Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production draw speed?

Ridgerunnr

I know everyone is different and that accuracy is foremost..BUT what is a good speed to shoot for? Production class, Bladetech holster...Speed from surrender position to "click" on the dryfire....?

Smooth is fast, fast is smooth. Set a moderate par time, 2 secs. When you consistantly beat it, take time off.

Learn to push yourself, but do it correctly. Just because you can draw and shoot one round at 3 yards in 0.65 seconds

doesn't mean crap if you have 0.35 splits and 0.40 transistions. The grip HAS to be perfect to do your best.

Steve Moore's words are ringing in my head "you only draw once per stage during a match."

I know everyone is different and that accuracy is foremost..BUT what is a good speed to shoot for? Production class, Bladetech holster...Speed from surrender position to "click" on the dryfire....?

live fire..my production draw.

doing a one shot drill just for time..at 7 yards..around .8

in a match..I go for a .95 to 1.10

I am using a Bladetech SRB..no DOH..with a CZ..

In a match (when I was shooting production) 7-10 yards to a wide open target ran 1.20-1.25 for an sure fire alpha. Reduced par time drills, I work it down to .80 without the "click", just seeing the sights on target. The "click" doesn't seem to have much value anymore.

I am breaking down each movement and not going to the next until I reach a goal for each. I practice draws to be consistent at first. So far I am at 1 to 1.10 evertime. I will get better but am pretty happy with speed and where my grip is. No sense in a lightning draw once per match then screw it all up due to crappy grip. I am moving on to target transitions and splits. I was just curious where I am at in comparison to others in time...

Anyone can get grooved in and have a "fast" draw, but what is more important is what you can do on demand in a match.

My fastest is around .8 after grooving in and getting lucky, 1.1 for an A every time while practicing on an open target at 7y.

As you can see, the modern Kydex Production division holster for USPSA is about as fast as any "race" holster - such as the type typically used in Open or in IPSC production division.

I rarely shoot Limited anymore. But If I return to it, I will use a Kydex DOH style holster insted of my race holsters.

1.3 or so with a Glock out of a DOH, 1.4 or so with a true double action gun. I shoot production 2 times a year whether I need to or not. If I shot those guns more it would be 1.0 and 1.1 pretty quick, but I just strap them on and shoot the match. Then they go back in the locker until next year LOL.

There is a LOT more to this game than a draw, when I first started I worked HARD on the draw and could pull a .8X on demand at 7 yards with a Limited gun, it went downhill from there as I moved through the course. I have almost stopped working on the draw, now I just maintain it more or less and keep working on transitions and movement when I do dryfire. My draws have slipped back to a 1.0-1.1 with a Limited gun and about the same with an Open gun, the 2 or 3 tenths I give back are more than made up by where my energy is spent. Get a decent draw that works EVERY time, and work on movement and transitions, that will move you up much faster. Same goes for reloads, they aren't nearly as important as movement and transitions.

• 2 weeks later...

We hosted a Steel Challenge Regional last year with a "Leatherslap" Side Match. Sevigny won it with his open gun with times in the low .8's. The better local shooters got into the .9's...COF was 5 attempts at an 8" steel plate from 7yds. I was busy compiling scores but went out the next day with a G19 in a Comp-Tac paddle and got to .89-.91.

My personal best is .86, I'm comfortable with 1.1's to 1.2's to start a scenario with a target which can be engaged from the starting box in the 7-10yd distance range.

I've routinely do what I call "hyper-speed" practice both live-fire and dry-fire (Airsoft too). I do it for HG draws and mount drills with SG/Carbine (PB for long gun is .42 buzzer to bang which I've done more than once...I figure I should be under .50 with long gun for up close targets). The value of these drills for me is less about the "Marshall Dillon" factor than it is about training my mind to go faster. You have to be careful not to overdue it (at least that's been my experience) because it can encourage sloppiness and excess "excitability". However, doing some "hyper-speed" and then running a few scenarios seems to get the old brain chugging at a good clip and I find my target recognition/transitions/reloads, etc. all go a bit quicker...it's like tuning the neural pathways.

One factor on the draw in particular I discovered through video analysis is "buzzer recognition". National Geographic Channel had an interesting Fight Science episode with some Special Forces types and a Krav Maga practitioner did a disarm by getting inside the OODA loop of a perp (simulated exercise) that had him covered at arms length using a one hand hold. They said the average human reaction time to a threat condition was .25 seconds. The Operator had the HG out of his face before the "perp-actor" could press the trigger. Time from initial movement to contact with the HG was .12. Similarly, buzzer recognition times can significantly influence net draw results. My hands probably aren't that fast but I can routinely run airsoft draws (even out of an IWB) in the .90 + or - a hundredth because my buzzer recognition is pretty good...slowing the speed down to 1/4 normal and then doing individual frame advances I see my hands start to move from a surrender position in about .12 - .14 (this isn't syncing up to a predictable start, but with a random delay).

Also, some new shooters tend to wait for the buzzer to stop sounding (up to .3) which is a habit to be cleansed from technique.

Finally, it's easy to "sync" up to the timer in dry-fire or live-fire...try to set a stretch goal in draw practice of at least .1 faster than you expect to be able to go...over time it can "pull you forward" with better time, and to avoid pointing sloppiness, aim at something small (I typically use a paster about 3/4" square).

Good luck!

CZ52'

• 2 weeks later...

7 yard 'A' hits 1.2 to 1.3 something in my production rig.

Slower by about 2 or 3 tenths over the last 10 years. :angry2:

Slower still by 4 or 5 tenths since 1988....son of a ....

Has it really been TWENTY years since 1988 ???

Must be. The "baby" was born that year and she's a college sophomore.

Unreal.

Jim M

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

D Class, CZ-SP01, Bladetech DOH

Consistent on demand .9 at 10 yards will get me an A roughly 80% of the time. If I nudge it out to 1.10- 1.20, A zone hits almost 100% of the time at the same distance.

You only draw once per stage, though, unless there are multiple strings involved.

I just checked this out today with my PX4... true DA gun. I had it down to .84, but most were around 1 and for the plate rack it was 1.2-.4 I haven't been using it long, but I can't see where a race holster would give me much. My fastest out of a speed shooting open was .74 I think. That open is a big hunk compared to that little PX4

I am just getting going so far this year (range had snow on it till just a couple weeks ago)

My quicker draws on a bill drill run about a .70.. usually more like an .80

On a plate rack at 10 yards I am more like .92-1.05

Longer shots (20+ yards) are usually 1.20-1.30

These are not match times, practice times for sure. In a match If I see a draw under a second I am usually happy with it.

I am just getting going so far this year (range had snow on it till just a couple weeks ago)

My quicker draws on a bill drill run about a .70.. usually more like an .80

On a plate rack at 10 yards I am more like .92-1.05

Longer shots (20+ yards) are usually 1.20-1.30

These are not match times, practice times for sure. In a match If I see a draw under a second I am usually happy with it.

I get a much larger gap when I get out to 20+ Ben... I'm about 1.4-.5 That's not a longer draw, but more time on the sight and thinking smooth on the trigger.

Edited by JThompson