Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering a Glock, questions....

JDBraddy

I recenly decided I wanted a better carry gun, so I put a gun I don't shoot anymore on consignment at a local gunshop. While I was there, I looked at several potential canidates, P7, XD's, M&P's, Sigs, and Glocks. I decided when/if the gun on consignment sells, I'd like to try a Glock 23 or 19. I already reload 9mm, but .40 would only require a set of dies, and a powder funnel for my Dillon. I'll need extra magazines, a good IWB holster, and will want good night sights. Any reccomendations/advice on those, or anything else I should consider before buying my first glock?

Thanks,

I'd keep it simple and get the G19. You're already set up for it. I like Concealco IWB holsters and his turnaround times aren't bad compared to the other big holster makers. I think the Glock night sights are fine. Check with CDNN or Summit Gun Broker for mags.

Edited by AustinMike

The G23 is the best all around Glock there is, IMHO. I carried one on duty for about 12 years, and still carry one (retired). Just last weekend I shot a possible 500 in a GSSF indoor league match with my carry G23, using WW white box ammo. Hard to beat that!

If you have a choice for a carry gun, opt for bigger is better. 40 trumps 9mm. Of course it could be said that .45 trumps .40, which is probably true, but then you are looking at different guns.

If you can, getting both a 19 and a 23 makes sense. The 19 for cheap practice, and the 23 for serious social discourse!

You could also get a 9mm conversion barrel for your 23 for practice. But you can't get a .40 conversion barrel for a 19 (the .40 rounds won't fit the breach face).

Edited by jobob

By far the g-19... every overseas C.I.A. and special ops officer and under cover security have and use the g-19. Why you ask 9MM.. you can get it anywhere in the world... 40 you cant. Only in the USA you can get 40 most of the time. 9mm can carry plenty of heat with all the options out there anyhow. Plus if you can actually shoot half ass thats all you need....... lots of people have this opinion

Edited by onyx

When I carry, it's a G19 loaded with 124gr+P JHP.

SA is right, don't carry reloads in a gun that may have to be used for CCW, if any local agencies carry 9mm find out what they carry and use that.

I'm not a LEO or a lawyer, so this just my .02.

Bruce

By far the g-19... every overseas C.I.A. and special ops officer and under cover security have and use the g-19. Why you ask 9MM.. you can get it anywhere in the world... 40 you cant. Only in the USA you can get 40 most of the time. 9mm can carry plenty of heat with all the options out there anyhow. Plus if you can actually shoot half ass thats all you need....... lots of people have this opinion

Yep! If you plan on going to Europe or Japan, for example, be sure to pack your 9mm. Of course, you'll be in jail for the rest of your life, but rest assured that your host country will have ammo for your G19!

My first pistol was a 23, if I had it to do over it would have been a 19. I still have the 23, shoot it well, and it's my carry gun; but a 19 is 2 more rounds in a mag and cheaper ammo. Most agree that current 9mm defensive ammo is effective.

For the same size package, one gets more rounds with 9mm...........as in 45acp versus 9mm and even 40.

Its nearly a two to one round count advantage with 9mm versus 45 for same size package.

Everything is a compromise...........size, round count, caliber, weight, availability, etc...............improve one of these and you suffer somewhere else.

BB

Edited by BlackBuzzard

IMHO I would look at the effectively of the caliber and then choose the best gun in that caliber. For carry purposes I would rather carry a 40 than a 9mmP because it is more effective. I would feed it the best bullets I can get my hands on. Economy plays no part here I do not cost my or my loved ones life in Rands or Dollars so only the very best will do.

Off course here in South Africa we have a very small choice but personally I would go for the 135gr Corbin designed by Peter Pi.

I understand that you have a different judiciary than us because here we reload if we cannot get hold of decently loaded factory cartridges. The Judge looks at whether you acted within the grounds of self defence after you kill an attacker. Only if it is found that you exceeded the grounds of self defense that the court considers the tool you used to commit the offense and that is used in sentencing.