1911 Single Stack Elitist Club

zhunter

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was good to see you again Boz and 45dv8. Thanks so much for the educational day on the range. Watching the video shows a lot. First off, I run like a girl, or like I am scared of the gun or something. I've certainly got to work on that. At my first match ever I was told by another shooter how he fell on a stage and discharged a round down range getting himself DQ'd. Not only that, but he had a nice new hole in his shoe, barely missing his foot. It's hard to get those images out of your mind on less than desirable footing. Was a great time today none the less!

Enjoyed shooting with you also. Like I said we have ALL had issues like you did yesterday, maybe not all in one day, but we have had them. I really liked the way you rang the 6 steels. Cool!!

Sounded like he was ringing freakin' church bells! Very impressive.

Glad you could join us yesterday, Bobby. It was a great squad and a great match. See you Sunday.

You don't realize how sloppy you were until you go back and look at the video. I've still got a LOT to learn!!!

th_CIMG3146.jpg

Ok, Ok, DMS, probation reduced to one day. Twenty SS's trumps previous error in typing judgement, plus I think Merlin might be getting a little soft hearted....... :yawn:

Thanks Boz. It wasn't really an error in typing judgement, I just didn't remember and for some reason kept thinking of Elizabeth B. Browning. Which was weird, because I didn't really like her poetry that I was required to read when I was in High School. And after all the detention that I got while in High School and all the years I spent in the military I guess that "I can do that standing on my head". :ph34r:

Was good to see you again Boz and 45dv8. Thanks so much for the educational day on the range. Watching the video shows a lot. First off, I run like a girl, or like I am scared of the gun or something. I've certainly got to work on that. At my first match ever I was told by another shooter how he fell on a stage and discharged a round down range getting himself DQ'd. Not only that, but he had a nice new hole in his shoe, barely missing his foot. It's hard to get those images out of your mind on less than desirable footing. Was a great time today none the less!

Enjoyed shooting with you also. Like I said we have ALL had issues like you did yesterday, maybe not all in one day, but we have had them. I really liked the way you rang the 6 steels. Cool!!

Sounded like he was ringing freakin' church bells! Very impressive.

Glad you could join us yesterday, Bobby. It was a great squad and a great match. See you Sunday.

You don't realize how sloppy you were until you go back and look at the video. I've still got a LOT to learn!!!

th_CIMG3146.jpg

Damn Bobby, did you HAVE to get my big ass in that pic???

I can't stay away any longer. I need to come home. Here is my well used 1911. I have not shot any SSD yet, but this pistol got me to "B" Class in Limited and L-10. I was deployed until Jan 08, and now I'm waiting to see the surgeon for my elbow. I will shoot SSD this summer with a little luck.

Can I play with you Cool Kids?

(edited for spelling)

North

Status: Voting Member on the merit if service to our country

Welcome :cheers:

OK, I need a little help here. I practiced today for the first time since January 30th, and decided to do something different. I set-up El Prez to practice on.

My HHF was a 9.5914, which was 5.63 seconds down 6. Next was a 8.9922, at 6,454 down 2

Most were in the 6.20 - 6.30 range, down about 5 to 6 per run. Draws were in the 1.35 range, fastest were several 1.22's

So, how does this stack up? What kind of a percentage would those runs be?????

Thanks

OK, I need a little help here. I practiced today for the first time since January 30th, and decided to do something different. I set-up El Prez to practice on.

My HHF was a 9.5914, which was 5.63 seconds down 6. Next was a 8.9922, at 6,454 down 2

Most were in the 6.20 - 6.30 range, down about 5 to 6 per run. Draws were in the 1.35 range, fastest were several 1.22's

Thanks

Doesn't this belong in the training area?? :P

Thanks

Your 9.5924 HF would be a 88.7994% according to the genie in the bottle (http://www.classifiercalc.com)

Here is a breakdown of the times needed with the points down to shoot the current HHF

PTS TIME

60 - 5.55

59 - 5.46

58 - 5.36

57 - 5.27

56 - 5.18

55 - 5.09

54 - 4.99

Alan

Edited to format

Edited by Alan Meek

Here is a nice old Colt that I saved.

This was one of my uncles old hardball guns. It is a 70 series Colt that he had

one of the AMU's gunsmiths Jack Best do for him in 1989.

