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Primers are just about as bad a cast bullets.

Handling fired brass is just about as bad as cast bullets.

When I dump my tumbler I do it outside.

When I cast bullets I am set up in front of double doors.

The first thing I do when I shoot, load, anything is wash my hands.

I have had my level checked, it is at the high side of normal but I figure as much as I shoot, load, cast, ect....... I am going to be on the high side of normal.

Lead is bad but quite a bit comes from primers, not lead bullets.

Your hygiene is the most important. Not just bathing/washing. I was at probably 10 matches last year where shooter were passing around bags of cookies/chips. Heck one was eating popcorn out of the bag then shooting/pasting/picking brass

A blood cell lives a few months so lead "blood levels" can be just a "sample" transient measurement. Its the lead stuck in your organs that provide all the fun and excitement later.

Eddie, Just go dig up some of the cans of money buried in your back yard. I know you have plenty. :o

Now thats funny coming from you. When are you back? Miss you at the matches.... Eddies out of open again. I dont have large enough support group and he keep falling back on the limited gig.

Another reason for good lead-hygiene practice is to keep from carrying it home to your kids. They are especially affected by lead.

BTW in addition to the organs lead tends to bio-accumulate in your bones and is very slow to leave.

I think the current level is 40 micrograms/liter of blood...the level at which children are considered to be "lead poisoned"...and it is very very hard to treat. (Chelation helps but not too much) Just for comparison, those little packages of sugar/sweetener/etc are 1 gram...1 million micrograms to a gram...and lead is much more dense than sweetener.

AND, I've seen this a good bit at ranges...people wearing half-face respirators to reduce exposure. If you didn't shave your face THAT morning, you are doing almost no good what so ever. I know someone will say some is better than none. I would argue this too. A half-face respirator can reduce your cardio capacity by 1/3. Air will follow the path of least resistance and go right to where the seal is broken.

Also for those of you who work in respirators you know that in the workplace you are required to be fit tested as the is no once size fits all faces...

I've meaning to post on respirator use for some time...

hk_mtbr

Altough I shoot lead every once in a while, I get merlin to do all the loading. I'm a shooter, not a loader. Merlin has looked a little peaked lately.

Let me see symptoms of severe lead poisoning include; Confusion,stomach cramps, fatigue, memory loss, seizures, buying too many guns, posting in humor forum hourly

As to treatment its MUCH better to not get contaminated

Chelation works it just real expensive and takes time.

Edited by BSeevers

My lead levels are checked ever 2 years. I went from 19 in 2006 to 35 this year. Doc says it explains the head ache I had for 2 months. I am currently taking an herbal heavy metal cleanse and having slow but good results (down to 29 in 3 weeks) It is a regimen of chelating vitamins.

I shoot indoors about 6 hours a week but I now wear a respirator. When I am finished shooting, I use DB lead wipes from Brownell to clean my hands and face. When I get home, the clothes go in the wash and I go in the shower.

When I reload, I use Clear Shield Lotion and I wear gloves.

Since I am also exposed to lead at times in my trade, I am now more careful than I ever have been in the past. My 22lr bulls eye ammo is the only lead I shoot but as others have said, the primers etc can be as much of a hazzard.

I hate lead but sometimes it is necessary.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Used to work as a Firearm instructor. We had an indoor range so I pent many hours on the range inhaling lead. In the 4 months since I left my mood has changed considerably. This could be that I have less lead in my system or that I am not so cranky from working with smart-ass newbie shooters anymore. Any case I am now a much friendlier person. :D And you better believe that or else!

My last check put me in the high 20's. Doctor said that vitamin C taken 500 mg at morning and night will help reduce the levels.

It can't hurt, may even help my resistance to colds, but it's best to reduce your exposure, especially if your levels are high.

FWIW

dj