Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Driving the back roads

Merlin Orr

Last week I was called to work the (terrible) damages caused by the recent tornado outbreak in Tennessee. I have a very large area I am working in that basically covers the West end of the state. I have been driving several hundred miles a day - mostly down little country back roads. The scenery is so nice I find myself tooling along at 40 mph most of the time....... :wub:

Damn this is pretty country. :cheers:

I did the same thing when I worked for Qwest Communications before I retired. I covered about 5K square miles and loved taking the back roads. I enjoyed the scenery of rural New Mexico. met a lot of really nice folks. You know you are on the rural roads when folks wave as you pass them on the road. I soon discovered that there were two or three ways to get anywhere. Wonderful memories. Way better than being stuck in an office.

CYa,

Pat

Last week I was called to work the (terrible) damages caused by the recent tornado outbreak in Tennessee. I have a very large area I am working in that basically covers the West end of the state. I have been driving several hundred miles a day - mostly down little country back roads. The scenery is so nice I find myself tooling along at 40 mph most of the time....... :wub:

yup. looks great on a motorcycle.

I'd rather take an a$$-whipping than the highway on a motorcycle.

We could arrange that. :rolleyes:

Besides ...... whats wrong with the highway on a motorcycle ... on the back-roads of Ohio ... in the middle of Very Big Bug Season ... with no helmet on ? :huh:

highways, interstates.... bleeehhh... boring. much nicer seeing the small towns, family-owned restaurants that you don't see from the interstate.

big bugs? hmmm, the biggest would be the cicadas a couple years ago. kinda like getting hit with a cream-filled donut.

southeast ohio.... hocking hills..... great riding.

I used to run a course on a highway(St Rt 26) behind my house. So many turns and twists my brakes and tires would be smokin at the end. Being young and dumb I went for lower times every run.

Car & Driver voted it one of the 10 best roads in the country so I was very lucky to live there. Its in Southeast OH.

I've smelled the roses .... good way to get stung by a bee ;)

Too bad all we have here in the back-roads of Ohio / Indiana is CORN! :angry:

When 45DV8 and I came up that way to shoot last year, we thought the whole drive was fantastic. And personally I love the gigantic corn fields there!

Merlin,

Thanks for bring this up. All too often we are in too big of a hurry to take the back roads. I love them. A few years ago, We decided to take the back road from Birmingham, AL to where we were camping at Lake Guntersville near Huntsville. We came across the oldest covered bridge in Alabama still in use. There's not much like rural Alabama in the Springtime.

dj

Back roads are great.

BillS, We take Rt 26 to an IDPA match at Fort Harmer. We come in from The Woodsfield end. :cheers: Too bad I sold my Supra and now drive it in a 4-Runner. :unsure:

When we go to the Carolina Cup we take a state route across lower Virginia and across the Blue Ridge Mountains. Some of it is 4 lane but it is back road 4 lane. Little stores beside the road and stuff like that. It's a relaxing drive.

I used to run a course on a highway(St Rt 26) behind my house. So many turns and twists my brakes and tires would be smokin at the end. Being young and dumb I went for lower times every run.

Car & Driver voted it one of the 10 best roads in the country so I was very lucky to live there. Its in Southeast OH.

Went right into my home town. :)

It wasn't even the best in the area, must have been all the further C&D ever got. :cheers:

Backroads and nice towns are great.

(Jenny gets car sick. :( )

Ah, back roads.

I used to date a tall lanky blonde who used to love driving back roads starkers. All that room in her '66 Mercedes 260. I have never looked at backroads the same way again. We even drove the back way to Vegas that way and went skinnydipping in one of those water tanks they have for the cattle they run out that way. Lucky for us we never got stopped by the CHP. Would have been a little embarrassing.

Ah, back roads.

My wife and I go to the RM3G shoot in Raton NM. We take a motor home just so we can take our time, go the road less traveled, and see the different scenery. Leave a couple of days early and slow things down a little in life. Makes for a great vacation.

Life gets so busy sometimes, it is nice to slow it down and learn how to be human again. Stopped to help a stranger change a flat tire for the first time in years. Felt good.

Back roads are great.

BillS, We take Rt 26 to an IDPA match at Fort Harmer. We come in from The Woodsfield end. :cheers: Too bad I sold my Supra and now drive it in a 4-Runner. :unsure:

Bill

The Marietta to Woodsfield run is the best. Thats where I grew up.

Back roads are great.

Bill

The Marietta to Woodsfield run is the best. Thats where I grew up.

Bill,

We live south of Barnesville in St Rt 800. We drive 26 to the new Fort Harmar range which is a few miles out of Marietta on 26. Fun drive. It used to be more fun in my Supra. :cheers:

I used to spend summers on my uncles farm in The Ozarks. I learned to drive when I was 12 on those back roads.

Great memories but none like JimmyZip. :cheers:

I would find a terrapin from time to time crossing the road and stop, get out, and paint a # on it. My uncle or one of his friends would call up the house and say, "We found # 5". Pretty fun stuff for a 12 YO.

yup. looks great on a motorcycle.

I'd rather take an a$$-whipping than the highway on a motorcycle.

If you love the motorcycle, try a bicycle.

I rode my recumbent "think lawnchair on wheels" from Canada to Key West, FL. average speed on the flats were 14 mph.

Now that is a great way to see the country. :cheers:

So may great places, great spaces, great views.. followed by an unchained do that just wanted a big chuck out of my calf.

GOD BLESS THE USA!

Too bad all we have here in the back-roads of Ohio / Indiana is CORN! :angry:

For the history buffs, Indiana and Ohio have dozens of old covered bridges still in use. Most folks have never seen one. A nice diversion driving the back roads.

Bill

I've been on several 'covered bridge' rides that visit many of the covered bridges here in SW Ohio. Some are still in use; some aren't.

One ride the wife and I took was the back roads of southern IN and into Ky. We stopped at a general store and checked out a horse and buggy that was tied up outside. When we walked out of the store the horse and buggy owners were over checking out our motorcycle.

not too many horse and buggies or little country stores on the interstates.

Edited by pas44

For the history buffs, Indiana and Ohio have dozens of old covered bridges still in use. Most folks have never seen one. A nice diversion driving the back roads.

Bill

>>> Try this link here for covered bridges in Ohio<<<

Cool the Hills/Hildreth in Washington Co is where I used to run qualifications. See how twisty 26 is there? :cheers: