Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What makes a $2,000 pistol better?

Cy Soto

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. You get more attention from the girls with a custom open blaster. Girls do not say, "Wow, is that a Glock?" They do say "Wow! Cool looking blaster! Can I touch it? Who made it? Is that one of Benny Hill's? That's Hot!

I guess I am hanging out at the wrong ranges. Not too many girls shooting USPSA in my neck of the woods. :lol:

And all the pretty ladies that do go are married and they attend with their hubbies (who can shoot!) :surprise:

2. You get more attention from the girls with a custom open blaster. Girls do not say, "Wow, is that a Glock?" They do say "Wow! Cool looking blaster! Can I touch it? Who made it? Is that one of Benny Hill's? That's Hot!

I guess I am hanging out at the wrong ranges. Not too many girls shooting USPSA in my neck of the woods. :lol:

And all the pretty ladies that do go are married and they attend with their hubbies (who can shoot!) :surprise:

For sure not the best place to hit on a married woman... not that I would ever do such a thing anyway. :unsure:

Let me recap this entire thread.

:yawn:

I find your comment to be rude and uncalled for. :angry2: Contrary to your biased opinion I have found it quite enlightening and I would like to thank all of the posters that took the time to reply to it with insightful information. As I said in the beginning of the thread, I am not ready to purchase a new $2,000 pistol at this time but, if that time ever comes, I understand now what it is that I’d be looking for in it.

To all other poster: Thank You! :cheers:

Cy,

in Benny's defense --- this thread's been around in one form or another several times since the beginning of the forum. For those of us who have contributed to these in the past, it's fairly natural to react with this sentiment: "Why are we still talking about this?"

Look on the bright side --- no one suggested you do a search, and a bunch of people contributed their two cents to the discussion, including several people who have had this discussion in the past.....

Once we break 200 posts, unless there's something significantly new, we're locking this one down.....

Sorry to pull your string Cy- but what I think Benny is getting at- or at least I am, is that this subject has been hashed and rehashed soooo many times that it is getting redundant. I am sure Benny has heard it hashed out waaay more than me, and I think it is beating a dead horse. Again sorry if you were affended, and I didn't mean it as a personal attack.

Edited by Rocket35

They thought that buying an AR was going to make them better.

I see people come to USPSA as new shooters. The first thing they HEAR is about all the shjt they need to buy. The first thing they SEE is $2k (and up!) guns with ultra hicap mags. Then they come to this forum, and the first thing people TELL them to do is to go buy THIS, THAT, THE OTHER, and ONE OF THESE. Rarely if ever is a newer shooter told to spend the money on bullets and shoot the gun they have. Flex did it recently, and he is the only one that I remember doing it. There is more to getting better at shooting than buying crap.

Money is tight, this sport is already expensive, and I feel that we do ourselves a serious disservice by emphasizing that spending money somehow makes you "better" at this sport. It sets unrealistically high expectations for new shooters. They come, play "monkey see monkey do" and buy some of those fabulous guns, and then..............they leave. Never to come back.

I could not agree more - and very well said! I see the SAME thing here in our area.

Frankly, I am sick of seeing USPSA being the "S_I and Glock Show" - and frankly, the situation is bad for America. Why?

The high dollar guns so prevelent in our sport DO have a profound impact on the handgun owners we are trying to attract. The reality is, we (USPSA) are tiny. We are miniscule. Go to the SHOT show sometime & you will see what I mean. Even the Cowboy/single action shooters are far larger than us - and WE came before them! Not only that, USPSA and IDPA are supposed to be the "practical" sports - but we're smaller than a group using replica antiques.

And what do you see every time you go into a gunshop? Its not S_I. The gun-owning public is buying handguns more than ever. But, when they show up at our shoots, they see or are told (or both) that what they just bought is somehow "not good enough" - at least not good enough for "our" shoots. And then they are gone. True - there are many reasons newbies don't stick with the sports besides the universal $2000 guns. But the prevelence of $2000 guns is a big part of the turn off (including the $2000 CDP guns).

So, USPSA/IDPA stay tiny & insignificant because "handgun-owning-America" stays away from us. That is, I believe, a lose-lose situation that hurts America since we could otherwise help out the millions of handgun owners who desperately NEED help with their gun-handling and shooting skills.

And, is what the average own really "not good enough" ?? Even for L10? Hardly. The situation could be improved if they saw & met USPSA competitors shooting guns like those that are actually sold in the average gunshop, and sold to the very people we need to attract: the average gun owner.

Finally, I appreciate our sponsors (thanks guys). But the $2000+ guns that have been the trend over the past 15 years and that virtually EVERYONE uses in Limited and Open have become counter-productive and unecessary. I hope that trend changes as it would be in everyone's best interest.

Carlos you get credit for me making this post.

I bring up a point that has been evading me until I read your

comments about driving away newbies.

I am not sure the 2,000 dollar gun requirement is doing the trick.

I think the height of the mountain is what scares them off.

what I see here is that you are all studing closely;

what it takes for man and machine to get a simple task done in a timely fashion.

It is competition that scares them off.

My car racing experience is the only thing that is even close.

what I see here is that you guys are looking for ANTHING that will

help you in any possible way find

the path to faster and more accurate.

From taking the time to study yourself during dryfiring

to finding a way to break shots by just thinking 'bang'.

that is stiff competition.

What I hear about the 1000 and 3000 pistols is that little is gained.

I can see as the difference is what others may think.

mainly, how serious you are about the game....

miranda

Edited by Miranda

Hmm.

I am pretty sure there is no place above National Champion.

I think there is.

You just need to go international (which Dave did).

LOL, I was thinking the same thing.

We have been talking about Limited division or S_I 2K vs Glock's and such. Did Dave win Standard at a WS with a Glock?

No Dave won Production at the WS.

I think Luca meant to say that there is a place above US National Champion, winning the World Shoot.

Thanks for catching that Spook - I should have been more clear. My point is:

a) there is no significant diference in accuracy between the stock Production division glock Dave used and a Glock used in Limited or IPSC's Standard.

B) Dave's win at the world shoot required him to: 1) shoot MORE accurately due to the Minor scoring for Production division and 2) IPSC's targets are smaller and often further than USPSA's targets.

c) The Limited Glock is more than accurate enough for USPSA (that is the point Flex was making - and he has the stats & experience to prove it).

So, we can collectively dismiss as untrue the argument that: "you need to spend $2000 for a sufficiently accurate USPSA gun." It simply is not true.

Carlos, I agree 100% (as you can read in earlier posts). I think it's just a mental thing.

The whole Dave Sevigny thing was just a response to BSeevers comment that there is no higher goal to attain in IPSC than the US Nationals. More of a thread drift really.

Dave is an awesome shooter and proof that you can reach the top with a Glock.

Another aspect that we have brought up before on the forum (but not lately) is that of control.

Being guys...we need to do something on our quest to improve. For instance, I have known guys (in many endeavours) to bust their ass working on a goal. Sometimes they are working themselves into a hole, because they are doing the wrong stuff. So, they are digging as fast as they can, but they aren't getting any closer to being out of the hole.

I know that, when I was coming up, I often didn't know what the next thing was that I could do to improve. I distinctly remember moving up in class (a few times) and just sitting there and wondering what the hell was next. I felt like I was doing all I could do...so how was I going to gain another 5-10% in my shooting?!?

Buying "better" gear...that is something we can control. It is something we can do. Especially if we don't know what else to do.

Glock are good for winning more Glocks, I used a beat up old LEO trade-in G22 in to win 4 new ones :D

I now have 8 but only use them for Glock matches, car trips and camping (Benny's reasoning). For competing I have 4 SV's and one STI.

Cy, ask Bonnie Ryder if you can borrow her G35 rig to shoot limited at a match some time. Just use WWB 180's in it. Then ask someone else if they would loan you an STI for a match (someone always has an extra). Then decide which path you want to take. Either way, practice, go take a class from Avery, and dry fire. That's really all there is to it.

When I get back to CO in a year or so, if you still have this question, I will take you to HPPS with a bucket-o-bullets, and my STI and G24 and we will figure it out.

Cy, ask Bonnie Ryder if you can borrow her G35 rig to shoot limited at a match some time. Just use WWB 180's in it. Then ask someone else if they would loan you an STI for a match (someone always has an extra). Then decide which path you want to take. Either way, practice, go take a class from Avery, and dry fire. That's really all there is to it.

When I get back to CO in a year or so, if you still have this question, I will take you to HPPS with a bucket-o-bullets, and my STI and G24 and we will figure it out.

How's the red blaster treaten' ya?!

It's sweet. I have dedicated myself to making M in production. So, it doesn't see a lot of use, but I still break it out for dry fire practice about once a month. It's gonna get absolutely ran like a raped ape when I make that M card though.

It's sweet. I have dedicated myself to making M in production. So, it doesn't see a lot of use, but I still break it out for dry fire practice about once a month. It's gonna get absolutely ran like a raped ape when I make that M card though.

Cool B)

The whole Dave Sevigny thing was just a response to BSeevers comment that there is no higher goal to attain in IPSC than the US Nationals. More of a thread drift really.

That is not even close to what I said.

If you read what I said, in context. The thread is about comparing a 2K S_I to a Glock.

I made the comparison that it didn't matter to Dave in winning the USPSA Nationals. I didn't say anything about IPSC. If Dave would win the Standard division WS with a Glock that would go a long way to show further that a Glock is not inferior to a 2K S_I.

But since a majority of the top Limited/Standard shooters are USA shooters I guess you could infer reasonable that Dave's USPSA Nationals win is comparable, though not the same at all, as a Standard WS win.

[Let me stick my moderator hat on for a second...]

I deleted a handful of "post bump" posts. Come on folks. There are people here that click in to hear different perspectives and information.

Also, lets not drift the thread into IPSC/USPSA stuff. Bill didn't mean to spark that debate. I think he was simply pointing out that beating Robbie with iron sights at a "big match" was a pretty lofty achievement.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

- Admin

Cy,

in Benny's defense --- this thread's been around in one form or another several times since the beginning of the forum. For those of us who have contributed to these in the past, it's fairly natural to react with this sentiment: "Why are we still talking about this?"

My apologies Nik; I had not considered that. Thanks for clarifying.

Sounds like a plan... I'll see you in a year!! :cheers:

That is not even close to what I said.

If you read what I said, in context. The thread is about comparing a 2K S_I to a Glock.

I made the comparison that it didn't matter to Dave in winning the USPSA Nationals. I didn't say anything about IPSC. If Dave would win the Standard division WS with a Glock that would go a long way to show further that a Glock is not inferior to a 2K S_I.

But since a majority of the top Limited/Standard shooters are USA shooters I guess you could infer reasonable that Dave's USPSA Nationals win is comparable, though not the same at all, as a Standard WS win.

I'm sorry Bill, I must have misinterpreted the phrase: "I am pretty sure there is no place above National Champion". I didn't mean to spark an IPSC/USPSA debate.

I'll get back on topic.