It had the Bo-mar hanging of the rear of the gun, the really tall front sight, and stippled front strap.

but it was set up to be a 2inch gun at 50 yards with hardball ammo, and it is. everything else was stock on the gun exept for the barrel bushing

which you almost need a freaking hammer to pound it off.

He has had health problems and a stroke over the past 8 years and doesn't shoot anymore.

So I saved this from a bag in the trunk of his car, the hammer was following, and it was in

pretty rough shape, but the rust wiped off and there was no pitting.

I had Gary Growe a local gunsmith in Columbus, IN (he builds some really nice limited and open guns)

fix her up to more "current" standards

He moved the Bo-mar foward and buried it

replaced the staked front sight, he dovetailed in a new a one

put in a Ed Brown beavertail, single side extended safety, extended mag release, added a S&A magwell and blended it in,

recut and flared the ejection port and undercut the trigger.

put in a Nowlin trigger with Nowlin sear spring, and C&S hammer, sear and disconnector with a really nice 3 pound trigger.

Touched it up here and there with some cold blue and now it is back in business and ready to run.

Sure this should be in the gallery, but really only single stack guys would appreciate it.....

post-2563-1207251990.jpgpost-2563-1207252010.jpgpost-2563-1207252019.jpg

It had the Bo-mar hanging of the rear of the gun, the really tall front sight, and stippled front strap.

but it was set up to be a 2inch gun at 50 yards with hardball ammo, and it is. everything else was stock on the gun exept for the barrel bushing

He has had health problems and a stroke over the past 8 years and doesn't shoot anymore.

So I saved this from a bag in the trunk of his car, the hammer was following, and it was in

I had Gary Growe a local gunsmith in Columbus, IN (he builds some really nice limited and open guns)

put in a Ed Brown beavertail, single side extended safety, extended mag release, added a S&A magwell and blended it in,

put in a Nowlin trigger with Nowlin sear spring, and C&S hammer, sear and disconnector with a really nice 3 pound trigger.

Touched it up here and there with some cold blue and now it is back in business and ready to run.

Sure this should be in the gallery, but really only single stack guys would appreciate it.....

Nice looking gun. I appreciate it.....but, being an old bullseye shooter, I could appreciate it more if it still was a Hardball gun. :lol:

Nice looking gun. I appreciate it.....but, being an old bullseye shooter, I could appreciate it more if it still was a Hardball gun. :lol:

Great thing is you still can, you will just enjoy it more now!!!

A place for your thumb, no hammer bite, checkered mainspring, nicer trigger.......

This was one of my uncles old hardball guns.

post-2563-1207252019.jpg

Good to see an ole blaster revived. Looks awesome. :cheers::cheers: Maybe some purdy grips to line up with the SA magwell to top her off??

This was one of my uncles old hardball guns.

post-2563-1207252019.jpg

Good to see an ole blaster revived. Looks awesome. :cheers::cheers: Maybe some purdy grips to line up with the SA magwell to top her off??

These are some cheap old Herretts stocks that were on the gun that have some real nice sharp checkering on them, he picked these up at a Camp Perry Match. Yeah I do wish they were flush with the S&A magwell, I dunno might keep them on for now.

I do usually end up with Ahrends on my 1911's, so we will see. Might look around for some checkered grips with Colt medallions.

Update photo - got some new bling! (yes, the gun is very dirty)

post-12461-1207628712.jpg

It may be the equivalent of a fart can on a Honda, but I love it! You could play darts with the mags and they'd land in their home :D

Next on the agenda: .200x.100 DP front and black park...

Thanks

NO!! It belongs here. Only the opinions of the Single Stack Elite matter.

Thanks

NO!! It belongs here. Only the opinions of the Single Stack Elite matter.

Touche' :cheers:

You're just getting back for the "internet" comment. :D

Touche' :cheers:

You're just getting back for the "internet" comment. :D

Yes!!!!

You started it!!!!!

It's on now.......

Well, actually....I was going to tease you a little when you posted about hard chrome causing sterility (or something along those lines) and you have three kids that maybe, just maybe, it's possible that you were right about the hard chrome part and not so right about the kids being yours part. :D But since we don't know each other very well, I decided not to.

Truce??? :bow: